Annoying hum from Azur 640c

Username: David_s

Post Number: 1
Just wondering if anybody else has had a problem with hum from this machine? The first one I bought started to hum after a few days. The replacement I obtained today is doing it right from the start. There is no mains hum over the speakers, and the sound quality is really good (Mission Cyrus One amp and Monitor Audio Silver 5i speakers). But (and its a big but) every break in the music is filled with a noticeable 50 Hz hum. I can even feel the vibration through the player's casing. The retailer suggests that the reason it hums is because it has a big transformer in it, but I'm not buying that; the Cyrus One has an impressively big transformer in it, is ancient, but still makes almost no noise at all. I am contemplating switching to an equivalent spec NAD because of this problem, but I really like the Azur's sound. Am I likely to regret such a move? Cheers.

Username: Graemeadams

Post Number: 1
i am new to this Hi-Fi thing...but i returned my azur 640c. not only did i have the annoying hum but also a 'clickety click' on some cd's...the noise came from the mechanism not through the speaker...the guy at RS tried another 640c with the same result. i'm dissapointed as the sound quality is excellent...but i could't live with the annoying rattle and hum thing...now i have a lonely azur 640a looking for a cd player...i think the Nad c542 is the nxt port of call...

Username: Modulated

Hollywood, CA

Post Number: 4
I just got my 640C yesterday and set it up for break-in (36 hours straight of Thelonius Monk). I didn't bother connecting it to an amp yet, so I haven't listened. I do hear a tiny tick as the CD spins, but it's negligible and wouldn't be heard if there was music. It may even be the particular CD being spun. No hum is noticeable without it being connected, I'll report back after I patch it in.

Anynamewilldo
Unregistered guest
I swapped my first 640c for another one, but that hummed too. I spoke to a helpful chap at Cambridge Audio who suggested some things that I could try but also admitted that there could be a faulty batch of transformers. I was able to try some of his suggestions but the hum persisted. In the end I paid a bit more and got a NAD 542 instead. I think that this doesn't sound quite as polished as the 640c, but it is still a good player, and it doesn't hum!! David Stenhouse (forgot my password and so far have not been able to set a new one up)

Unregistered guest
Bought a 640A/640C combo 2 days ago, and the sound is seriously good. But the 640C hums all the time, even on standby. The hum is not loud, but I expect better for 250 quid - so back to RS. Tried 2 more 640Cs & a 540C in the dem-room, and they hummed as well, although all had a slightly different pitch. 'Mine' was the least worst - sounding like a quiet fridge. One of the others sounded more like a fish-tank! So I took the fridge home again. I think I can live with the faint hum, but I still want bring it to Cambridge Audio's attention. A faulty batch of transformers must be a possibility... Anyone got an address/phone number for them, please?

Username: Ca_convert

UK

Post Number: 2
The CA azur CD hum is well known. The remedy is a seperate power supply allegedly if its irritating. I have to stick my ears next to the unit to hear mine humming (its 2 days old). I certainly cant hear it over the usual background noise of doemstic life when its playing.

Unregistered guest
Got a 640C 6 days ago - it hums away quite merrily ruining the enjoyment of a great player. It seems to have got worse after the 36 hour burn in. Any suggestions?
Also got a 540R receiver - 2nd one as 1st hummed loudly - RS replaced it no questions asked but the new one hums worse!

Anynamewilldo
Unregistered guest
If you're not bothered about voiding your warranty, you might consider replacing the laminated transformer (I'm assuming that this is the type that has been used in the Azur series since I did not attempt to open my CD player) with a toroidal instead (at your own risk!!). I did this for my DPA DAC with excellent results. Not a difficult job provided there is enough room for the correct toroid. David Stenhouse

Laurence
Unregistered guest
About 5 years ago I got the cheapest cambridge audio A1 amp, and remember it had a really good transformer in it. It was out of warranty and broke (over heated it i think) so got a new one 2 months ago, and it hums really loud. The transformer is normal low grade one, and case resonates with the hum :-( I'm annoyed I threw the old one out, and for now i've wrapped the transformer in a sock and hopeing it wont catch fire!!... I'm still looking around for a replacement trans, and googling came up with this message board. :-) Cheers, Laurence

willser
Unregistered guest
the 540R has a toroidal transformer already. after the fourth replacement I gave up and deserted to Yamaha... not as exciting but quiet as a mouse. Ditto with the 640C (must be a bad batch of transformers or a lack of quality control..)but replaced that with a Marantz. All in all a pity as I had been impressed by the CA equipment - I am very happy with my (quiet) 540D DVD player. Now got to build a small dog kennel to house the Yam - just a bit bugger than the 540R!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us