How do i hook up a 2 way center speaker to one center speaker output on my reciever

Username: Brettdis

LANGLEY, BC

Post Number: 1
i have a paradigm cc450 which i want to hook to my sony str-dn610
how? the sony receiver only has 1 output for a center speaker but the paradigm has 2 sets of connectors.
my receiver specs says 4 Ohm/8 Ohm Switching : No(8 Ohm only)
so i assume i cant just slit the wire into 2 coming out. the receiver has a biamp thingy going on but to use it i would lose my back surround speakers. is there a way to use the paradigm with this receiver or should i not try?
also the gold plates that should be under the input terminals on the center speaker have been removed does this matter?
here is a link to my reciever specs
http://store.sony.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=100803&s toreId=20153&langId=200&productId=8198552921666232797#additionalImage2

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17788

Looks as though there should be some jumpers between the two sets of input connectors on the speaker. These would be the "gold plates" you mention.

You can either reinstall the jumpers or you can split your speaker cable to attach to both sets.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 3067
When doing as Jan suggests, make sure you keep the speaker 'in phase'.

Plus to Plus.......minus to minus.

Best bet? reinstall the gold jumpers (plates) and use a single speaker wire.....

Username: Brettdis

LANGLEY, BC

Post Number: 2
i dont have the jumper plates. to split my wire and attach to both sets where would i split the wire? where it connects to the receiver or the speaker? is this gonna effect my 8 omh thingy? i read that if i split the wire it will cause the 8omh to change to 4omh on each speaker? am i misunderstanding this? could i just take 2 sets of wire and twist em together then insert them into the receiver terminal or is that gonna blow up my receiver?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17789

Yep! You're misunderstanding it. If the speaker has a system impedance of 8 Ohms, then the receiver is looking at an 8 Ohm load when you connect the entire speaker system. There are exceptions to this rule but, for your purposes, that's the rule you should use in this application.

Cut off small pieces of your cable (3" or so) or go get some other sort of cable to use as a jumper between the two input connectors. I think Audio Advisor sells better than average jumpers for a few bucks. Look on their web site.

Just make sure, if you use stranded cabling, all of your connections are clean and tight with no stray conductors peeling off from the connector which could cause a short circuit. Strip off just enough insulation to make the connection. Wrap the bare wire around the post slightly in the direction the connector tightens (clockwise) before you begin to tighten things down. You can usually take the shaft of a small screwdriver and pre-bend the wire around it to fit snugly over your connector post.

You can go to Radio Shack and buy a spool of 18 gauge solid core hook up wire for a few dollars. Buy a cable stripper with the wire and this would be a highly acceptable jumper with no possibility of stray conductors shorting your your amp.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us