Marantz sr7300

SAL
What about the marant 7300 how does this receiver compare to the NAD, once again not to beat a dead horse but just trying to explore my options. I am very nervous about buying the 762 without a dealer in my town. So I am trying to find something comparable without going to the bigboxes (CC,Bestbuy).

elitefan
IMO the best other options are the Marantz7300 or new 7400, Elite 45 or new 53 or 55, H/K 525 or new 630 or 7200[ which is on sale for under $1100 at various sites] and Rotel 1055 or 1065 [if you can afford it]. In the middle priced receiver market these are the cream of the crop especially in terms of power reserves, build quality and value for the money. I would like to know what speakers you own or if you are considering new speakers also.

SAL
Klipsch or B&W speakers. I have the Klipsch, but after hearing the B&W I will probally return the Klipsch. The B&W paired with the Marantz had a very smooth and clean sound.

SAL
what up out there no comments on marantz and b&w speakers?

SAL
what up out there no comments on marantz and b&w speakers?

SAL
it is very odd on this discussion board that if certain name brands are not mentioned that no comments are made. I.e. marantz, integra.

AdamT
Try a search. There are tons of posts about the Marantz receivers.

Anthony
I spent days at separate dealers auditioning the NAD 742/752/762/C370 with Dynaudio Audience 42/52 vs Marantz 7300/7300ose with B&W DM60x S3 & N805. I also found a dealer with both 752 & 7300ose hooked up to Kef Q series.

A NAD 762 + Dynaudio 42/42C/42W would be my #1 pick but the dealer wanted way too much. With 14.5% taxes it was C$4,800 or ~US$3,600. And that's before cables & interconnects.

I end up ordering a 7300ose to go with B&W 600 Series. The N805 is out of my budget. This dealer gave me a good package deal, and once they have everything in stock, I will hook the 7300ose up at the store & then decide if I want 4x601 + LCR60 or 2x603 + 2x601 + LCR600.

I have tested a regular 7300 with the above B&Ws before. They matched quite well to me. I wasn't able to pair the NADs with B&W, but with a KEF Q5 (another British sound), the NAD 752 was slightly cleaner than a 7300ose, but the difference is minor. And both matched well with the KEF.

Unless I have both NAD & Marantz at my home & am flipping between the 2 receivers everyday, I probably won't remember how much better the NAD is. It's kinda like comparing the picture quality of 2 TVs side by side at a store, and found one to be a bit sharper.

Hope this helps.

Anthony
I spent days at separate dealers auditioning the NAD 742/752/762/C370 with Dynaudio Audience 42/52 vs Marantz 7300/7300ose with B&W DM60x S3 & N805. I also found a dealer with both 752 & 7300ose hooked up to Kef Q series.

A NAD 762 + Dynaudio 42/42C/42W would be my #1 pick but the dealer wanted way too much. With 14.5% taxes it was C$4,800 or ~US$3,600. And that's before cables & interconnects.

I end up ordering a 7300ose to go with B&W 600 Series. The N805 is out of my budget. This dealer gave me a good package deal, and once they have everything in stock, I will hook the 7300ose up at the store & then decide if I want 4x601 + LCR60 or 2x603 + 2x601 + LCR600.

I have tested a regular 7300 with the above B&Ws before. They matched quite well to me. I wasn't able to pair the NADs with B&W, but with a KEF Q5 (another British sound), the NAD 752 was slightly cleaner than a 7300ose, but the difference is minor. And both matched well with the KEF.

Unless I have both NAD & Marantz at my home & am flipping between the 2 receivers everyday, I probably won't remember how much better the NAD is. It's kinda like comparing the picture quality of 2 TVs side by side at a store, and found one to be a bit sharper.

Hope this helps.

Anthony
Pardon the double reply. I posted & didn't see my message after 4 minutes so I reposted.

