Best CD and cassette player with input and output? No speakers

Username: Livestock110

Post Number: 1
I have recently been looking online for CD cassette players, that have an input and output for audio. My current portable CD player has a radio, an input, a CD player and a tape player, but its built in speakers are TERRIBLE, and there is no output! So, I need a new one with the features I have described, but I haven't had any luck finding any. It can be portable or non-portable, but if it isn't portable, I already have speakers, so it doesn't necessarily need them! Please just post a link to one. Thanks in advance!

Post Number: 2
I have found one called the Auna Groove Star CD and cassette player, and it has all the features I want. I don't care about the speakers because I have my own though haha. It has inputs and outputs, but my main concern will be the cassette player. Any opinions on its quality?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 18054

Post a link to the unit.

Post Number: 3
http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-specs/CFD-S50/list I've looked at this in a shop, and it seems good quality (it's also Sony) but I didn't get to test it out. There's a review on YouTube that shows the tape player and speaker quality: https://youtu.be/AVkHSrlq59E

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 18057

You're asking for an opinion of "quality" on a portable player. What sort of quality are you expecting? This is a very inexpensive unit built, out of necessity, by using very inexpensive parts. You get what you pay for in such equipment. Sound, not great sound, but sound.

Such units are not generally repaired should problems arise. There's no sense paying the repair cost for a unit that initially costs less than the hourly rate for any troubleshooting. The average lifespan of such portables is less than three years. Then they are discarded. No one will repair them. Sony doesn't even bother to supply replacement parts for most of what goes into these players. That is, in part, a statement of quality which covers this whole group of electronic components.

The cassette player/recorder has no Dolby noise reduction circuits. They aren't needed in this unit due to the extremely poor frequency response of the built in speakers and the generally noisy circuitry surrounding the player. Without noise reduction, cassettes, as a source, are considered OK for vocal reproduction, say, dictation. It is not a high quality source for music.

Driving your speakers with this unit may be difficult, if not impossible. The amplifier outputs very low wattage suited only to the minimal requirements of the built in speakers. It's highly unlikely the amplifier can drive external speakers.

The outputs of the player, as far as I can tel, have no volume control affecting their levels. They are not intended to drive external speakers. The outputs are meant to send a line level - not a speaker level - signal to another component, not to external speakers.

If I understand your initial post correctly, this unit is not suited to your requirements.

If this is what you can afford, fine. The u nit will make sounds and that is better than no music at all. But this is not a "high quality"component and it likely will not drive your existing speakers.

Post Number: 4
Okay, thanks for the reply. So I'm guessing the cassette player inside is not good for playing and recording tapes at high quality. Can you (or anyone) recommend any portable/non portable units that can play and record tapes at high quality? I don't need anything extremely expensive for audiophile use, but I need something that will deliver high quality sound with an input and headphone output. I don't mind if there is a small amount of hiss from the tape player, as long as it sounds good!

Post Number: 5
In short, a good CD and cassette player under �100, that has an input and output for tape recording and listening. I will also continue to search for one. Thanks!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us