Onkyo 601 vs. hk230

wescoe
Unregistered guest
I saw this question posted earlier, and no one answered it. Anyone have an opinion?

shank
Unregistered guest
I have the avr230 and I love it, sounds great with my new klipsch rf-25's.

I was in CC over the weekend listening to the polk monitor 70's. And initially they were playing (just 2-channel stereo) through the onkyo 601. Then the rep switched it to the avr230 upon my request (since i already owned it) and the polk monitor 70's seemed to play much clearer. I think the onkyo prolly has more power and i think is generally thought to be better for HT, but the H/K may play cleaner for 2-channel stereo stuff.

Just based on limited experience (i was looking at these two receivers several months back and got the H/K), I'd say this:

1) if you mainly listen to music and 65 W/channel is enough for you, go for the H/K

2) If you mainly do movies and home theater stuff or want more juice (85 W/ch) then go with the Onkyo.

Both seemed to be good receivers for the money.

Bronze Member
Username: Nealm

Post Number: 45
also remember that h/k wattages are more conservative than most other brands. see if you can find a refurb 230 for 300. i got mine that way and it looks and acts brand new. i really wouldnt make the generalizations that shank made regarding onkyo being better for ht and h/k being better for music. i think your decision is more a matter of the speakers that are being paired with it. h/k is known for their warm sound which would be exactly what you need if your speakers are too bright, etc.

shank
Unregistered guest
Just to clear things up, i wasn't making a generalization about all HK recievers or all Onkyo receivers. Just some thoughts specifically about these two models.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us