Should I turn my AVR-7200 "OFF" when done?

Bronze Member
Username: Omegagen

Post Number: 14
My HK 7200 has been installed and continously running for about 3 weeks. I was told by the installer that I should leave it "ON", but man does it get hot in the closet where all the equipment is located! There's a return vent in the closet, but according to the thermometer in the closet it stays around 80F.

Should I turn it "OFF" when I'm done or is it OK as long as it doesn't overheat, which it never has even when I was playing the opening battle scene in Master & Commander at 16dbs.

Joe

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 537
I would turn it off every night when you are done. There is no reason at all to leave any component on overnight. From your comments I take it that you have been leaving the receiver on even when not at home. This is not good at all. I would never leave anything on if not at home. If you turn it on in the morning and leave it on all day that's fine as long as you are there.

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1079
joe i have the hk525 and mine runs pretty warm to
and no i don't leave my equipment on when i'm not
home. "tempted to even unplug it"

some wil say leave it on others will say turn it
off. because turning the system on can cause the
most damage.

i say leave it off, less heat, less use , and less
risk of being yanked off from a power failure.
not to mention most new equipment have power switches
that work as soft power on.

also i would say get that sytem out of the closet
or ventalate it better with some fans!

happY jammin sir!

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Newport, RI United States

Post Number: 278
Joe: I have the H/K 525 as well. Mine runs warm but not very warm (not hot). I turn it off when I think I'm done listening for the day. It's just a habit because I definately turn off my projector each time! One day, I left it running for 12 hours... man... 12 hours of bulb life! That's like 6 movies!

In any event, make sure your receiver has plenty of air moving over, by, through it. If you open the closet door and it feels like you opened the oven door... then you can have issues down the road. Heat kills. But having said that, these devices -- especially H/K's high current amplifier design -- are designed to operate at and tolerate high temperatures.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us