Yamaha receiver w/Polk speakers

Username: Coldcut

Temecula, CA US

Post Number: 4
I recently posted asking for advice on buying a receiver/speaker combination. I related in the post that my greatest use would be movie surround sound and video gaming with my secondary use being music. Well I wound up buying the Yam RXV-2400 and a set of Polk RTi6's, Rti4's, PSi3 and PSW303. I'm still doing some minor construction in my "theater room" and have not hooked everything up yet but I was hoping to get a few opinions on the mating of the receiver and speakers. Let me know what you think. I can take the constructive criticism if there is any.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 562
Jeff,
I would not have bought this combination. While the 2400 is the best Yamaha in many years it is too thin sounding for Polk's IMO. For Polk I would have recommended Marantz, Elite or H/K. I think one major drawback to the Yamaha's is their lack of a 2 channel direct mode that keeps the sub active. Even the rxz-9 doesn't do this which is inexcuseable in such an expensive unit. At least since the 1400 and 2400 are THX receivers they finally have variable crossovers. Did you listen to this system before buying? If so then you must have liked it and that's what's important. I generally like the 2400 and the Polk's but not together but that's just my opinion.

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Newport, RI United States

Post Number: 306
Jeff, I tend to agree with "the real elitefan". I have the RTi's with a Denon, and I really think the Denon does no justice for it. Polks seem to like a mellow receiver... like those listed by Elite Fan. If I had Polks, I'd probably pair them with Elite or H/K.

But, it depends on what sound you're looking for. My Denon/Polk combo isn't what I would put in my theater room in Orlando (I have H/K AVR-525 and Paradigm Reference Eclipse/BPs there), but I tend to like it musically in my apartment. Could just be the acoustics.

Isn't this fun? Second guessing ourselves on our purchases? :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us