Archive through January 22, 2012

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14975
Well, I've had 4 NAD C545BEE player bite the dust and must say farewell to them. I will miss their beautiful sound but am not going back for another disappointment relative to reliability.

Spearit Sound's customer service has been fabulous.

So now I must choose a new player by tomorrow at the same price as my C545BEE. I can have a 550C even up or pay $100 and get the 650C. I really don't want to spend the extra dough but I want to get performance that is comparable to what I was getting from the C545BEE. As with theC545BEE and the C565BEE are the 550C and 650C similar. Anyone heard them, Nick or David?

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4878
Hey Art,

I have the 650C and I'm quite happy with it. One thing to consider is that, the 650C has dual Wolfson DACs whereas (I believe) the 550C has only the single DAC. For whats it's worth, just a couple of weeks ago I put my 650C up against my Bryston BDA-1 in an A/B test, and the the 650C was left only slightly wanting.

Here's a brief write-up I did on the 650C if you are interested:

http://audioreview.ca/default.aspx?pagename=review&reviewID=19

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14978
Is it bright at all?

Wonder how the 550C compares.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4879
I have never found any of the CA stuff to be bright, and brightness is something I am really sensitive to.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4880
Am I really reading that you have had 4 C545BEE bite the dust?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14979
You are really reading that.

One was DOA and another had a faulty disc tray. The other 2 had transports that were so noisy that you could hear them over the music...I love the sound but enough is enough!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4881
Wow. No kidding.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14980
If the CA player (whichever I choose) sounds good then I am getting off the hifi thing for years and I mean years. Between Rega, NAD and the rest of them I'm just tired of the runaround. Ready to settle in. The amp and Harbeth speakers give me that piece of mind, now I just need a CD player to do the same.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4882
I know exactly what you mean Art.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Canada

Post Number: 3604
I only lived with the Cambridge DAC Art, and for the money it was very good. The 650C is far better than the DACMagic however. If it were me, I would muster to nab the 650C. Based one David's opinion and rave reviews in every magazine and website known to the Hi Fi world, the 650C is an amazing player at any price. I have heard a lot of Cambridge's budget stuff which has never been bright, and now listening to the 840aV2 amp in my system for the last few days their stuff is definitely not bright. Smooth, powerful and controlled. Airy top end, slightly recessed compared to the Naim, but much better bottom end control/grip and midrange detail and smoothness up the ying yang. Very well built as well. You would love the 650C IMO.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3605
Compared to the NAD sound, the CA is more neutral, with less bloom in the bottom end. Very tight punchy bass, and the tops do not roll off yet stay dead center and smooth. Very detailed. The NAD is a warmer sound. Might be an interesting combo.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14982
Just ordered a 550C and a 650C. I had the C545BEE in both my wife's setup and mine and so I ordered the 650C for mine and the 550C for hers. I talked to her first, of course. Should be here a week from tomorrow.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3606
Cool! Let us know how it matches up.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4883
Cool Art. Will be interested to hear your impressions of the 650.

One thing I really like now about having the 650C and 840A in the same setup is one remote for both CD and amp.

Booooyah.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2654
David,
Want to have a look at an 840c in black? presumabely good synergy and will mate up with your 840a which has balanced inputs?
It'll come with a pair of Mogami Studio Gold cables......6foot.

I use it mainly as a DAC.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4884
Are you looking to sell your 840C Leo?

I have the Bryston BDA-1 being fed by the 650C. Can't really see myself changing this setup anytime soon.

Thanks though!

Silver Member
Username: Unbridled_id

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 731
Art Cambridge is replacing the 650 with a 651 and the price is higher. Spearit sound has the 550 and 650 on sale right now.

As far as the 545 goes I understand where you are coming from. I owned one that had issues as well and attempted to get them addressed and it just didn't work out.
DMC worked with NAD and shipped me a new one, and so far so good.

I would suggest the 565 from DMC, but I do understand you being apprehensive and not wanting any other issues. For what it is worth I have not read about any number of folks having issues with the 565.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15020
Look at post #1, id. Spearit Sound is who I'm going through. I'm listening to one of the C545BEE's right now and have been for 2 days and without issue. But last weekend it made enough noise to drive me nuts (short drive perhaps...lol!). I just don't want to go back and forth so hopefully the CA units sound good because the C545BEE sure does. Both CA units arrive on Tuesday!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15021
Who's DMC?

