J. Vigne, Hawk, mauimusicman: pls help me decide...

Username: Jonas

Post Number: 3
My existing set-up consists of a Marantz SR5300, Definitive Technology's Prosub 100TL, Wharfedale Diamond 8.3. I'm about to buy a Wharfedale Diamond Center speaker but came across Deftech's Procenter C2 that claims to blend well even with speakers from other manufacturers. Which center speaker do you think would give me a better set-up? Thanks in advance.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
I don't normally do recommendations since there are so many variables involved. Mostly it is your taste which should determine what you purchase.
Let me ask you this; who told you it blends well with other manufacturers speakers? A salesperson? Definitive Technology's literature? If you had to guess, why do you think either would say you should buy it?
The current thinking on the front speaker array is to "timber match" the three front speakers. If you don't really know what "timber" means you can check "definitions and descriptions" under the "Speakers" portion of this format. It's in there, just look through a few items to get the info you need.
Basically timber matched means the three speakers sound similar to one another. There are technical reasons why this isn't exactly true even if you use identical speakers across all three positions but your attempt should be to come as close as possible. If you feel your Wharfedales sound similar to the D.T.'s then you might want to consider the D.T. center as an option. If, on the other hand, you think the Wharfedales and the Definitive's are too different in their overall sound then they will not blend well no matter what the sales literature suggests. Since I have not heard the latest Wharfedales I really can't give you more information than that.

Unregistered guest
Andre, biggest pain in the akole(butt) in audio period: The dreaded center channel. Grrrrr. I'd lose it, personally. But, if you have to have one, take em both home and trust your ears. God gave you a perfectly functioning pair of ears. They are better and more sensitive than ANY electronic device. And........it's YOUR ears that are going to be listening long term, yeah? Besides, no matter if they "blend well" with other speakers, your concern is do they blend well with your electronics? Or your room? Good luck.

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1026
andre jonas arellano to say i agree with jan and maui
is an understatement.

but if you have to buy without auditioning i would
get the Wharfedale Diamond Center speaker that way
you know they should match.

my personal oppinion is stick with the same brand
and model accross the front 3 speakers.

Username: Jonas

Post Number: 4
thank you very much for the inputs j. vigne, mauimusicman, and kegger. you guys are very helpful to us newcomers in the hi-fi world! good day!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us