Marantz SR8001 Good Enough for Paradigm Set Up?

Username: Tonis01

Post Number: 1
Hello,

I'm pretty much a novice with this stuff and am hoping somebody can help with this question. I have the SR8001 (125W x 7)and am picking up some Studio 60's to run with my CC-590, SVS PB-2000, in addition to some rears that I've yet to pick out. I'm wondering if this Marantz will be good enough to run this set up? Somebody is offering to sell me an Anthem MCA 50 for $900 (fair price?). Not sure if I need to spend the extra money on the MCA 50? Room size is 17'x14', 8' flat ceiling, tile floor with a big throw rug.

Thanks for any feedback, I appreciate it!

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17868

It's impossible to tell someone what will be "good enough". I can't find any information specific to the Studio 60 but this comes from Stereophile's measurements of the Studio 60 V.5: "The Paradigm Reference Studio 60 v.5 is specified as having a voltage sensitivity of 89dB, but with no drive voltage given. My estimate of its sensitivity on the speaker's tweeter axis was a little higher, at 90dB(B)/2.83V/m, which is usefully higher than average. The Paradigm will play at satisfyingly high levels with relatively low-powered amplifiers. Its impedance (fig.1) remains between 5 and 8 ohms over most of the audioband, though a minimum magnitude of 3.6 ohms at 185Hz and a combination of 5 ohms and 37° electrical phase angle at 110Hz mean that the amplifier used should be capable of dealing with 4 ohm loads." I'd be willing to bet the original 60 is not too different than the 60 v.5.

These measurements would indicate the Marantz may struggle at times with the Paradigm's load. Certainly at higher volume levels the amp will be more stressed despite the high on paper wattage spec. High wattage on paper doesn't always translate into sufficient power into a real world speaker load. "Power" and "watts" are not completely interchangeable values.

Low impedance combined with high electrical phase angle means you will need a fair amount of Amperage (current) delivery from the amp. Not only instantaneous current delivery but also long term current stability. Given the location of these impedance/phase angle issues, many amps would have similar problems driving the Paradigm system.

Chances are the Anthem would be a more capable amp and would likely have superior sound quality over the Marantz. Whether it would be better suited to a speaker load related to a multi-element, multi-way speaker system such as the Paradigm is debatable.

The speaker industry has, IMO, long been obsessed with what sells in the demo room and, for newbies as well as some seasoned listeners, taking the grill off a speaker such as the 60's will be impressive enough to close the sale over a simpler, more well suited to the real world of amplifiers design. We each have our own priorities when it comes to equipment. However, I would like to think most smart buyers will eventually realize more is seldom better in audio. That refers both to how many watts are spec'd and how many drivers are included in any one box.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us