Harman Kardon Avr 225 Receiver

Silver Member
Username: Shawnharman

Post Number: 212
I just got a Harman Kardon Avr 225 receiver today, the problem im having with it is that it has a very loud buzzing noise coming from all channels. This buzzing noise changes tones at a certain point when i turn down the volume it doesn't get lower the tone of the sound changes. this happens with no sources hooked up as well with, but I get get strong audio from all speakers and nothing cuts out or seems weak. any help would greatly be appreciated. oh and the display doesnt work and sometimes it comes on very dim, could the front panel circuit board have anything to do with the buzzing noise?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 18426

Looks as though you have a 15 year old AVR. On this forum, we tend to give any AVR about a 5-6 year life span before it craps out. Some longer, some shorter. The commmon thread running through all such failures however, is the common lack of a reason to repair an "old" AVR.

Features change and are added to a new AVR, new features require new connectors which can't be retrofitted to old gear. Large integrated circuits which control the functions of the AVR are probably no longer available after a five or so years and certainly not after a decade.

All that and more makes repairs of any old AVR less than sensical. I doubt you can find a shop that will touch this receiver. No shop wishes to be tied to a repair of "old stuff" that us very likely going to have more repair issues soon.

I doubt the front panel board has anything to do with the issues this receiver is displaying. Matters become worse if this unit has been in storage for a while. More than likely, the problems are in the power supply which is the heart of any modern amplifier. If so, I wouldn't bother putting money into a 15 year old AVR.

If you find a shop willing to look at the unit, ask them abut paying only for an estimate of repair costs and they'll deal with the least amount of money you can put into this one. If you decide to go ahead with the repairs, costs will be adjusted accordingly.

Username: Sky007

Post Number: 1
i have hk AVR 525,it's a great receiver but the problem is i think it's cooling fan stop working and once it get heat up it turn's it off automatically very annoying, what should i do please help me thank you.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 18514

Spend money to repair your current receiver or spend money to buy a new receiver.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 3484
JV is right. most HT receivers are pretty much beyond help after 10 years.

The long term solution? Seperates. A Preamp / Processor may be updateable to some extent while a GOOD 5 channel amplifier will last 2 decades or more, if not abused, cooked, dropped or chewed up by the dog.

I know this is a quite a bit more $$$, but long-term actually will cost less than replacing an obsolete receiver every 5 years. A properly purchased PrePro will have the ability to update software / firmware and perhaps keep you 'current'.

Username: Jgoorn

Post Number: 1
You need to remove the top cover and disconnect the video input ribbon cable and power cable. It fixed my buzzing from all channels and subwoofer. I can pm pics but there is a ridiculous 620x600 pixel image restriction. Super easy, 6 screws on the sides (3 per side) and all the small screws on the back going along the perimeter of the metal lid to the chassis. Took 20 seconds to fix. All that was necessary was a small phillips screwdriver.

Username: Franke

Gilbert, AZ USA

Post Number: 2
I'm with jgoorn above. On an AVR 225 I had noise in the right output. The origin was the top rear long input board which has a bunch of wierd inputs and all of the s-video inputs. I didn't need any of those, so I pulled the connecting cable from it to the rest of the receiver. All noise gone! All else works great!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us