Xl-dk257

Username: Petraul

Adelphi, MARYLAND United States

Post Number: 1
I have a Sharp Xl-dk257 that I have connected to my Samsung 6000 series LED via 1/8" aux cable. The sound is great, except that I noticed a loud buzzing sound during certain parts of my Avengers blu ray movie. It happens even at low volume. It sounds as if the movie is either overloading the preamp at times or it is sending it frequencies it can't handle. It is not a low level hum, but a loud higher frequency buzzing sound. It doesn't happen on just my TV speakers. I've changed the aux cable, but still have the same problem. Any suggestions? If I crank the volume I don't get any distortion and I can barely hear the buzzing.

Gold Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 2043
It only happens on Avengers? It might be something about how the audio was recorded on this particular movie. However, using a headphone connection can be problematic in this application. I am guessing that a Sharp Xi-dk257 is portable blu-ray player, correct? If so, you might just want to get a home blu-ray player. They can be had for under $100 if you don't mind buying one from Wal-Mart.

Post Number: 2
Hi superjazzy. Thanks so much for the info. The Sharp XL is actually a stereo (reviews.cnet.com/audio-shelf-systems/sharp-xl-dk257/4505-6721_7-33192390.html) that has a line level input. The aux output of my TV is also an 1/8" connection. I'm using a high quality 3ft scoshe cable with gold connectors. But yes, it only happens during the avengers right now. I am going to watch some other intense movies and see if it happens again. Any other ideas?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2045
So, your TV doesn't have RCA outputs? Can you connect the audio out of you blu-ray player directly to your shelf system? This might help.

If I now understand you correctly, you have a blu-ray play connected to your TV and your TV audio out connect to your shelf system. Correct? If you can swing it, you may want upgrade to a HT receiver & speakers. Just a thought.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2051
I was going to borrow "The Avengers" from my sons today and see if I heard a buzz. My sons are in their 20s, live at home and have every movie known to man EXCEPT "The Avengers"!

Post Number: 3
Ha. Thanks for trying, but it does it on others now. It happens when there is major sub bass. It sounds as if there is a short in the cable or a loose connection (like if i had my hand on the connection and was moving it around) but it is brand new. I'm wondering if it is just too much signal for my small stereo.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2052
You're very welcome Petraul.

"It happens when there is major sub bass. It sounds as if there is a short in the cable or a loose connection (like if i had my hand on the connection and was moving it around) but it is brand new. I'm wondering if it is just too much signal for my small stereo."

That is one of the problems with shelf systems. Unfortunately, they are not designed for serious bass performance. I suffered with one for 7 years. I couldn't get much info your model. I did however, find a similar Sharp unit with a frequency range of 100 Hz to 20 KHz. The lowest 1 1/4 octave or the spectrum is removed! It doesn't seem that Sharp had movie sound in mind with this unit. Sorry to say.

I know that you like all of us have to operate within your budget, but is there any chance you can get a home theater receiver or stereo receiver if you can live without the surround? I must advise you NOT to use your 4 ohm sharp speakers with it though. 6 to 8 ohm speakers would be best with such a unit.

Let me know what you end up doing, okay?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2053
http://www.insigniaproducts.com/products/home-audio-systems/NS-R2001.html

Here is a link to one paticular stereo unit.

Post Number: 4
Thanks. The stereo I have has a subwoofer out, so I think I'm going to just buy an active subwoofer and pray it has some type of crossover when connected. I just bought a pioneer for $80 at newegg.com. I will let you know how it works out.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us