I could use advice on a receiver

Unregistered guest
i'm in the market for a home audio receiver. i am having a home built and the house is coming w/ in-ceiling speakers throughout the house. i'd like to have the amp to power those speakers as well as the home theater i'm putting in. i think i'm going with speakercraft aim3's for the rear in-ceiling and some floor speakers for the front and center. my budget on my amp is approximately $1000.00 although if i can keep it below that, i'd love to. the receiver that i've been looking at is the yamaha rx-v1400 and 2400. spread the light if i'm looking in the wrong direction. i'm no hi-fi god, infact my hearing is pretty horrible so i'd probably be unable to tell some of the differences. i've been a sony guy my whole life and i'm just now learning about these other companies - marantz, NAD, etc. i just want something that will impress me. if any other information is required, please let me know what you think. thank you VERY much.

ryan

(I posted this question earlier but it was in the wrong forum..under 'amps')

Bronze Member
Username: Omegagen

Post Number: 15
I purchased my HK 7200 from onecall.com for a total of $847. Man this thing has power to burn and sounds great with my NHT 7.1 setup! Ask around like I did and you'll find that even though the 7200 is HK's last year version it has everything you'll use and alot you won't. Besides you can't beat the price. It sold for almost $2000 at one time.

I too was looking at the Yammy's like you, especially since I had an RX-V1070 Pro-logic for about 10 years and it never let me down. But, I heard so many good things about the 7200's power and sound I couldn't pass it up at onecall's "bargain" price.

I'd put the AVR-7200 on my short list if I were you!

Joe

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 540
Ryan,
I hate to complicate matters but your choice of receiver needs to be made on the basis of how well it matches the front speakers you will be buying. For the Yamaha's I would recommend the Paradigm Monitor 7 for mains and the cc-370 center. This makes a very nice combination as the 1400 and 2400 are much improved over previous Yamaha's. The only drawback is their lackof a direct mode that keeps the sub active and they are still thin sounding thus a good match with Paradigm and PSB. As to the H/K 7200, it's a very good receiver and a step up from the Yamaha's in power and sonic ability. Since it is a last years model you can find as mentioned above at bargain prices. I think a great buy is the Pioneer Elite vsx-55txi from dynaco.com for $899. Great reciever at a bargain price. The Marantz 7400 is also an excellent unit and is in the same price range. The NAD 753 and 763 are as good as it gets sonically but have limited inputs as does the H/K. For all the brands I mentioned except Yamaha the best speakers in my area that match with any of those is Monitor Audio. The Silver 6 is a great floorstander[list$999pr} and can be had for much less at a few mail order sites. As you can see there are lots of good choices and these are just the ones in my area I like best. The most important thing is to correctly match the reciever and speakers sonically and to buy what sounds best to you. All of the brands I mentioned IMO will greatly outperform Sony so you should be happy with any.Personally I like the combination of Elite and Monitor Audio best but for the money the new Yamaha's with the Paradigm's is hard to beat.

Unregistered guest
hey guys,

thanks for replying. after reading the posts and recommendations, i did some looking up of the h/k avr7200. after hearing that was last years model i wanted to see what this years model looked like so i checked out the 7300. i like the looks a lot better (i know, i'm stupid like that.) now, obviously the cost of the 7300 is going to be a bit out of my bubble (found one for 1549.00) how does that amp work? i'm not running a tremendous amount of equipment. dtv, dvd, vcr, possible tivo, but i'm not even sure if that plugs into it. and what speakers would be good with this receiver? same monitor audio? again, thanks for the get-back.

ryan

r.i.p. rick james.

*i'm rick james, b!@#$*

Unregistered guest
also, i'm looking at the paradigm monitor 9 v3 series. would any of those amps work well with that speaker? or is that too much speaker?

thanks again

Scott C
Unregistered guest
You may have already seen this, but HK's website has all kinds of info available for the 7300, including a downloadable owner's maunal, quick start guide, FAQ's and some really large pix of the front and rear of the receiver. Should tell you all you want to know about connections. Check it here:

http://www.harmankardon.com/product_detail.aspx?cat=REC&prod=AVR%207300&sType=S

I can't help you on speakers. I am running 20 year old Infinity RS5b's with my 7200.

Username: Triedit

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 4
Monitor 9's should work well with the amps mentioned. They have excellent bass for those times when you want to use direct mode & no sub.

Silver Member

Post Number: 541
Ryan,
I actually like the Monitor 7 better than the 9. Tighter, more defined bass and better interaction between the drivers. I have compared the 7 and 9 in all 3 versions and have always felt the same. Take a listen for yourself. If you settle on Paradigm's I think the Yamaha would be a better match than the H/K. The H/K is a bit laid back and a better match with a more lively speaker. Good luck.

Silver Member

Post Number: 542
Ryan,
I actually like the Monitor 7 better than the 9. Tighter, more defined bass and better interaction between the drivers. I have compared the 7 and 9 in all 3 versions and have always felt the same. Take a listen for yourself. If you settle on Paradigm's I think the Yamaha would be a better match than the H/K. The H/K is a bit laid back and a better match with a more lively speaker. Good luck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us