Blown Tweeter's - What went wrong?

Username: Letsgetloud

Post Number: 1
I put together a home audio setup with the following.
Onkyo TX NR585 Amplifier
Upload
2 Fluance Signature HiFi 3 Way Floor Standing Speakers
Upload
2 Fluance Signature Hifi Bipolar Surround Sound Speakers
Upload

I blew the tweeters in all speakers all at once listening to some orchestral stuff and from what I can see these amplifiers and speakers are within the specs they should be to work great without blowing. Fluance offers a lifetime warranty for all of these but the said they would need to talk to their sound engineer to see whether this was my fault or not. I gave them the information for amplifier I used and they have simply stopped responding to me. Is this on me or have they oversold their speakers to do what they really can't? Also what happened? Keep this in mind...
1.The amp was turned up almost all the way when they blew.
2.Only the tweeters were affected and they sound ok at lower volumes but not nearly as good as they did, especially when i get the volume up at all.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 3590
Too LOUD and not ENOUGH amp. You clipped the signal probably and were completely insensitive to the distortion.
Cooked tweeters is the usual result.

Figure out where that 10% distortion comes in....at what power. Next time buy a better amp......

My OPINION? For what you spent on this multi-channel system you could have ended up with some serious stereo with a sub....
but that's just ME.

HT receivers are NOT known for good amplification. Perhaps a HT receiver with all channels PRE OUT to a good multi-channel amp? If you have the budget?
Run a dedicated power line to the stereo.

Username: Letsgetloud

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the response. Yeah I could hear it distorting a bit its true, didn't know anything about the implications of it though.
What is an HT receiver?
Got any recommendations for a nice surround sound setup that can really push some air? I'll be buying a new Amp, floor speakers, and surround sound speakers as well. I really enjoy having the surround sound speakers on while listening to music, though I know its not every audiophile's prerogative. I also would LIKE to have everything go into one amp because having the tv through these speakers is obviously a big deal too.

Thanks man

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 3591
HT is Home Theater. I think that's what your Onkyo is, right?
MOST of them are only OK amps. That's why the vast majority of surround type speakers are 8 ohm.....An HT receiver generally wont' drive 4ohm, but they are rated to 6 ohms. As it turns out? A speaker is NOT simply one impedance. Or if so, it was measured at a specific frequency. Because of the physics of it?
Speaker will vary quite a bit over the full frequency range you are interested in. An 8 ohm 'Rated' speaker could possibly drop under 4 ohms at one point and be 12 to 16 ohms at the 'high point'.

You can spend unlimited amounts on this kind of stuff. I won't recommend any specific gear, since I'm not interested in HT, having a good stereo which is stable for years at a time. I'd PERSONALLY look for a HT receiver with PREAMP OUTPUTS so you could add additional amplification. The majority of power is apparently used by the Center and Left / Right speakers. The remainder don't use that much power.

If you want to dip your toes into aftermarket amplification? Go Look at EMOTIVA. Least expensive, perhaps, but they count on a churn of new stuff. You can ge an amp configured for from ONE to maybe TEN or ELEVEN channels. Many other choices exist, some of which can get expensive.

Any place you can go HEAR stuff? That's where I'd start looking for a speaker upgrade. I suspect the manufactureres warranty on what you broke is worthless?

As for how loud you like it? It isn't just sheer 'power', but how loud the speaker will play with unclipped material. Clipping was that distortion you heard. could have been the amp running out of gas or the speaker incapable of handling the power. Or both. Speaker power ratings are BS. I can think of maybe 3 ways or so to rate, each resulting is a different number.

How big a room do you have? Good POWER to the room? Any ability to drop another power line TO the room? Have you considered sound treatments in the budget?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us