What should I buy

dele65
Unregistered guest
I am based in the UK but will be coming to US soon. I wish to buy an amp and speakers to ship back to UK. I am interested in preamps, power amps or integrated or combo etc. Can any one suggest what to get as I do not know the American market. I am looking to spend between $1,000 and $3,000. Thnaks for your assistance

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1155
parasound and b&k would be 2 really good companys.

rotel makes some some really good bang for the buck equipment.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 598
It depends on whether you are buying for a surround system or a stereo system.

Picking out speakers is your first chore, as it determines what kind of power you need for optimal performance. Paradigm (a Canadian company) makes quality speakers at very reasonable prices. PSB (also Canadian) makes nice speakers and is often available at 20% discounts.

The power reqirements for your speakers will very much determine the power amp you will want. Whether you want a phono input and other features will determine what you want in a preamp.

Would need to know what size room you have, besides whether this is for home theatre or for stereo listening.

Bronze Member
Username: Seamus

Post Number: 40
Bear in mind that the US uses a voltage and current frequency different from that in the UK. You will need either dual-voltage equipment or a converter.

dele65
Unregistered guest
Thanks for your responses. Very much appreciated. I am buying for my lounge which is about 28ft long by 14ft wide (sorry no metric knowledge). I mainly wish to use the system for listening to music which I play on my PC (MP3). In adition, I would wish to be able to connect to my TV so that when I watch football I can enjoy a surround effect. I need a very good system. I am unsure whether it is advisable to buy a preamp and a power amp or an integrated one. I also need solid speakers.

dele65
Unregistered guest
Thanks for your responses. Very much appreciated. I am buying for my lounge which is about 28ft long by 14ft wide (sorry no metric knowledge). I mainly wish to use the system for listening to music which I play on my PC (MP3). In adition, I would wish to be able to connect to my TV so that when I watch football I can enjoy a surround effect. I need a very good system. I am unsure whether it is advisable to buy a preamp and a power amp or an integrated one. I also need solid speakers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us