Business receiver

Username: Jeremyh2

Post Number: 1
I have a business that has ceiling speakers. There are 7 speaker cables coming out of the wall.
What kind of receiver do I need to run all speakers at the same time?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 18512

Depends on how the speakers are wired. Any idea whether they are in parallel or series connection?

How loud do you want to play? What sort of source?

Are there any volume controls in the system? Do you want volume controls to set speakers at different levels?

Seven is an add number. What's the single speaker for and where is it? Is each speaker wire a single wire with just a positive and a negative leg? Or, are there more than two cables in a single wrap?

Do you intend to run the same source signal through all speakers at the same time?

Are you doing the connection yourself?

Username: Jeremyh2

Post Number: 2
I do not know if they are parallel or series connections.

it will be low volume (just background music) from a Sirius XM radio

There are no volume controls but I want them at same volume for all speakers playing the same thing throughout the store

I believe each speaker has a cable running out of the wall with a positive and negative leg.

I will most likely be setting up myself

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 18513

Well, it would be a good idea to check the wiring before making any connections. Take a 9 Volt battery and, using individual pairs, touch each leg of each wire to the positive and the negative terminals of the battery individually in other words one leg on + and the other on -. Do one set of cables at a time and just flick one leg across the battery terminal while holding the other leg on the opposing terminal. You should hear the speaker click when a circuit is completed. This will allow you to both determine whether all speakers are safe to connect to your amplifier and you can mark the location of each speaker for future reference. If you can't get each speaker to operate, then don't make any connection to that line or you'll risk damaging the amplifier.

I still don't know what the odd speaker is for. If you are running a stereo (two channel) signal, then you'd need a stereo to mono transformer to connect the one additional speaker. If you have a pre amp/receiver with a mono switch, then you simply make the connection to all speakers and run the system in mono at all times.

In ceiling speakers are generally rather high efficiency systems which don't require a lot of power for background level music. A 30 watt amplifier should be plenty though you may go higher if you wish. Buy a credible receiver or amplifier and don't skimp to save a few $$$'s. Brands aren't all that important if you make sure the system is set up correctly and you do not stress the amplifier. While fidelity may not be important to background music, spending for a decent amplifier is good insurance. You might look into a NAD integrated amplifier if you have no need for a radio tuner.

Buy a speaker selection switch box with "autoformers". Just copy/paste that description into a search engine. If you want all speakers at the same volume, all you need is the switch box. If you prefer to control volume to certain speakers, then buy a selector with vc's. Wire the speakers to the selector box and then wire the box to the speaker outputs of the amplifier using just one pair of outputs on the amp.

Autoformer type boxes are more expensive than simple selector switches but they justify their cost if you want reliability. By selecting the impedance load of the individual speakers (usually done by removing the cover to the box and positioning a few DIP switches) the overall load shown to the amplifier is stabilized at eight Ohms which is ideal for a solid state amplifier. Since you don't know how the speakers are connected, this sill gives you the safest load on the amplifier and should ensure the receiver/amp does not overheat or break down.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1CAACAY_enUS754US756&ei=HvHDWv3XHKHljwTFrbXIBA &q=NAD+integrated+amplifiers&oq=NAD+integrated+amplifiers&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0j0i7i3 0k1j0i7i10i30k1.18662.19228.0.20923.2.2.0.0.0.0.98.164.2.2.0....0...1c.1.64.psy- ab..0.2.161....0.4csBZLKWHDI

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us