Pioneer VSX-820 won't detect signal on optical digital input

Username: Wolfar

Post Number: 1
Greetings,

I have a Pioneer VSX-820 receiver as the heart of my home theater system. I recently upgraded my display to a 4K UltraHD device. Unfortunately, my receiver is not 4K compatible. So, the idea was, since I have sufficient 4K inputs, I would connect my DTV 4K tuner, PS4 Pro and XBox one S devices via HDMI to the new display and I would then connect the optical digital audio output from the display back to my receiver. Now the problem is that I'm getting no sound out of the receiver. No matter which source I select, when I use the Signal Sel button to choose the O2 as te source, the digital indicator flashes and after a few seconds the 'O2' reverts to 'A'. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on how I fix this issue? I really like my receiver and I'm not looking to replace it, so, any help is greatly appreciated.

TIA
WolfAr

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 18343

Troubleshooting home theater systems is a PITA. Too many ways to get to the same result.

First, check the set up menu in each component to make sure you have in's and out's operational. Not every component has auto detect functions.

If that doesn't solve the problem, you have to revert to old school logic. Take the system down to a fairly basic set up and make sure you have sound and functionality.

Then you add one source component and check for operation. If you can't get one component to work then you have to go back to your owner's manual and the internal menus and check for mistakes.

Once you have one component working, add the second and run the same checks.

It's fairly unlikely the monitor doesn't have send operations. Since most of the signal processing is done by integrated circuits, dozens and dozens of functions exist on one chip. While it's not impossible one function might quit, typically a chip completely stops working and multiple functions stop.

One piece at a time is the only way I know to resolve connection issues. And always be suspicious of bad cables.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us