I'll be more patient next time. :)

Kevin R
Anthony,

I'm just curious what difference did you notice in sound between the Marantz 7300 and 7300ose?

wigglyman
I too had narrowed my receiver search to the Marantz 7300 or 7300ose, and the NAD 762 to pair with my B&W 602 /601/LCR 600 set-up. My Marantz dealer didn't carry B&W so I was unable to hear that combo, but one listen to the NAD with the B&Ws sold me. Stereo mode is astonishing with power to spare. HT sounds great, but it seems to be a little short on power at higher volumes...surprising after all talk about NAD power.

I have had the Marantz SR7300 for 6 weeks now and I am very happy with this receiver. I use it with CSW Tower II's and it sounds great.

Anthony
Kevin, I did not directly compare a 7300 vs the 7300ose. You made me realize there was a typo in my earlier post. I mentioned the ose twice. It was 2am PST. :)

I've listened to 7300+B&W and 7300ose+KEF at separate dealers. Base on my impression, the sound difference will be noticable but the gap is not that wide. Either way you can't lose.

It's kinda like choosing between the base model of a car vs the full loaded version. The gold plated jacks, beefed up power supply, copper shielding, etc are cool, and since the dealer is only charging me an extra US$120 for the difference (package deal w/ speakers), it was a no-brainer. But say, would I pay US$200+ extra for it, probably not.

To me, everything has a fair market value. I already mentioned in another post that price is the biggest reason why I didn't pick a NAD. Seems like in USA the T762 & 7300ose is similarly priced around $850-900. But the local NAD dealer wanted US$250+ more.

Wiggleyman, glad you made your choices. The LCR600 is a monster isn't it? I liked the 602 as well, but for my taste, on certain types of music, the bass from its 7" cone clouds the high end a bit too much.

alain
recently returned a marantz 7300 ose as i found i it a bit too laid back for my dynaudios (and my taste). no problems though with the receiver and i'd say this is one fine receiver. had it for 2 weeks.

Minor qualms i just found:
Remote:
small buttons
black buttons on black background
no backlighting
unresponsive up,down,left,right keys (learnt commands from other remotes)

Receiver:
Noise past the 0 level volume setting. This is minor as you seldom listen this loud anyway.

i replaced it with a NAD T752 + T532 DVD player (both for the price of the marantz). first NAD had a defective left surround channel. was replaced with another one and all i can say is i'm enjoying it to the fullest. more forward sounding, powerful, and clean. remote is backlit, bigger buttons. surround, center, and sub can be controlled directly through their buttons on the remote. late nite has 4 settings too (the marantz had only 1)

;) alain

Anthony
Alain I forgot you have Dyns. You're right I probably wouldn't drive them with a Marantz either. Like I said many times before, I love the NAD/Dynaudio match *alot*. But obviously not enough to fork out US$800-1k more than USA prices just because I live "up north". :)

I know from other forums that the 7300ose would drive 4 ohm speakers, although the specs in the user manual only showed 6x110W @ 8 ohm & 6x130W @ 6 ohm. So no problem there.

I'm curious beside the laid back issue, did the 7300ose have enough power to drive the Dyns? Did it ever sounded stressed at 5.1 or 6.1? From your experience (you've switched from 762 to 7300ose and back to 752) where would you say the Marantz is, compared to NAD's honest true power rating at 5x80 & 6x100?

alain
anthony and others,

i guess i just found the 7300 ose a bit thin driving my dynaudios. them being 4 ohms speakers.

yeah ive switched from the 762 to marantz but only because of the skipping issue. when i sent back the marantz, NAD was still on my mind and there was a good deal on the T752 + T532 dvd player (both for the price of the marantz). i'd just use the analog outs from the T532 to get away from the skipping problem. the T752 anyway handles 4 ohm speakers with no problem and i found them bigger sounding that the marantz.

i'd like to say that these 2 receivers are very fine receivers and you can never go wrong with either of them. they do sound different from each other (i had both for a full 2 weeks each) and many can attest to that.

again, to whoever is deciding between the two, let your ears (and brain) decide for you.

:D alain
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us