Yamaha RX-V 2400 and Dyanudio 52 or 42

Unregistered guest
I am thinking to buy new A/V receiver with speakers
I have decided to go with Yamaha RX-V 2400 with par of Dyanudio monitors Audiance 52, 52 SE or audience 42,subwoofer and dyanudio 42 center
If somebody has tried this receiver with par of Dynaudio's please let me hear your opinion befor I buy anything

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 435
I dont know if the Yam is the best match with Dynaudio. They need a lot of current to sound good, and although they sound smooth they're slightly balanced to the cold. The new Yams are still a little cold and they dont have a very high current output.

NAD, Harman/Kardon and Pioneer Elite would be better choices. Marantz also.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 529
I agree with landroval. Although the 2400 is a very good receiver when matched with certain speakers like Paradigm it is too thin sounding for Dyanudio. The above choices are better matches and since you are in the $750-$1000 price range check out the Marantz 7400, H/K 630, Elite 53 and 55[$899 at dynaco.com: a real steal] and the NAD 753.

Unregistered guest
Yamaha 2400 is RMS 7x120W at 8ohm, 7x180W at 4 ohm by DIN standard and 7X230W dynamic power Dynaudio speakers' audience 52 and 42 need 150W at 4 ohm
Yamaha damping factor is over <140 that means amplifier has lot of current to run 4 ohm speakers according specifications. I look details and description for Yamaha 2400 and amplifier section is design to run 4-Ohm speakers. Under specifications, there have 2-ohm watt's output and that part tells me a lot about amplifier power and capabilities
When I look other receiver like Denon 3803, Marantz 7400 and H/K 630 there do not have any specifications for 4-ohm speakers just for 8 and 6 ohm, (just NAD has 4-ohm spec.) but how much receiver can deliver for 4-ohm speakers without shutting down or clipping is a question.
I would like to find out what is the best receiver to drive 100% Dynaudio audience 52, 52 SE or 42 with out spending a fortune
Landrover please if you can explain you description
"The new Yams are still a little cold and they don't have a very high current output" and what that exactly mean's
Did you every listened or tested Dynaudio 52, 52SE or 42 and if so what was the amplifier or receiver, because I don't have that luxuries in my town

Silver Member

Post Number: 437
Yes, the Yamaha 1400/2400 are good amps, but the specs dont tell you much. Their real performance is sligthly different. The power cubes drop clearly towards lower impedances and the current output is around ~35-40A. They work well with 8ohm load, but 4ohm is harder, at least in theory. Of course they will be able to play the Dyns, but they're not the best match. For ex the H/K 630 manages a lot better with 4 and 2 ohm loads with it's ~55-60A current output (measured numbers from Swedish mag Heimkino).

And then about sound charasteristics. The Yamaha 1400/2400 sound still a little cold (emphasis of upper mids and highs) and thin (weak lowest octave). The Dynaudios are not especially thin, but they're a little cold at the mid section. The highs are clear and the bass in sufficent. When you add cold sounding speakers with cold sounding amp you get a system wich sounds even more cold. Not what you want.

Also when setting up a multi-ch system with the Audiences it's important to know the differences between the SE and non-SE. I posted this to an other thread a while ago: "The Audiences are very good speakers, but the SE model has a little different tone than the normal models. It has the treble driver from the new Contour series and better cross-over so it sounds more sophisticated than the non-SEs. They probably are a bit softer sounding than the Amphions, but also not as clear and 'high endish'. The 52SE is a great option for music and works very well with NAD, but the 42C is really not capable of keeping up with, it sounds smaller and different."

So mixing between 52SE and the non-SE is not advisable. Three 52SE at the front and 42's for surrounds could work, but I really dont suggest you put a 42C between two 52SEs.

On the whole I think the Elite 55TXi is the best match with Dyns. NAD and Rotel will also work.

Zorro
Unregistered guest
Landroval I respect your opinion very much but Pioneer Elite is just 7 X 100 at 8 ohm
in addition, no specification for 4 ohm, if you have any test results please post the link.

