Surround sound speakers for around $800

Username: Aarondahl

Post Number: 4
I have a 10 year old Kenwood receiver and 10 year old Infinity speakers (just a pair - floor standing). I need to update to a new receiver and a new set of speakers. I want to go with an Onkyo receiver (prob. the TX-SR601) or possibly HK or Yamaha. I like the BOSE Acoustimass 15 speakers, as they sound the best in the stores - also kind of like the Klipsh. Is there a better value than the BOSE? - where can I go to hear it?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1134
Any budget?

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 560
Do not buy Bose. There is nothing worse for the money on the market. I assume you have been to Best Buy from what you have said. Check out the Athena's. Way better than Bose. Stay away from the cheap Yamaha's.

Bronze Member
Username: Lesterlyles

Post Number: 19
The monitor radius 90s are beautiful speakers.

Post Number: 7
$800 or so for the set of speakers & a sub. Is there somewhere I can hear the Athena's? I like the fact that the BOSE are so small, but I realize there are better sounding speakers, albeit a little larger - that would be ok. I will say that the BOSE Acoustimass 10 speakers sound terrible, the 15 were better - I am sure not the best though. I have also heard some good things about the Polk speakers. Any thoughts on Klipsh?

Silver Member
Username: Goldenarrow

Post Number: 124
Do NOT buy BOSE!!!

I never heard Athena but they have good reviews. Also, you can look for PSB Alphas, Paradigm Atoms. Whatever you do, DO NOT BUY B-Upload-S-E !

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 468
The above recommendations are good - beter than polk, Klipsh, and Bose.

Also consider getting this receiver - it's better than onkyo - panasonic sa-xr70 - about $340 on the web (google search for it).

You might want to get Ixos gamma cables at www.accessories4less.com after you get all the gears - they do make a difference.

Post Number: 8
I think BOSE is off the table. Does anyone know where I can hear these Athena's? Are there any other companies that are specialties like them?

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 572
Aaron,
I believe Best Buy carries Athena. I did see some of their models on the BB website a month or so ago. The only problem with that is that BB doesn't sell a receiver that's worth buying so it would seem to me kind of hard to give the Athena's a decent test run.

ABC
Unregistered guest
if you want to but online check out AudioAdvisor.com...

ABC
Unregistered guest
sorry... should say BUY online

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1175
Or you could go directly to Best Buy. Buy the Athenas, check them out in your home...if you don't like them, return it within 30 days. It's still BB policy.

Anonymous

Aaron,what you plan on doing with your old Bose stuff?

Post Number: 10
I don't have any BOSE stuff. I have a Kenwood Recvr w/ Infinity speakers. I was considering BOSE simply because they sounded the best in CC or BB - I think BOSE is the only manufacturer who seems to make sure their systems are set up properly in the stores (may explain some of the $$$). The problem I have been having is that I know there are better speakers than BOSE, but every time I listen to what should be good speakers in the stores (i.e. Klipsh or Polk), they are hooked up to a lousy receiver, or run through some system where they sound distorted. The only true way for me to determine what will be best for my situation is to buy them, bring them home, and test them out. I would like to start with better stuff in order to limit the likelihood that I will have to return components or speakers.

Username: Scottm

Pardesya, Hasharon Israel

Post Number: 1
Hi' some body can tell:?

what is the best speakers ever
which company is the best, in the speakers business

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
ditto that-

can someone tell me best on a budget (say <$500) best midrange $500-$1,200, then best period (above $1,200) or money no object...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us