Rega Apollo CD Repair

Silver Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 746
Hi again.
I have stacked up 3 bad cd players to be repaired, none under warranty. I called my Rega dealer in Seattle and he said that I need to send the Apollo to Portland, OR, to a branch of The Sound Organization. Their website does not tell where the Rega service center is. I also wrote to Art's friends in Eugene and am waiting to hear back from them.
Is the Sound Organization my only choice? Are there other better places to get service?
My NAD C515BEE is also dead. Like the Apollo, it reads 'no disc'. It started skipping within months of buying it used on Agon.
At least we have a Rotel serviceman here in the sticks. That player is also down. Unfortunately, he won't work on the other brands.
Am I having unusually bad luck or are these machines not durable?

I have been rebuilding a house and have not had time keep up with any other interests for 1.5 yrs now. Lucky I have a Cambridge Soundworks table CD, radio that I use for music while working. Good enough for competing with power tools.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17271

"No Disc" is usually a sign of a failed transport. No stats but I would say that's probably the most common failure in digital players using a hard disc drive. Most of us have been through it and we have our share of dead CD players to show for it. Transports are temporary things with manufacturers swapping transports for their new models at a speedy tempo. Even more so since the number of available CD transports for a high end player has now dwindled down to a handful as DVD/BluRay transports are the bulk of what's being manufactured today. By the time the transport fails, there are seldom replacements available so the player is ditched in favor of a new machine. It's why I finally said no CD player over "X" dollars when I got tired of tossing hundreds of dollars into the recycle bin. Woe to the person who still has a S-VHS player as they are as dead as the dodo. My LaserDisc player sits unused, sneering at me whenever I walk by the back closet where it has stayed for the last 12 years - "Gotcha!" it screams as I wonder what other use I could have had for that serious amount of cash.

I would certainly begin with Sound Organization for the Rega. Better to have them recommend a repair center than to trust Joe Schmoe.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 748
Thank you sincerely for the thorough response.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 749
The Sound Organization says that since it is out of warranty they recommend I send it to:
Mr. Nick Gowan
True Sound
136 Kennedy Avenue
Campbell, CA 95008-4115
408-370-7578
gowan@tsound.com

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 750
OK, my retailer in Seattle recommends the same so off it goes. Hope the repair cost is reasonable.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15806
Sorry about the troubles, Kevin.

I'm staying from this site most of the time as it cause all kinds of weird stuff on my computer and it's just plain slow...

Sounds like you got the right folks. I've had more CD players go bad in the last year than I have fingers to count them and yet the old Rotel is still going. I'll play them as long as I can and when they go bad I'll get them fixed if the parts are available.

Join us over at AK's "Modern Day HiFi" Forum and check the fabulous Jazz playlist over there.

Peace out!

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 751
Thanks Art. I mailed it to True Sound today, only $20 USPS + insurance. My rotel is in the local repair shop. I have been crazy busy re- building an old house that was rented out for 18yrs. Needed serious energy retrofit, re wire, re plumb, re heat, new roof, new floors, new kitchen. I waited till I retired to have time for this job.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 755
Nick Gowan fixed the Apollo fast. I am waiting for it's return now. The problem was it "needed a new mechanism, cable and main integrated circuit. 235 + shipping, ins." Great service if the repair is good.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15813
Awesome! Hope it's good as new.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 756
Thanks Art.
I guess you really like the Rega R gear?

I see someone is selling a Brio R already for $300 off the new price. It is hard not to get sidetracked when one sees good deals.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15815
I also have a used Apollo (non R) that I bought recently. Great player.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 757
I am happy with the old Apollo.
I read the reviews and they say that the Apollo R is significantly improved. I will keep both my non-R Apollo players until I really need a new one, and put the R on the wish list for the future.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 770
A year later the Apollo still working fine. Good work Nick.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us