Silver Member

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 732
https://dmc-electronics.com/Default.htm

Give them a call and they will give you a good deal on the NAD gear. Also a PSB dealer as well, I was contemplating getting a pair of Imagine B's from them.. B-stock are offered at really nice prices.

"Look at post #1, id. Spearit Sound is who I'm going through."

Sorry Art, I gleaned the whole thread..

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15023
PSB makes some very fine speakers!

About the only NAD piece I have any interest in at present is the C375BEE. It will be awhile before I buy a new amp as the little C326BEE is sounding excellent.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15028
The more I read about the CA 650C the more it sounds like it's missing my favorite part of the music, the midrange. Could be that I'll be without a source for my music altogether...that would not be good. Meanwhile the C545BEE sits here sounding beautiful...dagnabbed POS.

Gold Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 1152
You should give it a fair shot first, Art. I'm sure you will.

Why not look to entry level Simaudio if you do move on? I like the sound of my CD.5 better than the Rega players I had. Plus, zero issues (so far). Every command is reacted to quickly and accurately, a welcome change coming from the Rega camp. The only thing I'd change is the flimsy CD tray.

Not sure how it would partner with NAD. I like the CD.5 much more with livelier Exposure than I did when I tested it with the partnering Simaudio i-1 integrated.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4892
Where have you been reading that the 650C is missing the mid-range Art? I haven't seen that.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15030
Just about everywhere, Dave.

Just google it and follow the threads and inevitably you find that it seems to be the case in the final analysis.

If you have other reviews and anecdotal comments by listeners to post I would sure appreciate reading them.

Yeah, Dan, I'm kind of at a loss as to what to look at next if the CA can't hold me over for awhile.

I'm going to be comparing CD players from 4 manufacturers next week and then I'll head up to Vancouver and hear some top shelf stuff at Jeff's.

I'll be comparing the C545BEE, Rotel RCD971, Marantz CD5004, CA 650C and CA 550C.

I will not open one of the CA's if I find the other unfavorable as it will go back to Spearit and I'll keep one of fxxked up C545BEE's as it least it makes beautiful music...when you can hear it over the transport. What a load of ..oop!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15031
Oh and remember that I listen to more Jazz and Classical than anything and really need a Cello to sound like Cello and not a Viola (or worse yet a Violin)...lol!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4893
Well if it makes you feel any better, I put the 650C up against my 2k Bryston DAC and found the 650C only slightly wanting. Not bad really.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15032
Can you explain what that means? Just a little detail brotha!

Silver Member

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 733
"About the only NAD piece I have any interest in at present is the C375BEE."

Art I own the c375bee and am quite fond of it. The thing sounds great and is so flexible. I have it paired with NHT's
(1pr 3's 1pr zeros, and a b-10d sub)...

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15050
The C375BEE is a pretty special amp. Been on the phone with some folks today and I'm pretty sure that the Rega Brio-R will be my next amp.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3614
Have you heard it yet Art? I hope it is much better than the last go around of Rega Integrated amps. I read that their new stuff sounds much better to most who hear it.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15052
Well, just put my Marantz CD5004 up for sale.

Tomorrow I should take delivery of the 650C. Was talking to a Rega/Cambridge dealer today and he said that the the Cambridge 740c and the Apollo were almost identical sounding. He said that the 650C is a bit less refined on the top end.

I am putting together funds to move toward my last set of upgrades for quite sometime and so I was curious relative to his take on the Brio-R vs the 840A v2 and he stated that he would prefer the Brio-R and by no small margin. he likes the 840 and especially likes the fun technology that Cambridge uses but in the end believes that the Brio-R sounds better. I'll have my chance to find out this Friday. I figured for the going price the 840A and the 650C might make beautiful music together!

Silver Member

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 734
Art Marantz just came out with a cd 6004. Were you fond of the 5004 enough that you would seek out the 6004 ?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15055
Umm, no. The Marantz players are not my cup. Well built and objectively sound good but not what I want to hear.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3615
Interesting Art. Let us know what you think.

If you could, ask your friend if he feels the new Brio is better than the Rega Elicit for me. Let me know what he says.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15059
Good question and I will talk to Bill again soon. On Friday I will be visiting with the publisher of TONEAudio and listening to the Brio-R with Harbeth C7's....after that we will visit his big dog setup with a DCS stack. Should be a blast.

