Connect laptop with HDMI to receiver with AV cables

Username: Brpower45

Dayton, GA United States

Post Number: 1
Hello, I am trying to use audio from my laptop HDMI output thru my surround sound receiver with AV cables. What kind of adapters and which ins and outs do I need to be using. I'm kinda knowledgeable when it comes to this stuff but the conversion has got me stumped. Thanks.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 18349

So, the AV receiver has no HDMI input? What are your options? Only RCA's?

If there is a video monitor in the system, you can try using it as your converter. Run HDMI to the monitor and take your RCA outs from the monitor.

Username: Brpower45

Dayton, GA United States

Post Number: 2
Yes. The receiver has only RCA's. You're saying run HDMI to TV then RCA outputs on TV to inputs on stereo?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 18352

You can try that. Some systems will not synch sound and video perfectly with such a connection. But try. Not all monitors have 5.1 surround outputs.

If it synchs, great. If not, try just the HDMI to the monitor and use the internal speakers set to a pseudo-surround mode.

You'll need a HDMI cable with a transfer speed appropriate for the computer. Check the specs for the computer. You'll also have to get into menus for the monitor and the receiver to make sure you have ins and outs switched on.

There are HDMI to composite out adapters. Typically they do not provide full discrete surround sound. Simply insert "HDMI to RCA adapter" into a search engine. This is a kludge set up and there's no guarantee you'll have surround sound. Dolby Digital surround requires 5.1 discrete inputs.

It may be time to simply update the AV receiver to more modern technology.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us