Noise

anonymous123
Unregistered guest
i have a car amp hooked up in my house, this is the worst way to do it but i just needed to see if the amp still worked because my freind gave it to me. its hooked up using a 12v ac adapter(positive to +12vdc,negative to ground,spliced positive to remote with a home light switch(15A) to turn it on and off) everything wors but it makes a loud buzzing noise over the music when played..... what could be the problem? please help.

rtsammy
Unregistered guest
The noise is probably 60Hz hum due to the fact that your power supply is not filtered very well, or is being loaded too heavily by your amp.

An AC voltmeter will tell a lot. If your 12Vdc supply has a significant AC reading (greater than say .01 Volts AC across the 12Vdc terminals) then you have found the problem.

A 500 watt amplifier, if cranked, can have DC amperage surges of 40+ amps, which requires a very, very large power supply. Check your ac adapters DC output rating, if its not rated at 10+ amps, then you won't have much success.
Best of luck.

Bronze Member
Username: Fryguy

Barrington Passage, Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 32
A cheep Power supply for testing with would be a couple computer power supplies tied together.
If you plan on doing much of this testing check out ftp://fryguy.ca/Public_Files/Guides-Information/Hacks-Mods/
the document is called "Using an ATX computer power supply to make a scalable multipurpose power supply.doc" hope this helps.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us