Technics SL 235

Username: Clay_kopeckyahoocom

Willis, Michigan UNITED STATE...

Post Number: 1
I have a technics SL 235 turntable that needs a new motor. I'm having trouble finding the exact match for it. Is there a direct drive motor that would be interchangeable with this model?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17924

This is a belt drive table, right? What has convinced you the motor needs to be replaced?

It should be a synchronous motor. It can probably be replaced by any similar motor if you can match the mounting system. Or for the age of the table it seems to be available pre-owned and on line for pretty cheap dollars. It's a fully automatic table so having a spare donor table might be a good idea if you intend to keep this table for awhile.

Post Number: 2
Thats good info thank you, GMT. Im going to pull the motor tomorrow to take measurements on the mounting.
What convinced me that the motor is bad is that though it is spinning it does not have the strength to turn the table. Looks to have been melted from heat that could come from nowhere else but the pully and motor.
Does that sound like a bad motor to you?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17925

"Melted"?! What looks melted?

I'm going to make a few assumptions and you tell me what is not correct. First, I assume you've done no maintenance on this table over the years. Second, maintenance includes replacing the belt every few years at least. So I assume you've not replaced the belt. Belts wear out and stretch out and eventually can no longer spin the platter smoothly or at all. If the problem is in the automatic functions though, that would say the table needs to be cleaned and lubed by a tech. An inspection for any bent or damaged parts would be included in this servicing. The tech would also change the belt. Probably about $100 or so depending on whether the table required parts replacement beyond the belt itself.

You can begin with a new belt which you can install yourself. They are available on line or most repair shops would probably have a few generic belts in stock. You order by shape - round or flat, your table's belt is probably flat - and length or circumference. Consider your belt has stretched out over the years and order a belt somewhat smaller than your belt measures. No need to be exact on this, just don't order so small it wedges the motor pulley off to the side. "Snug" but comfortable is what you're after here. Take the mat off your platter and pull up on the platter using the two holes in the platter surface to expose the motor pulley and the old belt. I'll assume you know how to get this far if you've looked at the motor pulley.

Clean the pulley and the underside of the platter surface with alchohol and a Q-tip. Replace the belt and see if that doesn't solve your problem. You can also dip the belt in a plastic bag with some talcum powder if it tends to slip. Make sure you shake off the excess powder so there's just enough to give the belt some traction. A very light coating is all that's required.

Beyond that you're going to have to tell me what the actual problem is before I can give any further advice. There really is no reason for the heat of a synchronous motor to melt anything. If any parts on the underside of the table appear to be burned, then you might need the speed control circuit repaired. This is a fairly common repair done to the Japanese tables which used a quartz oscillator for speed control. It's not a repair most folks can accomplish on their own however. If the new belt doesn't solve your problem, then you need to take the table to a tech for servicing.

Post Number: 3
I just cleaned it up real good. Put my new belt back on and tried it again. Filled with the speed control and lo and behold it is working!! Sounds a bit slow though.
Thank you Jan for your advice! It didn't fall on deaf ears and if I continue to have problems I will consider taking it to a service tech. Although after seven years into vinyl I think it's time to take things like this on myself as far as I can.
Thank you again I might have given up on this.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us