The band's going electric...Help!!

Username: Smd1909

Post Number: 1
Our "jam group" has recently picked up a couple of horn players and it's been "every man for himself" with mics and guitar amps up til now. But now we really need to balance the sound as we're starting to do some restaurant gigs. My thought is that I'd purchase a YamahaCG166cx mixer and three Shure SM-58 mics. We have two guitars, two horns, flute, drums and two three vocalists.The horns and drums would not be amplified.

From what I understand, we would jack all the electronic feeds into the mixer, then through a pre-amp & power amp, then into speakers? From the mixer on, I have no idea where to go equipment-wise. Our budget is small, but if we're going to invest, I don't want to have to do it again in a year. Help?!?! Thanks for your input, we really need it. ~Steve

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17086

This forum is about home audio rather than sound reinforcement amplification. Additionally, there's really no way to tell you what equipment to buy since your choices will be determined mostly by what you and your band mates feel best suits the overall needs of the group. With 16 channels and a few buss lines the Yamaha looks like it would be flexible enough but I doubt you won't need to repalce it in time. It's a continuous problem with bands that they always want what they don't have whether its a new board or a better bass player. One problem you'll probably run into is who gets to run the board during your gigs. The more complex the system, the more people will want to have a say in how it should be set. And, typically, those settings are never fixed in time. As a venue changes or the night wears on and the traffic in the restaurant increases and eventually decreases, settings must be changed to accomodate the acoustics of the moment. I would make a priority of just how easy it is to make these on the fly changes to a board with lots of feaures.

Your chain of electronics is too complicated. There's no need for a "pre amp" after the mixer, the mixer has it's own pre amp built in. It will normally feed directly to your power amps.

If I were you, I would first begin paying attention to what equipment similar musicians are using in your area. Then ask if they're satisfied with what they have and why. You'll get as many opinions as if you had asked whether they are happy with their electric guitar or piano. No musician is ever satisfied, that's what keeps the stores in business. Ask where they bought their gear and whether they have a guru to talk to. They'll know the local venues and can probably give some good tips about set up. If all of that fails, then you head to where ever you've purchased your instruments. Get you hands on a few boards and see just how easy they are to work with in the darkness of a stage. Hands on is better than any other recommendation anyone can make.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us