Marantz pm7003 + Infinity primus 250?

Username: Louiebrown

Post Number: 1
Hi Guys,
I'm using Marantz pm7003 amplifier paired with Infinity primus 250 speakers. Going above 85% of the volume knob the lows are becoming weaker the sound is distorted and sometimes the protective circuit is triggered. Why is this happening? Should i look for new amp or new speakers?

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 3613
Infinity calls the speaker 92db sensitive. That is a fairly high value and indicates the speaker makes good use of amplifier power.
Marantz says 70x2 at 8ohms, which while not 'overpowering' should provide good sound in a reasonable (approprieate sized) space.

Perhaps? Look at setup? Also? Listening habits? Basically how LOUD do you like it? Speakers change as they get warm. Actually, the copper wire used in a part (all cone speaker have it) called the Voice Coil CHANGES resistance which leads to a phenom called compression. How LARGE is the room?
Everything is on the table. But I'm not certain MORE power would help. You could simply be overdriving the speaker? Any way AT ALL to try an amplifier of AT LEAST double or more the power?

The amp acting to PROTECT itself tells me you are running the SYSTEM beyond (well beyond) its comfort level.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 3614
Sorry I gave a serious answer to a 'hook' question. No Mas

Username: Bernardand

Post Number: 3
I gave a serious answer to a 'hook'
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?