Denon 2805 monitor out/on screen display

Bronze Member
Username: Wabkab

Post Number: 11
Some help from 2805 owners, please. This probably was already discussed, but I'm trying to find out if one gets all the on screen display information from the Component video outputs or do I need to use the S-video as seems to be suggested in the manual?
Thanks
Tony B

Username: Lan

Post Number: 1
On a similar note , I am torn between a Denon 2805 and the HK AVR 330. The AVR 330 is at a killer price of $449 at buy.com. But does anyone have suggestions for either one over the other. I have already picked up the Denon for 727 +tax and am willing to return.

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Newport, RI United States

Post Number: 288
Tony: I believe that on the 2805 and many many A/V receivers/processors (including the Parasound Halo C1/C2 high-end separates), they will NOT display the OSD on the component video jacks.

The reason is simple, but not obvious. It's generally that character generators (the devices that would display the info on the screen), are not very clean when it comes to 37MHz bandwidth video (HDTV at 780p). Since the generator would cause signal degradation -- noticeable in fact -- the manufacturers have just simply taken the OSD out of line with the component video outputs.

Yes, simply, you can't display the OSD on the Component output in most receivers, even the high-end separates like Parasound Halo. You'll have to use the composite-video or S-Video jacks. I added a 13" television/monitor to my home theater recently. I got tired of switching from Component back to S-Video each time I wanted to do OSD stuff. (My video is a 92" HDTV front projection screen. I like to keep it in Component mode.)

Silver Member

Post Number: 289
Lan: please tell us what kind of speakers you have (or will get). This will be very important. The H/K is going to be warmer and more laid back. I have the H/K AVR-525 myself and a Denon in my other home. I have the Denon paired with some Polks and the H/K paired with Paradigm and Mirage.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Hopefully, I can run an S-video monitor out and the Component monitor out at the same time and just switch inputs on the Monitor. Otherwise, the video upconversion feature loses alot of its convenience merit. I haven't got the receiver yet, but am trying to decipher the downloaded manual from Denon.

Silver Member

Post Number: 291
Tony: well, weighing everything, I think I like the upconversion better than the OSD. While the OSD is a convenience feature, I seldom "need" it. As I wrote above, I just added a 13" monitor to my setup so that I can do OSD related functions and see them. :-)

I guess there are some brands (newer) models coming out with OSD support on the component video outputs. I hope that they are very clean and don't cause distortion or interference on the component signal.

I'm wondering if the newer receivers with the Faroudja DCDi components will be capable of doing the OSD on the component outs. For the ones the do upconversion, you'd think this is simple... add the characters (OSD) before you send it for upconversion. But, this would be bad. You don't want to apply the OSD until it hits the MAIN video out. This is such that if you're recording off the inputs (to DVR, DVD, etc) you won't get the OSD in the recording if you hit a function which causes the OSD to appear.

Username: Lan

Post Number: 2
GeekBoy: I am going to hook up the Polk 7200 package or the Hsu Research VT-12/STF-3.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I think, now after downloading and reading the manual, page 47 indicates that OSD will be output through the Component outs. I'll find out soon when I hook it up in a couple of weeks. It will be proccessing for a 5 channel B&K reference amp, and powering a zone 2 home audio and video setup. Can't wait for my new toy. I've got my Marantz SR- 7200 on ebay and audigon if anyone interested. Hopefully, that plug was legal?

Silver Member

Post Number: 295
Tony: yeah, I should have looked. I kinda eluded that some newer models have the OSD capability on the Component Video outputs. I just looked at the quick specs for the AVR-2805, and it clearly reads...

3 Assignable Component Video inputs (100MHz Bandwidth), with On-Screen Display

Best of luck with your system. The plug for your system was subtle and i don't think folks will mind. It's not like you left a link to it. :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 296
Lan: I have some small Polk RTi4s hooked up to my Denon in my apartment. I use it probably 60/40 video/music. I hadn't done any real auditioning with other spekears and the Denon.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us