BTW the Brio-R just won the Product of the year for TONEAudio. I'm hoping that Jeff will have the Apollo-R broken in and a Saturn to compare as well as a Rega DAC. Lots of good times ahead!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15063
The CD players have arrived and I've pulled them from their boxes so that they can warm up to room temp. Play 'em later this evening.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 1156
Hey Art, which one are you going to try? I think you said that you were going to try one first to see if you liked the CA sound, or did you opt instead to give both a shot in the two different systems?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15064
Some things have changed and so I'm going to give both a good listen in the systems in which they will live, briefly.

Within the next couple of weeks I'm going to order the Rega Brio-R and by July I'll pick up the Apollo-R. If the CA players are tolerable I'll just grin and bear it until I get the Rega products.

After I acquire the Rega components I'll shift the NAD C326BEE and CA 650C into the wife's setup and put the CA 550C into the living room. It will finally be time to retire my trusty old Rotel RCD 971.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15066
Not hearing anything that would make me think bright, at least not yet. New and cold out of the box it sounds pretty good. As yet the instruments don't have quite the organic timbre (piano and violin in particular) as with the NAD, but there is a bit more resolution especially at the bottom end. Still warming up. I really think my wife will be pleased with 550C.

These are handsome little players. Nice fit and finish...nice touch with the sparkle in the black finish. Back to listening!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15070
This doggone CD player keeps getting better...the NAD's are already boxed up and ready for a return trip to the east coast!

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 1157
Hey Art, are you going to be able to compare the sound to the Apollo or Saturn that you owned before, or is that impossible given that the ssystems were totally different? I'll be honest, I thought you were going to dislike the CA player, given your earlier comments. It's nice to see that someone who was skeptical seems to have been won over (so far at least).

But I guess you'll be able to compare the sound to the Apollo-R. I'm sure the Rega is more expensive, so it *should* sound better.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15075
I had the Saturn in this system. I will be able to compare it with my notes.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15076
So far the NAD C545BEE still has the edge for harmonic richness and timbre and as a matter of opinion is better at that than is the Rega Apollo or Saturn. The C545BEE is the least digital sounding player I've heard at any price. Niggles, the NAD did a very poor job with cymbals, couldn't tell one from another. Tended to get confused the busier the music got, still extremely well organized for a CD player but if we are going to pick it apart....Also has bass that while detailed wasn't all there.

The Cambridge so far is just a hair more digital sounding, for better or worse. It has better resolution and has an easier time with complex music. Both have PRaT in spades with the NAD winning that by a hair. Amazingly the CA isn't any more digital sounding than the Apollo and in many ways is more honest than any Rega player I've heard. There are no parlor tricks to cover up the signal and/or no extra thickener in the gravy to give the impression of analog when it really isn't there. So far, and not broken in, the CA is a fine player and one of the better I've heard at under 1K...the NAD C545BEE remains the benchmark for timbre while the CA wins in most other ways.

Much more listening to do as the CA hasn't begun to open up yet. Also I've tried the filters and will comment on them as well.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 1158
Nice write up, Art. I think we both thought that the Rega sounded a little too thick. What you've written about the 650C I would say also applies to my Simaudio. But the 650C is like $499 now, isn't it? A real bargain I'd say.

Is Rega going to have to change the sound of the Apollo-R at all (vs. the Apollo or Saturn) for you to keep it over the 650C? it'll be an interesting comparison.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15077
Good question, Dan. The answer is yes. The Apollo-R will have to be a more honest interpretation of analog music in the digital domain than either the Apollo or Saturn. What does that mean? The essence of music for me is both timbre and relative scale. Rega missed on both counts but it took the meager little NAD to expose it...I really wasn't aware of what Rega was up to until I heard just how much closer to live music the NAD sounded than the Apollo or Saturn. Good news is that Rega has gone back to basics and I believe has designed a series of products that are among the most timeless in audio.

I will know more by weeks end.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15078
Another thing...the Apollo-R must be a high quality stand alone CD player, if it requires the DAC to be at it's best (not necessarily what Rega calls it's best) then I will pass...I don't think this will be a problem but felt that it deserved a mention .

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4894
Glad to hear the CA is working out for you Art.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15079
Hey Dave. still waiting for the answer to the question above. You stated that the CA was left just barely wanting compared to the Bryston DAC. Could you explain and give a comparison?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4895
Ah, yeah. Thanks for the reminder.

