Expensive cables, are they worth it?

Bronze Member
Username: Diplotocus

Post Number: 15
First off, I'm a new user so I apologize to all you old-timers who have had to read this exact same question 4000 times already but:

Is it worth it to pay a lot for cables? I am going to be setting up a set of Polk LS19's and a Polk PSW505 sub run by a NAD T773 receiver. Dayton Audio (partsexpress) has a sub RCA cable for about $11.50. Will I *really* hear a difference if I pay $45 for a Monster cable? Please advise! Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Stone

West CoastUSA

Post Number: 59
I think there is a bigger difference between cheap and expensive component interconnects than there is between average and more expensive speaker cables.

Bronze Member
Username: Knightshade

Taunton, Somerset England

Post Number: 27
Mike,
Interconnects will make a bigger difference.
Listen to as many as you can and get what sounds best. I personally would steer away from monster cable (Bass tends to sound bloated and boomy)

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/46852.html
Here's an ongoing argument to help/confuse a little more.
Happy reading!

Silver Member
Username: Robertinchico

Post Number: 168
Yes avoid Monster Cable at all costs. My two favorite cable brands are Straight Wire and WireWorld. Used cables make great buys. Independent of what others remark, find some cable that you FEEL is in your price range and suitable for your system and feel free to ask your dealer. Try the cables, if YOU don't detect any improvements and don't feel like spending time or money on more cable work, then use your patch cords.

Dreadnaught
Unregistered guest
Good suggestions Chico.
Mike, another popular budget interconnect is the hand made signal cable. I bought some audioquest interconnects from Usedcable.com. You can call them and they will work with you no matter your price range.

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1128
try this link.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/46852.html

Bronze Member

West CoastUSA

Post Number: 66
That link just leads to one big cable argument. I second Signal cable with a 30 day in-home trial. No difference than what you got now? Send them back.

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1132
stone i was just pointing out that there are many
different oppinons on cables.

and if one was to read that thread should be able
to form an oppinion from there.

thats all good luck.

Bronze Member

West CoastUSA