New project......need help

Username: Mythos05

Post Number: 1
I recently bought a Balfour RCD-4 record changer that's been mint in the box since it left the company in the mid 60's. It's meant to be installed into a cabinet console but I'm trying to convert it to a portable unit. The problem is, I'm not sure what the console would have provided it that I now need to provide. I've heard something about a preamp, but i'm not sure what all that does. Basically I could use any advice from those who know what they're doing. Appreciate it!

Upload

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17339

Does the tonearm have a phono cartridge installed? If so, can you tell what type of cartidge is installed?

Post Number: 2
It did not come with a cartridge but I tracked down a supplier who carries the right one for $35.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17340

OK, what cartridge is that? Is it a ceramic or a magnetic cartridge?

Post Number: 3
I was told it is an AT3400. I've tried looking it up on several sites and can't find any info as to what it's construction is.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17345

Then you have a problem. A magnetic cartridge requires a step up phono pre ampliifer while a ceramic cartridge only requires a circuit to provide RIAA equalization. The type of table you have could use either. Does the cartridge have a flip over stylus? The type that plays 33 with the stylus in one position and 45/78 in the other?

Where did you buy the cartridge? Can't they be of some assistance?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17346

Why don't you try contacting this site; http://www.turntableneedles.com/Ceramic-Cartridges_c_24185.html

Gold Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 2012
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help