H/K 630 is 75w per channel at 8 ohm, no spec for 4 ohm and how that receiver going to run Dynaudio is a question
I was looking new Denon 3805 and some article talk about improvement in driving 4-ohm speakers I would like to hear your opinion about Denon 3805 vs. anything

I really like Dynaudio sound, in my opinion Dynaudio sound so natural and I was delighted when I heard audience 42. Such a small speakers and sound so good, neutral and natural I count believe it. I listened for couple of hours and desiaded to buy surround sound system with small Dynaudio speakers but I don't has luxury to test all this equipment and find good mach for Dynaudio's
My choice was Dynaudio:

Main 52 SE
Surround 42
Center 42 C because is good mach 150 W 4 ohm as 52, 52 SE, 42 but maybe 122 C 200 w 4 ohm will be better choice
B& W subwoofer model 675
Receiver Yamaha 2400 or Denon 3805
I would like to see your choice for small Dynaudio speaker + sub +receiver

Thanks
Zorro

Silver Member
Username: Martini

Post Number: 132
I got the 2400 and I don't think most listeners could tell the difference with speakers connected to it. Zorro, I say buy what makes you happy and what you can afford

Silver Member

Post Number: 440
Power is starting to be a very boring subject to talk about. You'll need at least double power to make a noticeable difference. When playing at normal volumes to power usage is around 1-10W/channel. But ok, here's some real life measurements on those receivers:

"These are from a finnish mag HIFI, and a review of 1000 euro receivers at 1/2004.

Denon 2803:
-continuous power 5ch to 8/4ohm: 30W/15W
-20ms power 5ch to 8/4/2ohm: 87W/110W/130W
-continuous power 2ch to 8/4ohm: 115W/89W
-output impedance: 0,09ohm

H/K AVR4550 (probably equal to AVR325):
-continuous power 5ch to 8/4ohm: 76W/99W
-20ms power 5ch to 8/4/2ohm: 87W/110W/120W
-continuous power 2ch to 8/4ohm: 94W/145W
-output impedance: 0,09ohm

Marantz SR6300:
-continuous power 5ch to 8/4ohm: 73W/115W
-20ms power 5ch to 8/4/2ohm: 98W/120W/35W
-continuous power 2ch to 8/4ohm: 110W/165W
-output impedance: 0,17ohm

Pioneer VSX-AX3 (Elite 53TX):
-continuous power 5ch to 8/4ohm: 105W/145W
-20ms power 5ch to 8/4/2ohm: 115W/175W/72W
-continuous power 2ch to 8/4ohm: 125W/200W
-output impedance: 0,06ohm

Sony STR-DB2000 (DA2000ES):
-continuous power 5ch to 8/4ohm: 90W/84W
-20ms power 5ch to 8/4/2ohm: 115W/125W/98W
-continuous power 2ch to 8/4ohm: 160W/210W
-output impedance: 0,67ohm

Yamaha RX-V1400RDS:
-continuous power 5ch to 8/4ohm: 100W/110W
-20ms power 5ch to 8/4/2ohm: 130W/125W/54W
-continuous power 2ch to 8/4ohm: 145W/200W
-output impedance: 0,07ohm

Again Denon showing weak continuous power."

So the Yamaha is not better than the Pio for ex.

The Denon 3805 is a good receiver, but I think it's still a wrong choice with Dyns. Too low power with 4 ohm and maybe a little brigth.

Silver Member

Post Number: 441
A few words on speakers. Max power handling has nothing to do with anything, _at_all_. 150W or 2000W or 10W, doesn't matter. Thinking that 42C will match 52SE because they both can do "150W" is so very far from the truth. The only center to work well with 52SE is another 52SE. If you're using a CRT-TV you could shield the speaker with a couple "anti"-magnets.