So what I did was I ran my 650C to the Bryston DAC via coax, then DAC to the 840A via XLR cables into input 1. Then I ran RCA out on the 650C directly to input 2 on the 840A. Then I put in a disc that was very familiar with and listened to about 1/2 the song through one source, then the other. Repeat several times.

Then I put the same song on and toggled back and forth between the 650C and the BDA-1. The Bryston is better. I would expect it to be since it's over 3x more expensive, but it's not 3x times, that's for sure.

The best way I can describe the BDA-1 is that it's "not there". A lot DACs try to emulate "analogue" sources - the W4S DAC is like this. The Bryston is transparent. The 650C imparts a bit more of it's own character on the sound, but this is not a bad thing. I really like the sound of the dual Wolfson DACs.

The BDA-1 did have a bit more air on the top-end for cymbals, but the 650C imaged just as well as it did. Actually, in my opinion, the BDA-1 is actually a bit over-priced for what it does (it retails here in Canada for about 2200 now).

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3616
Art - I think you hit it on the head when you said CA does no tricks. I agree. Its as Neutral as I have heard. No coloration and will not give you a false presentation of the music. It plays what is recorded. No bumps in the highs and no bloom in the low end.

I have a story to tell you, a little off topic but sort of the situation you are in now :

I had two good friends, and hi fi dealers tell me in the last week that the CA 840a would not touch the Naim 5i in terms of musicality. At first, I thought they were going to be right. Until the amp started to open up due to break in. 100 hours of time it took.

To assure myself it was the right thing to sell the Naim, I had some buddies over yesterday and I setup Blind test for them A/B'n the two amps with 5 selected songs I picked out.

My one bud picked the CA 4 out of 5 times. The other 3 out of 5 and my wife picked it 2 out of 3 with the third declaring a tie. To me the Naim holds a bloom in the low end that is easy to listen to but can make some guitar and piano sound not exactly how I would expect it to sound. The CA was night and day more detailed, with Guitar and Piano timbre spot on IMO. I found that the dealers I spoke to discredited to CA not even hearing it or A/B'n it to a Naim amp or any other for that matter. I spent hours and hours A/B'n the two myself and on most material the CA won out. Bottom end control was far better. Inner detail is far greater. Top end was a bit edgy for me at first, but has really settled down a lot already and I only have about 20 total hours on the amp so far. Its smooth, with absolute no coloration that I can hear like I could hear in other amps.

The reason why I bring this up is because like you, I had trusted friends and hi fi shop owners telling me the CA was not musical. Or not up to snuff compared to the Naim. Well I can simply say after listening to it in my own system they were very very wrong. It may not be for you, but if you end up digging the Neutral, detailed sound of the CA cdp's then I would give it a listen. If your friend has one in shop have him set the Rega and CA in a A/B configuration.

Dave had the Rega Elicit for quit some time, and he could probably further tell you the sonic differences between those two amps. Although the Brio-R I am guessing would be more musical than the Elicit.

I am not trying to sell you on anything, just telling you my experience in the case of not discrediting any gear based on your friends suggestions. Here is a pic I took with my phone in low light. Thank you Dora table for working double duty.lol

Upload

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3617
I agree with Dave, the BDA-1 is one of the best sources I have heard, but is over priced indeed. I love Bryston gear, they make great amps and integrated amps, and now great sources. One item that is WAYYYYYY over priced, actually down right rip off as I know exactly what it takes to build, is their new digital player. 3k for that thing is crazy. It has about 350 dollars in parts inside. Add another 150 for the case its in. Anyway, I am ranting. lol.

The CA cdp's starting to settle in yet?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4896
Nice audio rack Nick! lol.

I think a lot of dealers discredit or poo poo CA gear because it just does not have the mystique or snob factor of other brands. Or they don't sell it. haha.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15080
Hey Nick...well said on your part and thank you for that contribution to the thread.

The one fella does have both the Brio-R and 840 in the store however the store is on the other side of the country. I do know a store just north of here that has both products. I may visit them...if I do I would then buy from them as I won't use them for a demo without giving them my business.

Just a note...I can't say that I'm digging the CA presentation as much as I'm not offended by it. It sounds a lot better than I thought it would...and it may be even better after more time running in. I also love the look and feel of it. Just feels like quality compared to the NAD (which is actually heavier).

