Help in selecting a Receiver

Najmi Jarwala
Unregistered guest
Hello:
I've been surfing the web looking for reviews on receivers and stumbled on this awesome forum. I've learnt a few things just by reading past posts. Hoping some of the experts can guide a decision I need to make.

I need to buy a receiver to replace my Yamaha RX-730. This receiver is more than a decade old - worked great and then one channel died. The receiver drives a pair of Infinity RS-5001 tower speakers (also over a decade old, but still going strong). I've been looking at some of the newer Yamaha's ((HTR 5760, 5740, RX-V740), Denon DRA 395, etc. The current setup is stereo (with two tower speakers) and is used for listening to music (classical, jazz, opera, light rock).

I'm afraid I know little about this field. Understand from this forum that the sky is the limit on what you can spend, but I'm thinking of limiting the receiver to ~$500 or so. Within this range, am I looking at the right receiver sets, given the speakers I have?

Very much appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.
Najmi Jarwala.

Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 10
First, I would decide on stereo versus a surround system. There is a certain space requirement you will need for a good surround experience. I personally would rather have a great stereo setup over a inferior surround sound system. My personal stereo system is an Harman Kardon 3480 (120wpc) with a pair of Infinity Beta 20's. This receiver has a subwoofer input as well so it is good with movies too.

There are many options for a surround sound receiver in your price range. Decide about your priorities...mostly music or movies, and features that are important to you...dsp's, multi room options...etc...

Bronze Member

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 11
One thing too...with a Yamaha the sonic characteristics of their receiver line would probably not be the best match for your infinity speakers.

Najmi Jarwala
Unregistered guest
Thanks for your response.

I don't think the room in which this system will play is configured for a good surround sound setup so I would definitely give priority to a superior stereo setup over a inferior surround sound system. Also music is priority. Don't need multi-room options. Given the above, I would guess that DSPs won't do a lot for me??

However... is it possible to have a receiver that has decent surround sound capability, that I would not use in the current configuration, leaving open the possibility of using it if we do reconfigure the room, or would that be too much of a compromise?

Also, could you help me better understand your comment re sonic characteristics of infinity speakers not being a good match with Yamaha? That would be a key factor...

Thanks again.

Najmi.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 557
Najmi,
Allow me to weigh in here. For your budget and speakers there is no better choice than the Marantz 5400. It lists for $599 and you can buy it mail order for under $500. It has lots of power, a nice warm sound that matches the Infinity's well and will do well in either music or movie watching if in the future you go that way. At this price point it is far superior to anything Yamaha has. You need to go to the Yamaha 1400 to get a good sounding, solid performer. You can find the 1400 mail order for between $550 and $600 if you really like Yamaha and it is much better than previous models but still to me no match to the Marantz in sound quality and especially power output. I really think the 5400 is just what you are looking for.

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 457
Another good option will be to stick to stereo instead of surround sound to get better quality.

If you don't mind used, these will give you a cut or two above what you've been listening to - and do we really need 6 speakers for movies?

I rather have more quality than quantity when it comes to sound.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1097375260

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1097269583

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1097128374

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1097079797

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1097037552

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1096568040

You will like the sound of these better than most surround sound receivers - even the ones costing thousands.

Najmi Jarwala
Unregistered guest
Thanks, therealelitefan. I will definitely check out the Marantz 5400. It does sound like a very good match.

Also, James, thanks for the links on the used high-end gear. One of the stores happens to be close to where I live and I should be able to preview it in person.

One question, for my education. What is it about the sonic characteristics of the infinity speakers, that enables them to work well with a some receivers and not well with others? Are these considered "good" speakers? Again, I bought them many years ago, when I understood even less than I do today (if that is possible!)... Wondering if its worth continuing to match a receiver with these speakers or should I limp along for now and then start over with a clean slate.

Bronze Member

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 16
Infinity speakers tend to have a 'west coast' sound. Which only means a little bit brighter in the upper frequency range and slightly less lower end emphasis. The same could be said for many Polk speakers. The Yamaha receiver you were originally speaking about is very bright already, even harsh to some (including me) so a laid back speaker will sound better with it. Matching a bright Yamaha receiver with a bright speaker may at worst make your music sound like fingernails on a blackboard and at best can fatique your ears very quickly. Unless of course you like a very bright sound.

I agree with Elitefan, the Marantz 5400 he spoke of is a great buy for the money and a good match with Infinity speakers. Speakers do make a big difference. Remember that clean power is very important if you decide on the surround receiver.

In your price range Marantz and Harman Kardon are probably two of the best choices, especially if 2 channel music is a priority.

Najmi Jarwala.
Unregistered guest
That helps a lot. Will check out Marantz and HK today.

One more, hopefully last (!) question. A local dealer is pushing Denon (specifically the Denon DRA 395 which is a stereo only, retails here for south of $400). How is Denon's receiver performance characterized, especially relative to the Infinity speakers?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us