Silver Member

Post Number: 530
The problem with the 2400 is not that it lacks power, although it's true measured 5 channel power is not nearly as good as the Elite or Marantz units it is that it's sonic characteristics are not as good a match with the Dynaudio's as others. That's what really matters and I am not trying to run down the 2400 at all. I actually like it and it's the first time I can say that about a Yamaha in many years. If you had said you were looking for a receiver for your new Paradigm Monitor 7's say. I would have heartily recommended the 2400 as I have in the past. Let's all get beyond the power isssue and concentrate on matching receivers and speakers sonically.

zorro
Unregistered guest
OK all this options are good but still I need good receiver to run Dyanudio 52 SE, landroval please let hear you choice for Dynaudio 52 SE, surround 42 and your choice of center speaker with subwoofer
or therealelitefan you can make your choice to
Obviously, you have more experience and expertise to set good system and make good choice. I am relaying just on audio reviews and other test that I can find on internet
Thanks
Zorro

Silver Member

Post Number: 442
I would get 3x52SE for the fronts and 2-4x42 for the rears. I still stand behind the 55TXi (or new 56TXi) to be the best match with Dyns. They're also very feature rich (ilink) and good quality. If you can live with less features, but want the best soundquality I recommend the NAD T763 or T753. If you want something cheaper then get a Pio 2012k or H/K AVR430. As for sub there are many good options, Velodyne SPL2-series, SVS, REL (for music), MJ Acoustics, HSU etc...

Silver Member

Post Number: 531
I would look at 3. The NAD 763 [0r753], the Marantz 7400 and the Elite 55. All great matches with Dynaudio.

Silver Member
Username: Martini

Post Number: 137
These guys may know alot, but why would you want to buy no name speakers/receiver

Silver Member

Post Number: 445
What do you mean by no name?

Silver Member

Post Number: 532
landroval,
That's a good question. If the above poster has not heard of the brands we mentioned maybe he needs to find another board. What is a more well known name in American audio in the last 50 years than Marantz?

Silver Member
Username: Valeem

Post Number: 128
Martini,

NAD, Marantz and Dynaudio are no name brands? Am I missing out on the good stuff then?

zorro and others,

Just out of curiosity how much are the Dynaudio 42, 52 and 52SE in the states? List and actual price if you can please.

Zorro
Unregistered guest
Valeem and Martini,
what is your suggestion to setup good system with Dynaudio audience speakers, my opinion is that small Dynaudio speakers are perfect for small - medium room size
Check this website for the price
http://www.listenup.com

Silver Member

Post Number: 131
Zorro,

By my reckoning the Dynaudios are 4ohm speakers and the only receiver for reasonable money that will happily drive them would be something from the NAD lineup. If you go for the 52's then I would look at the T753 upwards as they seem to have plenty of power for the job in hand. Hawk put together a similar setup (T753 with 42's) and he seems very happy indeed with it and he knows his stuff better than most as he went through alot of listening/testing. I suggest you do the same. NAD and Dynaudio that is!

Best of luck and hope you find audio nirvana!

Zorro
Unregistered guest
But Yamaha has all this nice features such auto setup / room correction witch I need really badly, because I am not capable to than by my self, plus DSP surround witch I like it so much.
If you think than I need more power to drive power hunger Dynaudio than I can go with Yamaha RX-Z9 or some other flagship with auto setup feature.

Silver Member

Post Number: 446
I dont know if the room correction is that important. If you have very bad acoustics or must place speakers close to corners it migth be handy, but otherwise I dont think it's really necessary.

All receivers have some kind of DSP surround modes, like PLII. Yamaha of course has all these weird ambience modes, but I really dont know what people are doing with them. Once you have tried all of them you never will use them again.

One very good option for a receiver would be the H/K AVR7300, it has plenty of power and many cool features like DCDi video chip and surround mode Logic7. NAD has it's own surround mode EARS wich is similar to PLII Music, but it's a little warmer and fuller sounding.

