Receiver/turntable issue

Username: Lapar

Cartersville, GA United States

Post Number: 1
I have a Sherwood RX4103 receiver and an Audio Technica direct drive turntable AT-LP120. When I play an album, one of the speakers sounds like it is shorting out. I also have this receiver hooked up through my TV and my DVD player and get perfect sound from the speakers with both of these devices. This happens with and without a preamp. Any ideas what this could be?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 18699

The symptoms are leading to a diagnosis of a loose connection somewhere in the circuit from the phono cartridge to the power amp of the receiver. Both components are a few years old in the market. Are the new to you? Has the problem with the table always existed with this combination? Or, did this just start to cut out?

Username: Lapar

Cartersville, GA United States

Post Number: 2
The turntable was new out of the box 7 months ago. The receiver belonged to friend who gave it to me along with some Cerwin Vega speakers. The problem with the turntable connection has always existed. The receiver does not have a phono in/out. I have tried it using all the others tape/cd/vcr and the one speaker is cutting in and out on all.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 18700

OK, I see the table has a built in phono pre amp. According to the specs provided by AT (https://www.audio-technica.com/cms/turntables/583f30b3a8662772/index.html) the table is supplied with detachable audio cables for connection to a line level input on the receiver (CD, AUX, TAPE IN, etc)

There are a few possible suggestions to be made which might remedy the problem though most involve having the table serviced under warranty. Here's what you can check before you take your table in for service ...

First, it is possible the tonearm's tracking weight is not set properly. This could cause the stylus of the cartridge to make somewhat intermittent contact with the record groove. The resulting sound would be that of one channel cutting out. Either check the tracking force for the cartridge/arm combination - the suggested tracking weight where the cartridge rides evenly in the groove - or take the table to a shop and have them set the tracking force. (If you move the table, make sure the tonearm is locked own to its rest or you may damage the cartridge or stylus.) If you are unsure how to check and set the downforce, you can check instructions on line (use the link above) or ask and I'll walk you through the process. Don't let someone do this adjustment unless you are comfortable with their knowledge of tables. Set the tracking force to the upper range of the suggested values given for the cartridge.

Don't forget to reset the table's anti-skate setting after you have the tracking force adjusted. Be very careful during this entire procedure, it's quite common for the arm to get away from you while handling it and that may break off the stylus assembly of the cartridge. Go slow, follow directions and be careful.

If that doesn't solve the problem, the next thing to check would start a process of tracking down the intermittent connection. The first most likely spot for a bad contact would be in the RCA cables running from the table to the receiver. (You say you have tried all input options on the table so I'll assume the problem is within the table or its cables and we have decided the issue is external to the receiver.) The most likely spot for a bad connection is the give away RCA cables supplied with the table.

The first thing to try is simply swapping the cables from one channel to the other. If only one channel has been cutting out, I'm going to assume it is always the same channel according to the left/right orientation of the cables. With RCA's the right channel is typically the red connector. The other cable will then be left.

Swap the cables from right to left in one location only. In other words, if you swap at both ends, you've only changed the color of the connector running to the right channel.

Begin by powering down your receiver. Any connection changes you might make should always be done with the receiver turned off.

Swap the cables for each other only at, say, the table end. Carefully grab the cable by the barrel of the connector at the plug - do not pull on the cable itself. Pull straight out and don't wiggle the connector. Swap the connections right to left and check for proper operation. If the problematic channel has moved with the cable swap, you have a bad cable and it needs to be replaced. If any of the RCA's are not snug in the jack, they should either be tightened slightly or the cable should be replaced. RCA's should attach and detach with fairly minimal effort.

I don't want to give you more suggestions at this time as this is the most likely cause of intermittent sound when using RCA cables. Also, from here we will be getting into some more delicate cabling in order to troubleshoot the problem.

I will assume you have given the table a good visual inspection and everything appears to be correct. If not, do so now and pay particular attention to the headshell area of the tonearm. If anything appears to be out of sorts there, let me know but don't try to fix this yourself as you can do some irreparable damage if you just start changing things.

Work in good, bright light and always remember to shut down the receiver before you make any connection changes. It's best to physically detach to receiver's power cable from the outlet just to make sure no accidents occur.

Let me know how this goes.

Username: Leo2qb

Post Number: 1
Jan Vigne, thanks a lot for explanation, it helped me in some way.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us