Amp for TDL-RTL2 and Marantz CD63 SE

Username: Travellersolo

Post Number: 1
Hi all, I own a CD player Marantz CD63 SE, and speakers are TDL-RTL2 floor-standing (transmission line speakers.) Both are quite old gear, near or over 15 years.

I am looking for a used integrated amplifier for the above set. I was told that the TDLs are on the slow side, so amps from Marantz will make it worse - how true is it?

These offers are available to me:

a) Luxman Duo-B Circuit Stereo Integrated Amplifier L-113A

b) Aiwa Compact Stereo Integrated Amplifier A10

c) Sansui AU217 Solid State Integrated Amplifier

Would like suggestions...

Gold Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 1511
What amp have you been running up until now ? Did it die on you, or have you just come to the conclusion you need a new amp ?

Post Number: 2
Hi Christ, I bought the set from a friend, he lends me an old Sony TA313 integrated (looks like it is taken out of another complete Sony system), which seems to be a good match. However, I am supposed to get my own amp and return the amp to him.

My taste is more toward vocal, jazz, classical, and 80's brit pop, no heavy metal etc.

Gold Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 1512
How big is the room you are listening in ? What is the budget you have in mind for the purchase ? Is the cd player the only source that needs to plug into the integrated amp ? If your cd player is 15 years old or better, you should think about updating it together with the amplifier.....if you have the funds to do so. Digital audio has come a long way in that time period, and updating your amplifier to something newer may not yield significant gains as the amp can only show you what it is being fed.

I'm not a fan of Sony, Aiwa, or similar mass market gear. The power supplies are typically pretty weak, and those names aren't nearly as reliable as they were 15 years ago. There are many fine integrateds out there for reasonable money (especially used), however "reasonable" is a relative term. You'll need to help us with what you're willing to spend. Do you know how efficient your speakers are ? What is their sensitivity rating ?

Post Number: 3
My room size = 8 ft x 15 ft.

Budget: as low as possible (below 80 euro) - I live in Malaysia.

Since this is an old system, i don't care about the latest digital audio innovations, i just want the system to play CDs well, plus connect an mp3 player or my notebook computer into the AUX and play my mp3 collection (which my current Sony TA313 is capable of.)

Technical Specifications of TDL-RTL2 Speakers:

Reflex transmission line loading floor standing
Two 172 mm loaded polypropylene cone with forward roll rubber surround & phase plug - long throw double wound coil on kapton former with bump back magnet yoke.
19mm soft dome ferro-fluid cooled
Electrical 2 way second order network at 3 kHz - bi-wired
40Hz-20kHz
87dB at 1m for 1 watt
8 ohm nominal
20-80 watts per channel
200 mm wide x 220mm deep

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17133

I don't have a clue what "the TDLs are on the slow side" is supposed to mean. I suspect the person who told you that doesn't either.

The TDL's are not bright or forward. They might be described as "warm" by some listeners. So would the Marantz 63. None of the three brands you mentioned above are currently producing equipment. I would suggest you at least look into owning a component you can have serviced if repairs become necessary. With your extremely low budget I would suggest you buy whatever you can afford that might last for a few years. Brands are not specific so much as anything that fits your budget.

Gold Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 1513
It's tough to suggest anything at that price range. On the used market you may be able to pick up something of reasonable quality that's aged a bit, but I would have no idea what would be available in your area.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15394
With your budget I would look at used NAD integrated amps. Plenty of information about them and they usually hold up pretty well. Good luck.

Post Number: 4
hmm... looks like i'll have to spend more to get an amp that's worthy for these TDLs. The following items are available to me:

Harman Kardon HK610 - at £70
Rotel RA-971 MK II - at £170
Sansui AU-217 - at £85 (a vintage item)

Any commend?

Gold Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 1514
The HK should be a step up from the Sony you were using, so that would be my choice. The Rotel might be ok too. The Sansui if working fine would be a fine amp, but given its age is likely to need some servicing which may be pricey, if it can be serviced at all. At that price I'd be a little suspicious what you are buying.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us