Username: Kaisuliina

Post Number: 4
Landroval and valeem, I'm interested in Dynaudio Audience speakers 2x52SE, 2x42 (and some subwoofer later on) with NAD receiver. I'll have a chance to listen to 52SE soon but I think I can listen to them only with NAD T743. You are both recommending T753 with Dynaudio but I would like to hear your opinion about going with T743. Totally bad decision? Is the difference in power essential and worth the money in this case? Thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 449
Hard to say. I haven't made an a/b comparison between 743 and 753, but some people say the 753 sounds a little fuller on the basses. I have a T743 myself and I think the sound quality is excellent. I redirect everything under 80Hz to sub so probably the maybe weaker bass doesn't matter. On german Audio mag the 743 got better points for stereo sound than the 753. Dunno. Both good. :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 135
Zorro,

Well if you can afford a Z9 why bother with the other receivers and at that pricepoint you have opened up the whole new world of seperates.

Don't get too hung up on DSP's. I'm confidant once you have used your setup for a month or two their novelty value will wear off so try to concentrate on the basic sound. As far as auto room calibration goes this feature is useful to some and not necessary if you are capable of using an spl meter to set your speaker levels (it's not difficult - honestly!). However some systems include some form of room equalisation which I feel is more useful as it can help limit the peaks and trough's in the entire audible frequency range and is useful in rooms that aren't perfect acoustically (most aren't, mine sure isn't). In the end though it's the basic sound that matter's the most, to most of us anyway.

Kaisuliina,

I would suggest you buy the most powerful NAD you can afford. I remember reading on another thread concerning hi-fi that the 52's work better with lots of power (comments from people who have used them). Also the general rule of thumb is that you should spend 50% more on your speakers (including sub) than on a receiver to attain a well balanced setup. It's a general rule but one I wouldn't stray too far from.

Enjoy!

Zorro
Unregistered guest
I saw test and measurements with and without auto setup room /correction
by Yamaha and noticed that other manufacture like Denon starting to implement same feature .I think the first was pioneer in 49txi receiver with auto setup.

Opinion are divided, some people like some don't, I think why not have receiver with it, if I don't like I will not use it, but in general I think can improve acoustic in my room
I am listening DSP modes from time to time depend on marital and music. My current Denon has just couple of DSP simulation but next receiver will have more, especially is usefully if you have some old staff or old stereo movies

Post Number: 5
Thanks for the advice. Maybe it helped a little :-). Landroval's comment made me stay with 743 and valeem made me think about 753 again... But I understand I can't get straight answers as this is not straightforward like buying computer memory, hearing your opinion is good anyway. I have to think about it still then.

Silver Member

Post Number: 452
Well the T753 has so much more features that I would not hesitate to get it especially if you're going to get Dyns for speakers. 6th power amp, 7.1-in/out (vs 5.1 in T743), EX/ES decoders, digital out, detachable power cord, 5 main-amp ins (vs 3), more power /channel, ~7kg more weight, etc. It's also quite big when compared to the small T743, but if that's not a problem then get the T753.

Zorro
Unregistered guest
landroval, valeem, Kaisuliina, therealelitefan

I agree that Yamaha does not have enough power to run five Dyanudio speakers but other features are very nice on Yamaha 2400; DSP sounds, auto setup equalizer room correction THX etc.
I when again to research about perfect power full receiver and price went to high with flagship's (Pioneer, Denon , Yamaha, NAD etc.)
but I may have solution, I was thinking to use Yamaha 2400 (700$) as preamplifier and use outlaw 7100 (899$) as amplifier, this combination is cheaper than any flagship and can deliver power to run Dyanudio 100% plus to have nice feature
I would like to hear any opinion about this combination

Zorro

Zorro
Unregistered guest
landroval, valeem, Kaisuliina, therealelitefan

I agree Yamaha 2400 does not have enough power to run five channel 4 ohm Dynaudio speakers but other features are very nice on Yamaha 2400; DSP sounds, auto setup, equalizer room correction, THX for price of 700$ incredable
I when again to research about perfect powerfull receiver and price went to high with flagship's (Pioneer, Denon , Yamaha, NAD etc.). Than I start to look on pre/amp combination and none of them has a feature of Yamaha, Pioneer, or Denon at price range of 2000$
After wile I looked on solution to use Yamaha 2400 (700$) as preamp. and use outlaw 7100 (899$) as amplifier, this combination is cheaper than any flagship and can deliver power to run Dyanudio 100% plus all nice feature
I would like to hear any opinion about this combination

Post Number: 6
Therealelitefan, your opinion is also welcome about T743/T753 combination with Dynas, I didn't realise there was one more expert in the thread. And good luck for Zorro, I see your situation with choosing the right thing is not simple either :-).

