Active Versus Passive Configurations

Username: Jawdagger

Post Number: 1
As someone who has tethered a Windows PC to an Aventage receiver via HDMI with a midrange Klipsch surround setup, which is theoretically better: passive or active subwoofer configurations? Taking a step back, I'm realizing a lot of the Youtube/streaming content I listen to/watch won't be surround-mastered. If I'm understanding right, wiring the subs in passively should mean they'll take whatever portion of the signal being sent to the left and right channels they can handle, whereas in an active configuration, they'll only generally play what's sent to them specifically and not intelligently capture all the low frequencies.

Is that true? I realize that in a true passive configuration I'd need two subwoofers, but I'm just trying to figure out if I'm approaching this accurately. I'm aware that speaker configurations can be set inside Windows, but I don't know how intelligently it handles differently mastered content and it seems like wiring the subs straight to the L/Rs might bypass any possible confusion. Would the subs be quieter as passives?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 18616

That's a lot of questions.

Go active. Active subs have amplifiers and crossovers intended only for use with subs.

You only need one sub in most set ups. Bass signals are progressively mixed into mono beneath about 100Hz.

Even the low end Yamaha surround receiver will have an LFE (low Frequency effects) channel output which feeds to the sub's power amp inputs. You can then set your subwoofer controls to suit your set up. Passive subs have no practical level matching between speakers and sub abd can often be too loud or too quiet to blend well with a "foreign" speaker system.

I have no idea what "intelligently" means in your use but the sub will be included in any stereo signal processing. That should include most youtube content.

Set the speakers' configuration with the Yamaha. The LFE channel will provide the appropriate crossover configuations for system is you set the main speakers to "small" in the Yamaha's menu.

The active amp in the sub will probably have a signal to noise ration well over 100:1. That's plenty.

Username: Jawdagger

Post Number: 2
Thanks, that answers my question. And you've reminded me to confirm that the L&Rs are set to Small on the receiver AND that the L&Rs are not set to Full Range inside Windows. I wasn't aware of the LFE options either, I probably didn't read closely enough upon intial install a few years ago (we just moved, so this is all relevant again!) But I'm pleasantly surprised that I'm not stuck toggling between speaker configurations in Windows/on the receiver to get proper subwoofer integration.

And just in case this appears in future Google searches for anyone, here's Yamaha's official guidance (which I found thanks to your guidance to look at LFE settings):

If the individual speakers are set to SMALL within the speaker settings option of a Yamaha A/V receiver, and the LFE/Bass output is set to SWFR (Sub woofer), the LFE/BASS output that is intended for that speaker will be redirected to the sub woofer.
If the individual speakers are set to SMALL within the speaker settings option of a Yamaha A/V receiver, and the LFE/BASS output is set to BOTH, the LFE/BASS that is intended for that speaker will be redirected to the sub woofer.
If the main/front speakers are set to SMALL and the LFE/Bass output is set to MAIN/FRONT within the speaker settings option of a Yamaha A/V receiver, the LFE/BASS output would be muted. If the main/front speakers are set to LARGE and any other speaker is set to SMALL and the LFE/BASS output is set to MAIN/FRONT within the speaker settings option of a Yamaha A/V receiver, the LFE/BASS output for that other speaker would be sent to the main/front speakers.
If all speakers are set to LARGE and the LFE/BASS output is set to SWFR (Sub woofer) within the speaker settings option of a Yamaha A/V receiver, you will only get the discrete LFE (The ".1" in a 5.1 movie) signals directed to the sub woofer.
If any speaker is set to LARGE and the LFE/BASS output is set to BOTH within the speaker settings option of a Yamaha A/V receiver, you will only get the LFE/Bass output sent to set to that speaker as well as the sub woofer.
If the main/front speakers are set to LARGE and the LFE/Bass output is set to MAIN/FRONT within the speaker settings option of a Yamaha A/V receiver, you will get the discrete LFE (The ".1" in a 5.1 movie) signals directed to the main/front speakers.

*Incidentally, thank you for all the help you're clearly offering here, I know many awesome legacy forums like this one are dying slow deaths and it's people like you that are keeping a precious few alive.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 18617

Thanks.

Make most of your system set up functions in one location only. There's no need to set controls in Windows and then duplicate those settings in the receiver. Allow the digital device to feed a full range signal and the receiver will do the division with its own signal processing. Same with the sub, don't overlap settings or you may get less performance than is possible by allowing the receiver to do the work.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us