Nakamichi Ca7a pre

Bronze Member
Username: Vermontster

Vermont

Post Number: 15
My friend has a Nak Ca7a preamp that is in need of repair. There is a shop in CT that gave him an estimate of 400 - 700 USD. Would it be worth it to have it repaired?

also:
My friend has about 2000USD he could spend. Could you recommend another preamp(new or old) if getting the Nak fixed isn't worth it?

Thank you for your time

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17565

The Nakamichi pre amp is almost thirty years old. Audio has moved on from the point in time where the Nakamichi was even a remote contender. Unless there is an emotional connection to the CA7, it is not financially wise to proceed with repairs. Repairing one fault in a thirty year old component might only serve to uncover more weak points waiting to occur in a thirty year old component. Those items which are waiting to go "kaflooey" can't be repaired until they actually go "kaflooey". Then your friend will have sunk money into a product which could easily become a money pit and still leave nothing more than a 1980's Chrysler K-car value.

The alternative approach, if your friend wants to keep the CA7, would be to have it completely rebuilt from stem to stern by a highly qualified technician willing to take responsibility for the end results. The CA7 could emerge as a better component than its original construction would have allowed. This approach, however, means the original design of the CA7 will still dictate its essential quality of sound. Not modifying the CA7's design leaves it still quite a ways behind the better components of today - or even the last twenty years for that matter. Modifying the CA7 puts your friend in the position of paying for an unknown end result. Neither, IMO, is a very enviable choice to make.

Given the amount of information you have provided and the vast number of available options in pre amps which could be had for less than $2k USD, there's no way to answer your latter question. The first question I would ask is, does your friend want a more or less similar overall character to match the CA7? Or, does your friend want a change in musical character? The answer to that question would minimize the number of available options.

I would characterize the Nakamichi as rather technically "right" - for its time - but lacking in essential musical values. It is cool and somewhat sterile as opposed to being warm and emotionally involving. Mating a warm and emotionally inviting pre amp with the same power amp which paired well with the CA7 might be too much of a discordant jump in values. The best advice, of course, is to have our friend do some new equipment auditions to determine just what the Nakamichi represents against today's equipment.

Bronze Member
Username: Vermontster

Vermont

Post Number: 16
Thank you Jan,
I was hoping you would reply. You make some excellent points.
My friend has asked for my help to guide him with upgrading his system. It's nice to have you in my corner.

Username: Ornello

Post Number: 10
It might be relevant to know what other equipment is being used with this pre-amp.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17585

Why would that matter? The pre amp has, according to the op, been looked at by a tech who gave a diagnosis of a failed pre amp. What would knowing the associated equipment accomplish?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
It seems to be obvious. Do you really need an explanation for such a simple question?

The question was not directed to you, in any case.

And I shall report you to the moderators for your insufferable attitude.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17587

"Do you really need an explanation for such a simple question?"

Uh, two things. 1) Your sentence was not a question. 2) I wouldn't have asked my question if I wasn't interested in an answer.

What's your problem? You've insulted me on more than one occasion in your dozen short posts here. You have a really difficult time keeping track of what has been said. You think everything is a criticism of your speakers. And you think everyone is interested in your opinion of your speakers. You're beginning to sound more and more like a troll.

It's far easier to get along on this forum than to break in here thinking you're going to impress anyone. It's been tried before. Those folks aren't around now. It's even more difficult to do what you're trying to accomplish when you get so many facts wrong. You're 63 years old, why not act like it? Instead of acting like a kid with a bad attitude. Your mother must have taught you some manners yet everything you've posted has be confrontational. Are you in the habit of going into someone's house and kicking their dog?

You want to report me? Be my guest. The mod's name is Admin. Knock yourself out.

"Given the amount of information you have provided and the vast number of available options in pre amps which could be had for less than $2k USD, there's no way to answer your latter question."

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
I simply addressed the one who asked, NOT YOU, what other equipment was involved. This was a perfectly reasonable question, and your intrusion was neither justified nor welcome. If the other equipment is of comparable age and quality, it is pointless to upgrade the pre-amp as the upgrade will not make any difference.

If the poster does not have a phonograph, there is little reason to have a traditional pe-amp at all. That's why I asked the question.

This is so obvious, and such a natural question, that your comment seems to indicate that you are simply looking for a fight. You picked the wrong guy if that's the case. Expect to be removed from this forum, and soon!

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17588

It's a public forum, not your private forum. People are allowed to ask questions and post comments to stimulate discussion. That's how a forum operates. People contribute ideas. Those people who insult others an threaten others are not being productive. No one is looking for a fight. If you'd simply stated a reason for the question, you wouldn't have had any need to be such an @ss.

You're 63, stop acting like a child. You're on a public forum, respect others.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
The same goes treble for you. My question was perfectly reasonable. There was no reason for you to comment about it. It should be obvious that the other equipment being used is quite relevant in a discussion of this sort. If the other equipment is likewise old and (perhaps) obsolescent, there would be little point in investing in an expensive new pre-amp, unless it were to be the first stage of a completely new system.

You seem to be looking for a fight, and I won't out up with this kind of behaviour. Again, I was NOT addressing you. It is a simple, logical question that should not prompt any kind of remark as you made. Grow up.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17600

Goodbye, Ornello. You're a sad old man who has nothing better to do that this.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
1) Everything you know is wrong.

2) Everything you think is wrong.

3) Before you were even conceived, you were wrong

So, do us all a favour and get off this forum. You have nothing to contribute but falsehoods and myths.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us