I'm pretty set on getting the Brio-R as it has a nice MM phono stage which will be great with my Rega RP1. I will listen to it on Friday along with the Apollo-R against the Rega DAC and Saturn on Harbeth C7's...now that should be a blast!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4897
Gotta like the CA remotes too. Solid metal. Heavy enough to use for self-defence.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15081
BTW way, Dave, which filter do you prefer on the CA.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4898
There's no filters on the 650C. Just straight through.

I have a lot of experience with the CA DAC Magic, and a 3 filters on them really weren't so good.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15083
There are 2 filters on the 650C. Read the manual, Dave.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4899
Oh right. Now I remember.

I played with this when I first got it a year ago, and forgot all about it. One sounded way better than the other (can't remember which - I guess it was the default).

So set it and forgot about it. I think it was the slow roll-off.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15084
Appears that you have it on the default filter (sharp roll off). You can also opt for slow rolloff.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15085
When you get a chance check which one you are using.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4900
It's kinda moot for me right now since I'm using the outboard DAC, but it would be fun to go back and play around with them again.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15086
So far I find the default "sharp" setting better. A hair more natural timbre on the Slow setting but the highs become tedious and the pace slows down.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15088
For anyone looking I have a Marantz CD5004 in excellent condition for sale.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Stamford, Connecticut USA

Post Number: 4504
Art,

I really look forward to hearing your opinions on the Rega stuff. I briefly heard the Brio-R... Far better than any Rega integrated I've heard (haven't heard the Isis, oris it the Osiris?). Maybe better isn't the best word; how about preferable? Either way, I think it's the best Rega integrated I've heard.

If you haven't heard the Rega DAC, give it a good listen. IMO it takes a bit of listening to really catch what it's doing. I guess most stuff is that way though.

Gonna start a new thread, as I've got to make a big change. Great in a lot of ways, not so great in a relatively insignificant way in the grand scheme of things.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15091
Looking forward to reading your thread, Stu.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15094
Any of you guys experience any high frequency ringing with the CA player?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15097
"So far I find the default "sharp" setting better. A hair more natural timbre on the Slow setting but the highs become tedious and the pace slows down."

Exactly the opposite tonight. I far prefer the slow setting tonight. The timbre of the NAD is regained along with much more detail. I hear stuff in these recordings that haven't heard since I had a much more resolving setup. Marantz CD 5004 sold and Rega Brio-R is the next star on the horizon.

Much more to talk about with these players!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15100
Tonight the CA is really beginning to smoke...man I hope I don't wake up tomorrow and realize it was the beer...lol!

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3623
lol So was it the beer or is it still singing along nicely?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15109
It weren't the beer.

More impressions that I wrote today at AK.

"Been enjoying the CA player all day as it continues to become more organic sounding. It's far more open than the NAD which at first seems a bit tippy on the high end but further listening results in me not leaving the room and continuing to spin more discs.

At first I preferred the sharp roll-off filter as the slow roll-off filter setting appeared too bright and it seemed as though the pace slowed down. Instruments had a more natural timbre and decay was also more natural with the slow roll-off so I was disappointed about the other shortcomings. It was the attack (lack of) and brightness that bothered me.

Last night I turned on the slow roll-off again with the intent to leave it on until I had to run out of the room screaming and tearing my hair out...didn't happen. The player had sufficiently run in that it just sounded great. Open, fast and dynamic with a far more natural timbre than the sharp roll-off setting. This is a pretty darn good player and big step up for CA in this price range. My guess is that the 651C is outstanding. Keep in mind that I paid 469.00 for the 650C and 299.00 for the 550C.

Also been running my wife's 550C in repeat mode and checking on it every couple hrs (turn the volume up). It's less detailed than the 650C and quite smooth sounding. I also must note that the system is much different as well. I think my wife is going to love it. She's in Seattle visiting her daughter...she'll be home Saturday."

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3624
Awesome Art. Glad its settling in nicely. It will only continue to get better too. Cambridge's mid to higher end stuff has a shockingly good sound I find.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15111
Glass of wine and good music...I'm diggin' it!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15181
This week I'm back to using the sharp roll-off filter and I am enjoying it more. There is a bit too much of something with the slow roll-off filter. Still evaluating.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4917
Just went back and re-read this thread after visiting the SpearitSound website. 651C? Man, CA come out with so much new stuff I can't keep up with it. Looks like the 651C has more filters than the previous 650C, and if memory serves me correct, the three filters in the 651C might be the same as in the DACMagic.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15230
Well this system is settling in very nicely. Warming up considerably and just making beautiful music. That said, I'm pretty sure that I would not select a CA cd player were I on the open market. I would probably save a while and look upmarket. The players that my wife and I have represent great value with outstanding build, top quality parts and solid sound however the midrange and timbre are just a hair dry and lean for my taste. Not far from neutral and in fact probably no further than NAD but in the opposite direction.

