Advice needed for Rcvr w/best LFE/ Xover options

Dwight
Unregistered guest
Can anyone recommend a 5,6 or 7 channel receiver that allows full bass to the fronts while the Subwoofer is "ON". Besides DVD movies, I listen to a lot of stereo music CDs using the Dolby prologic II setting. $1200 is the max I want to spend on my upgrade. My fronts are rated below 30hz, so I want to send them the full signal, yet be able to augment them at times simultaneously with the subwoofer.

I currently have a Panasonic SAHE200 that automatically invokes a 100hz crossover when the subwoofer is turned on, even when the source is stereo.

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Newport, RI United States

Post Number: 292
Dwight: the Harman Kardon line certainly does this. (The H/K AVR-230 and AVR-330 have tripple crossover settings, and the AVR-430, AVR-630, and the grand daddy AVR-7300 have quadrupple crossover settings. I own the H/K AVR-525 and it has the tripple crossover settings.)

As long as your front speakers are set to LARGE you have 3 options for setting the sub setting. They are...

NONE
LFE (Only)
LFE/L+R (my setting!)

NONE is pretty obvious, so, this setting is when you have no subwoofer. In this setting all (full range) of signal is sent to L/R pair.

LFE is where only Low Fequency Effects from your multi-channel audio sources (directly to the .1 discrete channel) will go to the subwoofer. That is, that the sub will only function in DTS/DD or other matrixed surround modes where there are low fequency effects directed to the .1 channel.

LFE/L+R (my setting). This sends the full complement of signals to the L/R speaker pair AND sends bass information (below the cutoff frequency) to the subwoofer.

The newer H/K line (the AVR-430 and above line) has quadruple crossover settings. They use to only allow the crossover settings for 1. ) left/right, 2.) center, 3.) surround, and 4.) surround back.

For what you are willing to spend, check out teh H/K AVR-630. If you're willing to spend more, there's also the H/K AVR-7300 grand pappi.

There are other brands out there with these features. Check out NAD, Marantz, Rotel and certainly the higher end B&K stuff.

Please, don't just blindly go buy H/K (or the others). I suggest that you let us know what speakers you have, and perhaps we can suggest both electronics that have the better sonic match with the receivers which meet your crossover requirements.

Good Luck.

Dwight
Unregistered guest
Thanks geekboy,

You are a wealth of information! By just reading the specs, its hard to determine which receiver has that feature.

Can you recommend a good online source for H/K?

Dwight
Unregistered guest
I forgot, my fronts are Cerwin Vega E715, which may be upgraded down the road. The CVs do pretty well for low to mid audio levels that I like to listen to. The subs are 2 BagEnd 18" S18E-I with a MX2 Infra integrator, driven with a Crown K1
2-channel amp.

Bronze Member
Username: Shank

Pittsburgh, PA

Post Number: 12
Dwight,

I got my avr230 from etronics for $380 (that includes shipping) a few months ago.

I also ordered a $300 mp3 player from them w/o any problems.

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Newport, RI United States

Post Number: 294
Dwight: go to H/K's site.

http://www.harmankardon.com

They have all of the manuals for every system, including their older models. They also have some comparison charts and things. All of their documents are in PDF format.

Dwight
Unregistered guest
geekboy,
Thanks, again, for your help. The AVR 230 looks like a great deal. I thought I would have to spend a lot more for that multiple crossover feature. I plan to download the manual/specs on the H/Ks.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us