Speaker connector wearing out?

Username: O_0

Post Number: 1
I have a pair of speakers (Harmon/Kardon) with a green 3.5" headphone connector.

This connector seems to be wearing out. The speaker is supposed to produce sound immediately when plugged in, but after using it a while the connector required turning in order to produce sound, and after a while the speaker doesn't produce any sound no matter how much the connector is turned.

I only hear feedback when the speaker volume is turned up. Is this a result of the connector wearing out, and is there a diy repair for this? (I'm familiar with electronics, soldering, etc)

Thanks in advance

Post Number: 2
Lol, that should be 3.5mm, standard headphone jack

Gold Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 1494
Are you sure the wires aren't failing on the cable connected to the headphone jack ? Every time I've had issues with a headphone connection, it's always worked back to wires, not jacks. Turning the jack may just be changing the angle of the wires so that you get a connection.....until the wire relaxes some more and the connection fails.

Post Number: 3
It could be; I've sometimes noticed that changing the position of the wire helps, but nothing really helps anymore, the wire must be completely broken. Can I just cut open the wire and solder it or something? I would need the schematic for this type of connection. Thanks for replying

Gold Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 1496
Can you not just buy a new cable ? If the cable has a 3.5mm connector on one end, what does it have on the other ?

Post Number: 4
I wish it was that easy, the other end just goes directly into the speaker. It doesn't plug in and out.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 15923
Something is off. You claim to have familiarity with electronics and yet you are having trouble with a simple headphone connection? Connectors are easy to replace. Just cut the plug, expose the bare wire and attach them to a/an receiver/amplifier's speaker outputs. If there is sound or not, you've pretty much narrowed it down.

Post Number: 5
Thanks, I just wanted to get some expert opinions before cutting anything open. I don't have a receiver or amplifier but I'll just cut a cheap pair of headphones. Maybe I can avoid cutting off the connector though because probably it's the wire like Hawkbilly said, so that's a lot of cutting.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us