Silver Member

Post Number: 141
Zorro,

I don't recommend you go that route as you will be paying for the amplification on the Yamaha that you will never use. Looks like you badly want the Yamaha and Dynaudio's but you know something will have to give. What to do?

Silver Member

Post Number: 456
Yes, and if you get a power amp there is no need to get a V2400, the V1400 or even better the Denon AVR2805 will be fine.

How much does a Rotel RMB1075 cost to you?

Silver Member

Post Number: 536
NAD and Dynaudio make a fine combination. Our friend Hawk has this system and I know he loves it. NAD receivers are limited in inputs and that's the only negative for me.

Zorro
Unregistered guest
Rotel RMB1075 is around 1500$ twice as much than outlaw, thank you for opinions, I see that I was on the wrong way with my choice
Now the only way to go is with the flagship receivers. Jugging by the prices Pioneer is the cheapest one (2500$) then Denon (3000$) and Yamaha (3500$) other flagships missing nice features like NAD, I now NAD is grate receiver but I like features
I thing I will go with Pioneer 59 TXi or if some one has better solution, I mean cheaper.
therealelitefan will be happy to see my choice it is really the best solution for the money

Thanks
Zorro

Silver Member

Post Number: 459
I would get the new 56TXi instead. It has almost all the features of the 59TXi and it definitely will have enough power to drive the Audiences. It costs something like ~$1100 so you'll save a lot of money compared to the 59TXi.
http://www.soundpros.com/receivers.cfm

One editor/reviewer at a Finnish audio magazine does have a setup with 55TXi, three Dynaudio Countour 1.1 at the front and four Audience 42 at the rear and he says there is no problems with the system.

Zorro
Unregistered guest
Look what I found about Yamaha 2400 in Home theater mag. Now I am confused what to buy but now I am convinced that I can run 4-ohm Dynaudio
I did now that THX select certificate has meaning that receiver is capable to run low ohm speakers at 105 DB for long time, I giving up on Pioneer for now

Thanks
Zorro

http://www.hometheatermag.com/receivers/104yam/

Let's do the numbers and cherry-pick the features list. This receiver's three-digit price tag buys seven channels of amplification times a rated 120 watts with all seven channels driven simultaneously. THX Select certification ensures that it can hit a 105-decibel sound level in a room of up to 2,000 cubic feet when used with THX Select--certified speakers and remain stable when driving loads with impedances down to 3.2 ohms. With nine different crossover settings at your disposal, from 40 to 200 hertz, this receiver should mate with any sub. At 34.2 pounds, the receiver's weight is about average for this price category. The power transformer accounts for 11.9 pounds by itself. Yamaha says that the electrolytic capacitors were custom-made for this product.

http://www.hometheatermag.com/receivers/104yam/

Silver Member

Post Number: 467
What are you really looking for? max volume or sound quality? My 5x50W NAD has enough power for everything.

If you want the Yam then get it. Just understand that pairing a thin and cold sounding amp with a little cold sounding speakers is not the best way to go. Also THX-speakers are usually very efficient so high volumes can easily be achieved with moderately low power. Dynaudios are quite unefficient so they need a lot more power to get even close to the volumes of THX-certified stuff.

St. Louis Blues
Unregistered guest
I am running a Nad/Dynaudio setup-- 122's front, 122C center and 52's for my rears- with a Polk sub I hope to replace. Driven with a Nad T763 receiver. Currently have them set up in a medium sized room (w/ 9' ceilings)- and they can can definitely get loud- though they won't blow you away (like more efficient Klipsch, etc. might). Still- a good setup- and the newer 52's have a very nice wood finish.

