NAD 521 with older NAD 7140 receiver?

Jerry Azevedo
I have an NAD 7140, vintage 1990?, and I want to add a CD player. My thought is to go with the NAD 521BEE. Can anyone see any incompatibilities? Thanks.

Hawk
No, Jerry. It is an excellent choice!

Username: Edison

Post Number: 5
Look for the 521i (improved version). I would check out the NAD DVD player T-531 on sale for $199 (60%off) at:

https://dmc-electronics.com/Default.htm

Ask the guy about the difference between the two - he is honest and pleasant. I would think the $500 DVD player would be just as good - and plays good DVD too.

Anonymous

Highly recommend an MP3 capable DVD player. Much more flexible.

Username: John_a

Post Number: 59
You don't get hi-fi from MP3. It is for small files, portability, and convenience. The sound is thin, whatever you play it through.

I agree with James. In Jerry's place I would get a combined DVD-V/DVD-A/CD player. DVD-A gives two-channel stereo, with higher resolution than CD, so it will be an upgrade even just with a good stereo amp/receiver. It also keeps open the possibiliy of moving to surround sound.

Anonymous

High bitrate MP3s sound just fine on my NAD 7240PE. Not so good on higher calibre systems.

I wonder if this is a proof for "ignorance is a bliss".

Username: John_a

Post Number: 66
Thanks. You can probably do anything with high bit rate. I used the default settings and found MP3 seriously disappointing. "Ignorance is bliss" is not an audio motto: more usually, people imagine things that are not really there.

I tried MP3 on an iPod with a Mahler symphony, which is asking a lot, I admit. And not everyone's cup of tea.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us