Is equalizer neccessary in system with power amp and pre-amp available?

BXT
I'm running my system with a pair of power amp and preamp. The pre-amp is designed with 5.1 system and also with bypass function. Actually I prefer listening in stereo through bypass channel and sometimes through other effects such as stadium, hall,... My question is it neccessary to put a equalizer into the existing system to improve sound quality? I personnally think it is not. How do you think about this?

Thank you

G-Man
It isn't necessary. And good parametric equalizers are expensive. The non-parametric equalizers aren't as effective, but are much cheaper in general. Equalizers are useful in balancing all your frequencies in your listening room--but most people don't use them.

Even people with ultra high end systems often hire someone that brings one over to balance out their system, rather than buy and own one.

You can always get a $35 SPL Meter from Radio Shack to balance the volumes of the speakers from where you sit.

Black Math
Unless you spend money on something like Audio Control or Tact Unit, an equalizer will probably degrade your sound more than it will help. More manufacturers used to make them when it was the hot fad in hi-fi. Tone controls and speaker placement can cure a lot of system problems. I'd mess with that, if possible.

Jerry
I use an EQ on my system and prefer it very much. I know most people don't and even when I went to purchase it the sales people tried to talk me out of it. Since my preamp has no monitor loop, I must go preamp-EQ-amp. This means that any noise generated by the EQ is dumped right into the amp with no attenuation as it would be with a monitor loop. I had to try several EQs before landing on the Yamaha EQ 550. It cost $400. and I didn't want to spend that much but it was the ONLY one I tried that had no audible white noise (hiss) back ground generated within it. Even the cheaper Yamaha EQ 70 hissed. I recommend it as it does nothing to alter the character of the sound that I can tell, and I LOVE music and am very critical of the quality. It has a pink noise generator and comes with a mic so you can even out the octaves with each other if you wish. If you're able to forego the purist notion and use an EQ, it is an easier alternative than is trying to adjust an entire living room around and speaker adjustment to make it work, especially with the mrs. being involved.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us