Whole House sound breakdown

Username: Meljoesr

Post Number: 1
I had a Home theater system and whole house sound install in 2005. Marantz SR-7500 receiver Speakercraft BB2125 250 Watt Amp and SC S4 switcher with Sonance Ipod Dock at the heart of the system. About a year ago I notice a ticking sound in one outdoor chanel and now all whole house zones just tick with no sound. How do I diagnose this problem. The receiver also doesn't act quite right and the home theater portion is not working so I guess it is the problem but I don't want to replace it until I am sure thats waht's wrong. any help would be appreciated.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17908

Every component you list is full of integrated circuits. Each integrated circuit is the equivalent to tens and even thousands of discrete components (resistors, capacitors, etc.). You have no schematics for any of these components I assume. That makes diagnosing a specifc problem all but impossible.

You can narrow down the area of the problem somewhat but even that is difficult since, without schematics or test gear, the only way to be certain a component is at fault would be to replace each piece with another similar piece.

I have to assume the receiver is running to the amp by way of its pre amp outputs. Correct? Does the amplifier drive any of the speakers directly from its own power amp outputs?

If so and those speakers operate fully, then you can eliminate the receiver as the source of your problem. If not, making a hook up directly - not through in wall cables - to a pair of speakers will determine the functionality of the receiver.

You can, and should, make similar connections to the power amp. Using your iPod as the source for music connect the amp to a set of speakers for each pair of output jacks provided. The iPod will be your volume control for the amp so always start with the iPod's volume setting at its minimum and slowly raise the volume to check the amp. If the power amp checks as good and the receiver is operational, then you've taken out the two most likely components subject to large scale failure.

The rest of the components can be checked in a similar way. Hook up your selector to an operational receiver using the receiver's speaker outputs. Check each set of outputs on the selector. Troubleshooting a system is simply a matter of elimination of components down the chain starting with the main source of the signal. It requires methodology, logic and likely taking a few notes. You check each possible input/output connection for a through signal. Once one component proves itself functional, you move on to the next link in the chain.

After you've tested the selector I would guess everything else pertinent to the system is in wall. There's likely nothing you can check there other than a volume control for each set of speakers. You probably don't want to venture into that test. If you do, it too is a bypass directly to the speakers.

Don't forget you have lots of cables in this system and, if one of the cables has been smashed against the wall and into a 90 degree bend, there is the possibility the cable has failed. Here again, a direct bypass would be your check.

Checking this system can take hours of disconnecting and reconnecting each component. If you are uncertain of how the system is wired, certainly make notes and create wire labels so you can reconnect the system in the correct manner. If you find the receiver or amp to be at fault, then have the component serviced or replaced. If the easy things check as operational, then your best bet is to call a shop for assistance. There's a limit to how much an individual can do without test equipment and it's worth your money to hire a technician.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us