Update from the newbie

Gold Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 2208
The young man for whom I inquired about a $100 to 300 turntable settled on a Stanton T 92. He said to thank Jan for at least responding. He figured that was the case, but thought he'd ask just in case. You never know. He is now enjoying his records and might join us if he ever feels the need to upgrade.

Silver Member
Username: Ornello

Post Number: 274
This looks like a DJ turntable.

Silver Member

Post Number: 275
Here is what he needs:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thorens-TD-127-Electonic-Belt-Drive-Turntable-/321081755 061?pt=US_Record_Players_Home_Turntables&hash=item4ac1f6c5b5

Silver Member

Post Number: 276
Here ya go! After you graduate from 'Newbie'....

http://www.analogue-classics.com/html/thorens_td_127.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 277
Another source for turntables:

http://www.vinylnirvana.com/vintage-turntables-for-sale/rare-and-elite-thorens-t d-126-mkii/

Gold Member

Post Number: 2209
Just so you know Orne, I am NOT passing on any of your so called "advice" to this guy. So feel free to make endless posts of non-sense only to have it ignored. I know you'll respond with more stupid crap because you can't think of anything useful to post, but it won't.reach him okay?

Silver Member

Post Number: 278
How wonderful that must make you feel.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2210
Yes, it actually does make me feel wonderful!

Silver Member

Post Number: 280
Wallowing in ignorance....

Gold Member

Post Number: 2211
"Wallowing in ignorance...."

Yes Orne, that's just exactly what YOU are doing!

Silver Member

Post Number: 281
ahhh, but you are quite mistaken.....

Gold Member

Post Number: 2212
"ahhh, but you are quite mistaken.....'

NOPE!

Silver Member

Post Number: 282
You believe I care what you think? I know what's what, and what's not what.

IF somebody wants to listen to records, you can't do better than Thorens and Ortofon, unless you want to spend outrageous amounts. Do you disagree?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2213
"ahhh, but you are quite mistaken....."

You want to talk about mistaken? The primary purpose of this thread was to express gratitude to Jan on behalf of my co-worker. Although he hasn't replied, I'm sure he saw that. The secondary purpose was to give an update to any intelligent people (NOT you Orne) who were interested. It was NOT intended for you to ramble on about the Thorens that you basically called a piece of crap in a thread that you started.

"You believe I care what you think?"...Do you disagree?"

Well, obviously you do care what I think or you wouldn't have asked if I dissagree and I don't agree with much of anything that you say.

"IF somebody wants to listen to records, you can't do better than Thorens and Ortofon, unless you want to spend outrageous amounts."

Yes, the same Thorens you called a piece of crap is a darn good turntable when it's convenient for you. You're not very good at agreeing with yourself, are you?

"I know what's what, and what's not what."

ROTFLMAO! Not by ANY stretch of the imagination!

The bottomline is that the guy bought a turntable that he's happy with and he does not need any of your "help". Okay? Plain and simple. Why don't you find a forum about nothing so that you can discuss the one subject you do know something about: NOTHING!

Silver Member

Post Number: 283
I never called Thorens a piece of crap. I said I could not believe what they were selling for. Big difference.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2214
"Ornello

Silver Member

Post Number: 126

Ornello posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2013 - 23:07 GMT

I used to own this turntable. I see them fetching ridiculous prices today on e-bay, far more than I got for mine in 1988 when I sold it."

The way you word this does in fact imply that you don't think the Thorens TT you had was very good, certainly not worth what people are selling it for now. Yet, you'd recommend it to someone else? Such an approach would make anyone new to records leary of your advice.

Silver Member

Post Number: 284
Do you have trouble with English? Thorens turntables are very good, well-made, reliable, durable, but not worth what they are selling for now unless in mint condition. If I had to buy a turntable now, I would get a Thorens again.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2215
YNo trouble with English at all. You knocked the Thorens and then recommended it. You have difficulty remembering what you say and following your own posts.

Silver Member

Post Number: 285
You have reading comprehension difficulties. I didn't knock them at all. I just don't think the prices they fetch used make any sense.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2216
Reading comprehension difficulties eh? Well, I comprehend that you did in fact put the Thorens in a bad light and then said that it was one of the best TTs ever made. You don't seem to comprehend this at all.

From my original post, it was clear that my co-worker bought a TT, he's happy with it and that some gratitude to Jan along with an update on his status was ALL that this thread was about. No further advice was required. You don't comprehend that either.

Who has reading comprehension issues? Certainly not me!

Silver Member

Post Number: 286
Thorens turntables are mechanically simple, precise, and durable. Certainly the Linn turntables, which costs a lot more, were not significantly better. What I don't understand is why they are selling for so much more than a few years ago. When I sold my TD-125 Mk II in 1988, with a Magnepan unipivot tone arm on it, I got only about $250 for it, from a dealer.

If you come across an old Thorens, it might need just a new belt to be back in like-new condition.

If I were going to buy a turntable, I would try to find a Thorens TD-126. But I have no plans to get a turntable ever again.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2217
$250 from a dealer in 1988? Not a bad deal if you ask me. Also, you are talking about 25 years ago which is more than just a few years to most of us, even the very old. You have to apply dollar cost averaging to the equation. Otherwise, it's a matter of supply and demand which is probably attributed to, but not limited to the fact that the Thorens TT in all likelihood, last a heck of a lot longer than anyone expected it to. Think about it this way. If there was no such thing as inflation and you bought a $400 CD player today that had just been introduced, a year from now, you'd be blessed and highly favored to get $50 for it even with nothing wrong with it. However, if the majority of particular model turned to last 30+ years without issue, you might very well be able to fetch thousands for it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 287
The Magnepan arm alone cost $300. Try to find one. And it was only about nine years old.

http://www.saturdayaudio.com/picturepages/rega_planar3_magnepan_3.jpg

Yes, the Thorens turntables are extremely durable, but they should not be worth so much compared to new ones. The old ones aren't better than the new ones, so far as I know. That's why I don't understand the prices. A TD125 isn't better than a new Thorens mid-range table.

Silver Member

Post Number: 288
The range of prices is quite wide. I had thought that they were going for more than $1000 to start with. I was mistaken.

http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?LH_TitleDesc=1|1&LH_Sold=1&_fln=1&_from=R40&_saca t=0&LH_Complete=1&_dmd=1&_nkw=td-125+thorens&LH_PrefLoc=2&_sop=16

The lower price range of these is about right ($250-500 depending on presence of arm and arm type).

Gold Member

Post Number: 2218
Even so, if you buy gear and sell it later, you will probably be dissappointed most of the time. Personally, I feel that if a piece of audio gear that sold for $400 ought to fetch at least $300 if it's a year old, working perfectly and still relevent, but life isn't fair. What you got for your TT doesn't seem fair to me, but it's probably about the best you could've done at that time. If only you'd known what kind of $ you could've sold it for now...

Silver Member

Post Number: 289
What could one get for such a setup these days? The Magnepan arm is no longer made.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2219
It all depends on what the market will bear. The 1st thing to understand is that money and what we buy with it don't have any real value, only perceived value. With that, if a Thorens TT with a Magnepan tone arm is an in demand set up, you could get a lot of coin for it. If not, you might be very disheartened. One never knows.

Silver Member

Post Number: 290
Well, what would it sell for nowadays?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2220
Number 1, I am not professional appraiser. Sorry if you thought I was. It all depends on how popular that particular combo is right now. You might want to look on Ebay and see if any of the Thorens TTs come with Magnapan tone arms and if so, what folks are willing to pay for such a set up.

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 16755
Thorens still low end stuff like Sony and Yamaha!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 291
I don't think so....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts