Anyone familiar with the NAD L70?

ss newbie
Hi all,
I am looking to create a modest home theater setup for around $1000. I am intrigued by the NAD L70 and was wondering if any of you were familiar with it. I was thinking of pairing it with the Fluance STX-HTB or AR HC6. Any other recommendations? The setup will be used 60% for music and 40% for movies. To start, I am looking for a receiver, dvd, and speakers. The room I am setting up will be approximately 12x12 but opens to the back into a larger room. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

Hawk
ss newbie:

I am very familiar with the NAD L70 and I have been impressed with it, so long as you get a good price. It looks like a great fit for the room you have and is still powerful enough to grow with you when you have a larger room. However, the sound quality of the NAD is much better than the two speaker systems you listed. Let me suggest a couple of alternatives.

Now my favorite system was the One Call HT System, which was five NHT SuperZeros with a Phase Tech Power 8 sub, but they aren't offering it anymore as they ran out of the subs. You can still get the superZeros, however, for $75 each from One Call (www.onecall.com). Small, but the sound is excellent.

However, I also like a system from Mordant Short (a very fine British company), called the MS300 system. Four satellites and a matched center speaker. See it here for $349:

http://accessories4less.com/Amazing/itemdesc.asp?CartId=11105993TA-EVEREST-KTI66&ic=MORD%2DMS300%2FLC&cc=&tpc=

Now, you will need a subwwofer, and the matching sub is also available for a very good price of $120 from the same vendor:

http://accessories4less.com/Amazing/itemdesc.asp?CartId=11105993TA-EVEREST-KTI66&ic=MORD%2DMS308W%2FGP&cc=&tpc=

So, there you have a good speaker system for under $500 and I know they NAD L70 can be had for $499, so that keeps you within your budget of $1K.

Good luck!

Markus C.
newbie:

A friend of my bought a NAD L70 for a couple of months ago. He thinks it fullfil his purposes, which by the way seems to be quite the same as yours.

He pointed out one problem, though. The disc(dvd, cd etc.)player mechanics has been almost worn out, even though he has only used it for about three months.

He, my friend that is, has contacted NAD so I guess the "problem" will be fixed. As long as you have a warrant, this should not stop you from buying the product. Just wanted to share "my" experiences.

ss newbie
Hawk and Markus,
Thanks for the replies. Hawk, DCM has refurbished L70s for $499 as you stated. How would this unit compare to the NAD T742 and a separate DVD? I read the Home & Theater Sound review and he rated the video as average. One other question, what is your opinion of the OneCall Wharfedale package with the Phase Technology Power 8 sub http://ww2.onecall.com/SPL_769.htm ?

Hawk
ss newbie:

I have the Power 8 sub and I think it is a superb subwoofer for the price (I got one for under $190). I don't know anything about those Wharfdale speakers, however. My only concern is that they may be too large for your room.

As for the 742, there is no finer receiver for less than $500. You can get the 742 with an NAD T512 DVD player for $598 from Saturday Audio and the 742 will provide you with much greater flexibility and slightly more power. It is a great package at that price.

ss newbie
Hawk,
Thanks again. I was reading a review of the Mourdant-Shorts and they mention that they are 4 ohm speakers. The MS site rates the nominal impedance as 4-8 ohms. Would there be any concern matching these speakers to either the L70 or the 742? I saw in another thread that NAD does not recommend using 4 ohm speakers with the 742. Is this cause for concern?

ss newbie
Hawk,
I understated my room dimensions a bit. It might be as big as 14dx16w. Would you still recommend the MS300s for this size room? Also, FYI Accessories4less has put a package together of the MS300 and the MS308 with 50ft of 16ga wire and some plugs for 449.99 (about 20 bucks less than buying them separately + the cost of the wire and ends). Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Hawk
ss newbie:

I don't think you will have any problem with the MS speakers. Mordaunt Short is somewhat funny about their rating of the speaker impedence--all of their speakers are rated 4-8 ohms. Yet, I also understand it. Impedence is not a constant and it varies by frequency. An 8 ohm rated speaker can have its impedence plotted and it will range anywhere from 4 ohms to 24 ohms. The 8 ohm rating is merely an average. Now, speaker manufacturers can be really maddening as there is no real standard by which one rates a speaker's overall impedence. One manufacturer can rate its speaker as 4 ohm because the speaker has a 4 ohm minimum measurement, but another manufacturer can have a speaker with the same impedence curve and rate it as 8 ohms because the overall average would be in the neighborhoos of 8 ohms.

Mordaunt Short instead gives a range (I think Canton is doing this, as well). Many speaker manufacturers in Europe are now rating their speakers as 6 ohms and the MS satellites are basically a 6 ohm average speaker. I really think the NAD can handle them with no difficulty.

You have also told me your room may be larger than we originally thought, but I still don't know the volume. What is the height? I still think this system works, and the package you found looks pretty good. If you would be more comfortable, however, I have been made aware of a much better system, although it might mean you have to stretch your budget just a bit.

I have been apprised that Best Buy is selling the Athena Point 5 system, without a sub, for $399. The Athena satellites are a nice step up from anything mentioned here. You could still pair them with the MS sub from accessories4less.com and be just a hair above your budget. If you can stretch a bit more, get the PSB SubZero-i sub from DMC for $219 to go with the Athenas.

Good luck!

ss newbie
Hawk,
The ceiling height is about 8.5 feet. I can probably stretch the budget to $1500 if necessary. Given these changes, do you have any other speaker recommendations? BTW, I am leaning toward the 742 over the L70. Thanks!

Hawk
ss newbie:

I have re-read all of the posts to make sure that we have not strayed too far from your original vision. I thik we have made some progress, but I am not clear if you need a DVD/CD player or not, but I am going to assume that you do.

Here is what I suggest:

1. NAD 742 receiver with NAD 512 DVD/CD player from Saturday Audio (www.saturdayaudio.com) for $598.

2. A pair of NHT SuperOnes for your mains from One Call (www.onecall.com) for $275. I think these will make for much better music listening as you suggest this system will be 60% for music.

3. An NHT SuperCenter from One Call for $157.

4. A pair of NHT SuperZeroes from One Call for surrounds. Priced at $175/pair.

5. A PSB SubZero-i subwoofer from DMC Electronics (www.dmc-electronics.com) for $219.

I price this whole system at $1424.

ssnewbie
Hawk,
Thanks again. I didn't see you last post until today. I have also been looking at the Atlantic Technology T70 system ($599 at Accessories4less) and the MS 900 system ($800 at Accessories4less). I have listened to the PSB Image 2B and 1B as well though they will stretch my budget. I have also thought about the Hsu Research Ventriloquist system with an STF-2 sub ($249 for the Ventriloquist and $400 for the sub) as the people who have heard it say it is great. I also notice that Rocket has a setup called the ELT for $900 (again a bit of a stretch). Any thoughts? I can't seem to find local dealers with many of these setups so I may have to rely on the home trials and returns. I am particularly intrigued by the MS900 package but will look into the NHT setup you recommend. BTW I ordered the 742. Based on what I have heard in some listening rooms with the 752 and components, I believe I will enjoy this receiver.

ss newbie
Hawk,
I'm glad the rumors of your passing were false. As I said in my previous post, I ordered the 742 and I have hooked it up to my existing HT setup (Sherwood Newcastle R945, Infinity Ref One mains, Infinity V1(I think) center, Niles Audio in-walls, dbx passive sub driven with an audiometric amp) replacing the Sherwood and the overall sound is much clearer and cleaner. I am still looking for speakers and, when you can, please comment on the choices I describe in my previous post. After more research, I am also considering the Ascend CBM-170s (3 up front and maybe the HM200s in back). From other posts I notice you like the Ascends and I would like to hear (read) your thoughts comparing them to the other candidates. Thanks!

Hawk
ss newbie:

Nice to hear from you, too! Yes, I think you will be very pleased with the 742. Please be sure to let us know your thoughts when you get your speakers and everything is hooked up and working. I am glad you hear the difference that just the receiver makes.

You have really been doing the research! As I am only human, I am always overlooking a good choice and I think you have nailed one in the Ascend Acoustics CM-170s (with HTM 200s for the rear). That is a superb speaker for the money and if it fits your budget, I would order a pair to see how you like them. One of the neat things about these internet based companies is that you can audition the product for 30 days and return them if they aren't your taste. Get a stereo pair and see what you think. If you like them, you can always order the rest after they have met your approval.

I think the Ascends would be a much better choice than any of the mini satellite speakers like the MS 900s or the AT T70s. The laws of physics simply make it impossible for small 3.5" mid/woofers to provide the clarity and range of a larger 6.5" mid/woofer. Ultimately, the sound will be more satisfying, particularly for music. The only real reason to go with the smaller speakers is if your room cannot accomodate the larger bookshelf speakers. As the Ascends are only 12" high, they really aren't that much bigger, but the sound is.

Good luck!

ss newbie
Hawk,
As always, thanks for your consideration. This is the link for the Mordaunts
http://accessories4less.com/Amazing/customkititems.asp?CartId=14-EVEREST-561823PKIDE91&ic=MORD%2D903
As you can see, the fronts are the MS 904 which is a 2-way tower with a 1" Aluminum dome and a 5 1/4" Aluminum mid/woofer. The December Home Theater magazine gave a similar package (the MS902 bookshelves instead of the 904s and the 909 sub instead of the 907) a pretty good write up. I haven't heard any Mordaunts yet (there is one dealer in town but they are out of the 904s waiting for the new models). At this point I have actually listened to the PSB Image 2Bs, some Tannoy sensys 1, Paradigm Titans and mini monitors. Of these, I like the PSB Image 2Bs the best. I hope to also listen to some Athenas in the near future (maybe the AS-B1 and B2 and the AS-F1). In your opinion, are the NHTs still worth listening to? Thanks!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us