New DACMagic+

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2668
Well, CA has upped the ante in the budget / lower end of the DAC pool.
This guy is drawing me in like it was made for me. My local CA dealer will call me when one comes in...AND, they liked it at the recent CES.
Having balanced and unbalanced outputs, 2 optical / 2 coax along with Async USB and a BlueTooth receiver input (receiver dongle option). So, I could stream music from my MAC using Bluetooth and ditch the quirky airport express.

Multiple output filters, like other CA digitial products, it also has a headphone output. The Volume control? Can be used for the Balanced or unbalanced outputs, too. So, for a minimum system, you'd need some headphones and a source. period. OR, connect to a set of AudioEngine speakers or other powered speakers for a hi-end dorm system.

Anyone with any thoughts about this please chime in.

Gold Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 1493
I expect the price will go up, especially if they added async usb. Any idea what the new price point will be ? Have you checked out the Mapleshade version of the Dac Magic Leo ?

http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Cambridge-Audio-DacMagic-with-Mapleshade-Upgrade s/productinfo/MOD-DACMAG/

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17087

http://lickham.co.uk/pdfs/dacmagic.pdf

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/40594-dacmagic-mods.html

Gold Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 1176
Hey Leo, the other one to consider might be the Audiolab M-DAC. Audiolab's new CD player and DAC have gotten awesome reviews across the board. I am myself kicking around the idea of trying the 8200CDQ.

http://www.audiolab.co.uk/M-DAC%20Series.aspx?lang=En

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Stamford, Connecticut USA

Post Number: 4540
I think I read it'll be about $600, but don't hold me to that. That's only a $125 or so increase. Not too bad for all the new features. The DACMagic is a great VFM. Can't imagine the new one won't be.

There's also a stripped down version coming out too. It's the size of their iPod/iPad doc, and has one of each type of input.

If I can find links to my info, I'll post them. Somewhere on Pink Fish Media, IIRC.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15279
http://www.headphiles.org/index.php?topic=4131.0

DacMagic 100.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15280
http://www.stereophile.com/content/cambridge-audio-dacmagic-100

http://www.audiostream.com/content/cambridge-audio-dacmagic-100

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net.au/index.php/news-blog-and-showcase/john-darko s-blog/item/331-cambridge-audio-launch-dacmagic-100-at-ces-2012

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2673
Thanks to all.

Jan, the article on modd'in the DAC ref'd OPA2134 opamps. I used one in my CMOY headphone amp. Good stuff.....and good for 'rolling'.

I like the Balanced outs on the new and older 'magic'. That will stay.
The complete feature set of the 'PLUS' is killing me. The ability to have an inexpensive hi-end system using just a source and powered speakers will raise the bar for dorm or desk systems.

When pricing is stabilized, I WILL sell my 840c and get one of these....with the BlueTooth dongle. My iMac, if I read the press correctly, will handle A2DP and APT-x for best possible quality. My Airport Express may also go on the block.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2716
pulled trigger and put my 840c on the block. Deal will be 'revenue neutral' and simplify my system, reduce parts count and eliminate one entire disc transport.

When down at the local dealer, I saw / heard the Paradigm Atom with the built in 50x2 (per speaker!) amp. These will shock 'ya. Very nice and you can, with a DAC like the DM+, build the most wacky simple system with hi-fi ability. Keep the room to the appropriate size and you're golden.
If I had a young'un going to college this combo is perfect. Laptop as the source without the need for even hooking up an iPod....
I'm trying to get my brother interested in this approach but I don't think he gets it....too simple, maybe.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15660
I'll bet that sounds pretty damn good, Leo!

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 3702
Leo, heard them, they are amazing in their price range. I really liked the V6 version of the Atoms, they were actually my fav in the monitor series. The new ones kill them, and can come with the added 50 watt amp which is basically a plate amp Anthem. Good price too.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2721
New DM+ will arrive shortly...with the BT dongle.

Art, any advice on filter setup? I suspect I'll listen to each in turn and just decide....than not mess with it much, if at all. Phase? likewise, I'm sure.

The baby powered Paradigms? Man, if I could only get my brother to go for a listen. It'd change his thoughts on a stereo. Right now? He would love to find a nice OLD Sansui Receiver!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15691
Heck I don't even know what the filters are on that bad boy. With CA CD players the slow rolloff filter sounds the best so if there is anything that approximates that then I would give that a try.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2722
The 3 filters are 'linear', 'minimum' and 'steep'.

Same choices as the 640?

come to think of it, the CA digital sections are all relatives. Cousins, maybe. The DM+ adds headphone output. I'm thinking that way for late night TV viewing.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15693
The 650C has only 2, steep and Slow. Minimum is probably the slow rolloff filter and the best one to use. What does the manual say is the slow rolloff filter?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2724
I don't have the piece yet and haven't looked up the manual online.

For the DM+, a tester actually measured the steep slope at a couple db down at 20khz. Give me a minute to see if I can find it again....
(musical interlude)

http://kenrockwell.com/audio/cambridge/dacmagic-plus.htm#meas

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15696
Is that the music to Jeopardy that I hear....

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2726
Actually, Art, I was hearing the Piano intro to Rhapsody in Blue, but Jeopardy works, too!
That's 'Musical Interludes' for 800$, Art (Fleming)

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15700
I love Rhapsody in Blue and have several versions of it.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2728
The all piano version on the Gershwin plays Gershswin piano rolls album is amazing.
'Sweet and Lowdown' a fave.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2736
My CA dealer was told by the distributor they are NO LONGER a CA dealer! Without even an up-yours greeting card as warning!
So, now I'm in the market.
Where's the best place to buy a DM+?

NOT Audiophile Liquidators, I hope!

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2745
DM+ arrived today and is already hooked up.
Output from my OPPO 981hd comes across as 44.1 while from the PlayStation, 48khz.
No playing with filters for maybe 50 hours or so.

Unboxing was fun. Included stuff? Well, the PS is a universal type and comes with clip-on plug adaptors for several OTHER markets. Likewise, the Manual(s) are in 2 volumes of 4 languages EACH. Stick on feet and the rubber, vertical mount 'shoe' are also included. A throw away USB cable also fell out of the box.

Since space is not an issue, I'll make up a base for normal orientation.
I'm looking at USB repeaters, so that will be on the list, since that should provide better sound than the BT dongle.

Listening tests soon. But it already is fine. I reconfigured to make the bal / unbal outputs fixed while the headphone is still controlled by the VC. I'm using the balanced outs w/my Mogami cables.

And, most important, a 'revenue neutral' swap, so the spouse was not PO'd.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2749
Got the USB working...and boy is that nice. More listening tests tomorrow when I can turn it up a little.
Bought a pair of 15' USB repeaters. Than reconfigured the DAC for USB 2.0
Windows needs a driver, but Mac is OK out of the box after OS 10.5 or so. Anyway, Here I go.
Initial problems? Yes. Sounded awful. So, I removed the ill-fitting USB a/b adaptor and found a dedicated a/b exension cable.
Now, DAC sees 192k and it is right....to the limits of midnite, don't wake anybody up levels.

The problem / concern?
Well, I checked the system profiler. Both other USB channels said 500ma max and 100ma being used. The run to the DAC? 500 / 500 which is basically redline for the USB standard. hmmmmm.
And the makers of these extender gadgets claim you can daisy chain 'em to sometimes 90 feet. I'm not so sure.

I may yet end up with a powered repeater to take the strain off the USB bus?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us