Silver Member

Post Number: 543
Zorro,
FYI, the review in HT also says in the test report that the 2400's 5 channel output into 8 ohms@.1% distortion is only 43.5 watts. It ois NOT 120 x 7. As I think I said this is the best sounding Yamaha in years but it is a very poor match sonically with Dynaudio. If you want the 2400 then look elsewhere for speakers, like to Paradigm or PSB. Both match very well with Yamaha. Although the 2400 is a nice unit it cannot come close to the multichannel power of NAD, Rotel, Elite, H/K or Marantz. This doesn't make it a bad receiver. it's just the facts. Personally I think it has enough power for most any situation and I am like landroval in the concern about sound quality and proper matching. Only your ears can tell you what to do, but landroval is right in his comments above.

Silver Member

Post Number: 544
St. Louis Blues,
Very nice system you have there. MUCH nicer than a NAD/Klipsch combo, since you mentioned them. What Polk sub do you have and why the desire to replace it?

Zorro
Unregistered guest
Last weekend I compared Yamaha 2400 and Denon 3805 on Totem speaker and Denon was better, more power full and better sounding receiver plus has all this nice features as Yamaha. Any opinion about Denon 3805 and Dynaudio 52 SE

Silver Member

Post Number: 472
I think the 3805 will be a better match with Dyns. Denons do have low continuous power (see the measurements I posted up there), but the 3805 should have enough power for most situations. The lack of THX-cert could be because of low power, but also it could for many other reasons. I would still listen the 56TXi against the 3805 and see which is better. The lack of i-link in the 3805 is annoying, but probably you can live with that.

Zorro
Unregistered guest
I will try find dealer with Denon and Pioneer elite to do compare but maybe mission impossible, You posted this measurement from Finnish magazim but i looked the measurement in Home Theater magazine for Denon 2803 and power rating was good, more power and les distortion that Yamaha 2400 and Denon 3805 should be 30W more power per channel.
Is that Finnish magazine available on Internet to read review and see other details?
Or if some other magazine has measurement for Denon 3805.

Thansks
Zorro

Silver Member
Username: Goldenarrow

Post Number: 116
landroval,

Just curious about the mags you read. Some are Finnish, Swedish, German. How many languages do you know??? If you have time, could you post the web links to these mags. I wouldn't mind trying to do a translation on them to see if I can add to my understanding. My perception so far of audio/video equipment reviews is that some of the European mags are more critical and picky and since they are in something other than English, we all miss out on accurate and useful critiques.

Zorro,

By the way, I agree with landroval and therealelitefan in their general advice. I own a NAD T752 with older NHT speakers (inefficient) and I am very glad for the extra, clean power. I don't have any experience with the other receivers, but generally, great sounding speakers should last 20 years, electronics won't (unless its just a power amp) - go with the speakers you like and then match them to an appropriate receiver. In 5 years, electronics and chips and fickle VHS/Betamax/CD/LP/SACD/DVD-A/DVD/HD-DVD/etc./ format wars will change but those speakers will be sitting there staring you in the face waiting the be used (unless, of course, you have unlimited money!).

goldenarrow

Silver Member

Post Number: 473
Well I speak fluently Finnish, English and French and a little Swedish, German and Spanish. Maybe I'll try next some Japanese :-) I have a good friend who speaks now like 8 or 9 different languages, I think it's cool and of course very useful.

Most of the mags dont put the reviews online. There's only the 'coalition' of UK mags with Home Cinema Choice and co.
http://www.homecinemachoice.com/

Here's something:
http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/
http://www.whathifi.com/
http://www.areadvd.de/
http://www.audio.de/
http://www.cinenow.com/fr/
http://www.hifilehti.fi/

The swedish mags Hifi&Music and Hemmabio dont seem to have homepages on the web.