Let me be clear...in no way do I feel ripped off by Cambridge and in fact I would not feel that way had I paid retail which I didn't, I paid hundreds less. Considering what happened to my NAD's I feel particularly blessed to have these wonderful players...cheers!

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3666
Cool. What cd player do you think you will try next Art? Do you think you will go the new Apollo? I will be trying an 840C soon I hope. Very different from their other CD Players I am told much like the matching amp is the typical CA either. All the reviews I am reading on the 840C are highly promising. But we will see.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15232
Not sure, Nick. It will be awhile while as I will have to save for it. I will give this one more time to settle in but I believe that I can live with this sound for quite sometime. Definitely don't want to jump into anything. I've gone as far with CA as I want to and if I change it will be to something with a sound that lies smack in the middle of what NAD and CA offers but with the same PRaT that they both have...that would take some looking so I am not in any hurry.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15268
So last night after about 4 minutes of track 1 the cd player stopped and ejected the CD. Anyone have any issues like that? It's only done it that one time.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4923
The 650 did that?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15269
Yes.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4924
Bummer dude. Mine's never done that. Never even skipped on 20 year old CDs that are scratched to hell.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15270
Yeah, I think I ask too much of these things. Play discs and don't make too much noise while doin' it! My wife's 550C started making a grinding noise when the drawer opens. Does anyone make quality anymore? Meanwhile the 10 yr old Rotel keeps on keepin' on!

Spearit is all out of the 550C's in black so they upgraded to the 650C for free.

Bottom line, their last 2 black 650C's are on their way. I'm crossing my fingers.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15275
To be clear I don't think CA has a major QC issue like the NAD. I called a number friends in the business today who carry CA and they were clear that they have not seen any recurring problems, none. In fact all but one had not had any returned 550C's or 650C's. This makes me comfortable that their quality is good.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2669
The problem I had a few years ago was 99% due to shipping / handling. The guy who brought the box into the store was given a Banana by the driver. The delivery guy than peeled it with his lips.

My 840c? perfect since then....

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15292
Today my 650C started skipping on the last song of a pristine CD. I'll be getting a new one next week and the saving starts to buy a real player...too bad. CA, not recommended. I can only go by my experience and so far, not so good.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3672
That sucks Art. Thats 4 Nad CDP'd, 3? CA's? Your Soniteer amp had issues..man oh man is this all from the same dealer? Maybe time to start looking for a new place to shop?lol It seems like you have had horrible luck the last few years. No issue with my 840a amp yet, and it absolutely crushes the Naim 5i in every area. Lets hope I never have any technical issues with it.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15295
No the NAD's and CA's (only 2 not 3) are from Spearit. 2 more are coming next week to replace the 2 bad ones here making the actual total of CD players 8 in the last couple of months. The Sonneteer was a used piece from Eugene HiFi. The only real problem with that one was the Dale's wife blew a channel and he neglected to tell me about the repair until my tech caught it and I asked him about it (twice). The Sonneteer worked fine it was just an old design with and it's age was showing. It also only sounded great through one input, good through another and no better than average on the others. Still a very nice amp. I also had a mechanism in a Rega Saturn go bad and had to send it in for repair.

I know how you guys feel about CA and I'm sure most of them are constructed quite well but there is now way in Hades that I would take the CA sound over Rega and probably not Naim either. Just not my cup by comparison. Personally I'm not even sure that Naim is my cup any more. I always find myself drawn back to the Rega sound and they are really doing some special things these days. No way I'd get caught up in the whole Naim upgrade thing so it's gonna likely be Rega for me. The Brio-R is all the amp I'll need for quite sometime and I hope before I hope I can get a CA to last long enough to get a Rega Apollo-R...we'll see.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3673
I wouldn't take the CA sound over Naim either until I heard the 840a V2. Its not your typical CA, and compared to other mid to low priced amps in the CA lineup, its not even in the same league, and sounds completely different. Same goes for the 840cdp. This doesn't mean you still wouldn't like it, but for me thats like buying a Naim Nait 5i and saying the Naim sound is not any good, while not hearing their big dog separates which sound completely in another league all together. lol ( I still really dig the 5i, dont get me wrong)

I hope the Brio has no issues for you Art, and your able to get the Apollo for an all Rega system. Does Spearit not have any other mid priced CDP's you can try?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15299
Naim separates are in a different league than the Nait and CD5i but still have the characteristic Naim sound. CA sounds like CA, albeit with more refinement and perhaps less upper midrange glare. It's not a bad sound but like all other brands, it may not be for everyone.

