Sunfire True Subwoofer EQ 10 - TS-EQ10

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 9829
I just picked one up in mint condition yesterday for $600, are you guys envious? Although the seller won't see this I'm pretty appreciative.

Gold Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 1828
Envious? Not exactly. I've heard mixed reviews on Sunfire subs and there are a few threads in here about them needing repairs. If yours works well and you're happy with it, that's all that matters. Enjoy.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina America

Post Number: 14743
I have a true Mk II that I absolutely love. I bought it for about $150 not working. I re-capped the plate amplifier (not a big deal. cheap fix) and now it works flawlessly.

These subs are tiny, and amazingly powerful.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 9831
James, go on Amazon and Newegg right now and find one product that doesn't have mixed reviews. Hell, the guy I purchased it from sold it because he had no clue how to tune his system period, he told me that he just wanted something he could plug in and use without tweaking anything -_- Also, anything will need repairs if abused. I've heard stories from people plenty of times "I didn't have it that loud for that long...", "I don't know why it blew..." yada, yada, yada. Most of the time it's the user at fault and not exactly the equipment when it comes to audio or at least that's what I believe.

GW, that's an awesome deal!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14764
true, and a subwoofer is extremely sensitive to placement and room acoustics as well. The only recurring issue I've seen with the Sunfire subs, is a 60Hz hum that some get from a ground loop issue, which the owner's manual directly addresses anyway. It's also simple enough of a problem to correct with a Hum-X module, or just using a different outlet/circuit for your sub versus your AV gear. Anyway, I love the Sunfire. The only subs I'd probably use in it's place are the SVS "PB** Ultra" series or a Krell Reference Master sub (not that I could afford one, even broken.)
I'm using my Sunfire right now in a 16x16' (give or take) bedroom now, and had it in a 16x20' livingroom. The sub is almost too much. I have the volume on the unit turned a hair above minimum, and the AV receiver still had it set at something like -13dB to quiet it down to match the rest of the system using Audyssey. Turned up a bit, that sub will move itself right across the floor at moderate volumes. I'm actually giving some thought to drilling the bottom panel of mine to put in floor spikes to anchor the sub to the floor to keep it still.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1844
"James, go on Amazon and Newegg right now and find one product that doesn't have mixed reviews."

Let me be more clear. I've heard more bad reviews than good on Sunfire subs. Bob Carver has some good ideas, but he goes to extremes.

"The sub is almost too much."

Exacty!
"I'm actually giving some thought to drilling the bottom panel of mine to put in floor spikes to anchor the sub to the floor to keep it still."

Yeah! Nail that sucker down!

If you guys like your subs, enjoy by all means.

As for failure of audio gear, yes, abuse will ruin anything, but there is a host of reasons why equipment fails that have nohing to do with abuse.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14766
I can tell you from experience, that the sunfire subs I've seen fail are mostly just due to age and electrolytic capacitor failures, which are a simple and easy fix if you have any skills at soldering, and access to an ESR meter. That said, I've had to re-cap a lot of speaker crossovers for the same reason, restoring 20 year old, high end speakers to their former glory with about a buck and a half in parts.
The trick to remember with subs, is that one size doesn't fit all applications. You need to find the sub that fits the room and setup with which you plan to pair the driver. I have a few other subs in the 8" to 12" range and they are all good subs, for their applications. As for being envious of the Sunfire for $600, I'd have to say the going used price for most Sunfire subs seems to be in that range, so it's a fair price, but not a "steal" in my opinion. Good sub though, if it works for you. I wasn't disappointed with mine, anyway.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1852
One thing I do like about Sunfire subs is that they're small and out of the way.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2826
Carver is always messing with Physics.
A large box sub can be highly sensitive, and have good extension and output.
Carver went the OTHER way with a small box system of low sensitivity needing a large amp.

The small package size of the Sunfire has a certain.....appeal.

As for 'small and out of the way'......that wouldn't matter to me if out of the way was simply the wrong place for the sub. Though I do admit to the appeal of this idea.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1863
"The small package size of the Sunfire has a certain.....appeal."

That's what appeals to me.

As for 'small and out of the way'......that wouldn't matter to me if out of the way was simply the wrong place for the sub. Though I do admit to the appeal of this idea."

Basically, the smaller the cabinet, the easier to find the right place fo the sub. Especially in a small room.

"Carver went the OTHER way with a small box system of low sensitivity needing a large amp."

To each his own of course. Personally, I prefer lower wattage and higher sensitivity. The Mirage Omni S8 is very small like the Sunfire with a 100 watt amp and IMO sounds better than the Sunfire for only $369 brand new!

Again, as long as everyone is happy with his system, that's what counts.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14769
I don't really care about sensitivity to an extent, as power can always compensate for a lack in that department. Sensitivity was more of a factor 20 years ago, when we didn't have readily abundant, cheap class D amplifiers. What I do care about, is the BL curve of the driver being used., and the order, or type of cabinet being used, abd how little it resonates, or how well it's damped. Those make a much bigger difference in the performance of the total package.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1867
When I first entered this forum GW, I didn't see any posts from you. I am so glad you came back. You always manage to point out factors that most of us don't think of. Thanks for returning.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us