Zorro, As you can see the Denon does well when the output is short (20ms), but when trying to get a long term continuous power it's very weak. This is probably because of a weak power supply. There will be few situations where you need high power for a longer time, but at least some multi-ch music and PL2/PL2x usage could result in draining of the power reserves. An active sub will also help, but I'd still play it safe and get a more stable receiver. Or a power amp to go with it. Maybe a 2805 and a Rotel RMB1066 bridged to 3x150W?

Zorro
Unregistered guest
Landroval,

You are right I found one test where Denon 3803 has just 50W on 5 channels driven, Even Yamaha 2400 has more power than Denon.
I am confused now, when you reading reviews everybody talking about Denon receivers and powerful amp sections, but in real world is not, as you saying Pioneer elite has the most powerful amp section in this receiver class, maybe even more powerful than Rotel or NAD

Silver Member

Post Number: 474
Please dont concentrate too much on power. It really does not matter that much. But yes, the Elites give out very good power let alone 2ohm and under loads. Also the 56TXi has the best set of features in the ~$1000 class and a nice warm and detailed sound so to me it looks like a better choice over the 3805 and V2400.

Username: Rebijl

Post Number: 1
Hi there,

I'm from Holland and like to join the discussion. At the moment I'm looking for new speakers and the Dyn's 42 crossed my path. I'm using a Yamaha reciever ( RX-V620 ) at the moment. I Understand the lack off real power to drive These speakers and all the things about cold sound.

I realy like these speakers so will buy them and upgrade my reciever in about 2 years to a NAD. Will playing with the Dyn's give me any problem on the Yamaha reciever ?

I'm primairly using these speakers for Music ( 2.1 ) in combination with a Rel Quake II at reasonable sounds ( not pounding because of my neighbours and kids ).

Silver Member

Post Number: 515
The older Yamahas are quite weak at driving 4ohm, and might easily go to protect mode, but with reasonable volumes and a sub helping out I think you wont have any problems.

Username: Rebijl

Post Number: 2
Because I'm changing my system on the long term ( my audio system will change complete within the next 3 years ) I will start with the speakers because at the moment I'm using small Jamo satelite speakers combined with the Rel Quake II. This combination sounds terrible accept for the bass ), but was neccesary because I sold my Accoustimass 6 a few months ago and had the jamo's still in the garage.

As I mentioned in my first post I'm not playing very loud so it will not be a great problem I think for the yamaha's protection mode.

Anonymous

From Audioholics review of the Yamaha 2400 Seems just fine with the dynaudio among other speakers.

With all DSP processing and room correction features turned off ( "Pure Direct" Mode), I began my two channel critical listening tests on my reference mini monitor Status Acoustics Decimo's in my bedroom system. The Decimo's are an 8 ohm, moderately efficient load and don't require gobs of power to shine, just quality clean power. Here is where the RX-V2400 really delivered quite admirably. The noise floor (especially in "Pure Direct" mode) was commendably low (published spec of 100dBA, 250mV reference translates to over 112dB @ 1V), comparable to what I recalled from the venerable RX-V1 and RX-Z1 flagship Yamaha receivers. The DAC section in the RX-V2400 was top notch. In fact, switching back and forth between using my bedroom SACD changer DAC's for CD playback vs the internal DAC's in the RX-V2400, I preferred the latter. When the RX-V2400 served as the DAC, it sounded more open, and detailed in the high frequencies. The amp section proved to be quite dynamic, more so then my Harman Kardon integrated amplifier that currently comprises my bedroom system. I felt that RX-V2400 again had a more open and punchy presence than my integrated amp, but was a bit more analytical sounding. I definitely felt that this was the best sounding sub $1000 receiver I have yet to hear Yamaha produce. My old RXV-992 always seemed (dare I say) "bright" sounding with my speakers, and it wasn't until my eventual upgrade to the DSP-A1 that things smoothed out considerably. With the RX-V2400, I didn't feel like two channel playback was bright or stringent in this set-up. In fact, I threw a pair of Dynaudios and Von Schweikert bookshelf speakers at it and was constantly pleased by how the Yammie was delivering the sonic goods with no signs of distress or pungent sound character
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us