Spearit has Music Hall and that's about it. If I get a working 650C it'll do just fine until save for an Apollo-R, hopefully before this year is out.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3674
I would agree for the most part, however once in a while a company decides to make a product outside of the box, with a fully different design that sounds completely different. The only thing similar is the badge. Sort of like what Rega has done with their latest amps. Pop the hood and it is very different. Different sound as well. Hearing a Mira 3 or Elicit and people may get a bad taste for Rega. Not everyone, but a lot of people. They may discredit the Brio-R but shouldn't as the only thing similar to those other two amps is the Rega brand slapped on the front of it. The Brio-R is far superior from what I hear, and is a cracking amp. I didn't care much for the Mira 3, actually I did not like it at all. That doesn't mean I wouldn't absolutely love the Brio-R. I have heard all the CA amps, and thought they were ok but nothing I would really purchase. The 840A is a completely different amp. It isn't jsut more powerful, or defined. Its all different parts, different design, nothing the same, just the badge. From what I am hearing the Brio-R is similar in the fact it is a different approach from Rega then what the current line of amps brought, and that they hit a home run with this one.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15305
True, partially. The little Brio-R does a lot of things better than the Mira 3 and Elicit but the family resemblance is still there. Though there may be many different parts under the hood the same designer chose the parts but with a somewhat different direction in mind. They may not be twins, even fraternal, but there is still a family resemblance.

Relative to the CA 840A, I really wouldn't know. Probably like you I haven't heard a CA amp that I've liked (other than the 840A for you). So the 840A would have to come quite a distance off of the family sound to make it for me. Even though the CA CD players aren't long term keepers for me they have certainly been a pleasant surprise sound wise. Much better to my ears than their predecessors. My guess is that I would think that the CA 840A sounds very good, whether it would be to my liking would remain to be seen.

BTW I think that the Mira 3 was a bit bland, but in the context of a whole Rega system it really was quite pleasant...and with vinyl it was stellar.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 1177
Thought you weren't crazy about the Rega sound, Art. Or with the Saturn at the very least. Nevertheless, it does sound like Rega has upped their game with their latest products.

Two CD players I'd like to hear are the Audiolab 8200CD and the Sony SCD-XA5400ES. Great reviews for both.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15310
The Saturn was too saturated in my room. I believe I would get the same negative result with the Apollo-R and DAC combo. However I believe that the Apollo-R by itself would be just lean enough to be successful, and wouldn't have the excessive high end of the CA players.

Back to using the slow roll-off filter. Better for tonight anyway.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3675
Have you tried another brand of CD player yet with the Brio-R?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15313
No other CD players with the Brio-R as yet. I figured since I have to work to keep the CA player from being bright with an NAD amp that it's the CD players that are the issue. The only other player I have at my disposal at present is the Rotel.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3676
Does Spirit sound not allow refunds on gear you do not like the sound of? I thought they had a 30 day trial? Why are you settling with gear that you do not like if you are able to simply return it for a refund and buy something different? I must be missing something here.lol. Unless it has been over 30 days. I am sure Spearit will return them still for another CD player. Or sell them now while you can still get close to the buying price for them. It seems like your opinion on them is dropping considerably so get rid of them while you still can.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15314
I don't have the balance to buy anything else at this point...no endless audio funds here, nothing to miss. In order to have something I have to settle. If I can't get it to become tolerable I will sell it quickly and probably for more than I paid. My wife likes hers, so it's all good there.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15315
Remember I started with 2 refurb NAD's, one of which had a wonky case to start with so I paid $669 total for them and I paid $100 once for an upgrade to the CA 650C. So I will wind up with 2 CA 650C's for $769 total. So if I can sell mine for more than $385 I will come out ahead. Not bad. That's why so much critical listening this weekend because I will have a new one in an unopened box on Tuesday...easier to sell.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4925
That's pretty good actually. The 650C's retail up here for around 800.00.

We always we shafted in Canada.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us