Analog in - HDMI out?

Username: Tommulhern

Evanston, IL United States

Post Number: 1
I have the following situation:

IN
Cable Outlet > CoAxial Cable > Motorola DCH70 Cable Box
DCH70 Cable Box > Standard Video/Audio (red/white/yellow) > Sony STRDH510 Receiver
DVD Player > Composite Video + Standard Video > Sony STRDH510 Receiver

OUT
STRDH510 > HDMI > Epson Video Projector
STRDH510 > Audio Wiring > Speakers

The stuff going in is NOT coming out. The best I get is an audio distortion sound when the input is switched to SAT/CATV on the Sony Receiver.

I have an Apple TV that connects to the same Sony Reciver by HDMI and both audio and video come out of it.

Can anyone help save me from my ignorance?

Thank you.}

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2789
Out to In, right?

Are both composite AND 'the yellow' cable connected thru the same input?

IF the Sony will support more than one HDMI, you might consider upgrading the cable box to an HDMI output unit. If the Sony only supports a single in/out of HDMI, perhaps an input switcher?

Disconnect either the cable OR DVD player and see if you can get one to play......than add the other and keep track of the menu options.

Username: Tommulhern

Evanston, IL United States

Post Number: 2
Thanks. Out to In..yes. All cables are where they should be per the instructions. I think I'll take your advice and upgrade the cable box and probably the dvd player too. There are three HDMI ins on the receiver. Wish it were possible for it to accept the analog inputs...still seems strange that it can't. maybe it's broken.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2791
I'm not a HT guy. But, that being said, I know that HT receivers have a detailed setup menu. That's where I'd start.

My setup? TV has 3 HDMI inputs, all in use. Cable Box......DVD player and a PS3.
All the sound eventually goes thru the stereo....not HT equipment. I make as much use of the optical outputs as possible, thru an external DAC.

Upgrading the TV box to one with HDMI out should be a near no-brainer and should sound better, too. I use the only OK XM or Sirius feeds a lot. They apparently output at 32k and are fairly compressed.

Try the menu approach, right after your cable provider coughs up a new generation box....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us