A Samsung jack of all trades...

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Fort Hamilton, NY United States

Post Number: 3537
http://m.techcrunch.com/2012/01/09/eyes-on-the-delightfully-retro-samsung-da-e75 -speaker-dock/

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17073

I live in a home that will soon be 100 years old in a "Historic District" where all the houses are vastly different yet cozily similar to that historic look and feel. Most of my house has had no "modernization" and the updates have, for the most part, been carefully done - or, in a few cases, undone - to reflect the Arts and Craft Bunglaow feel of the early 1990's. I have many prices of furniture from that time period and many audio and electronics pieces which are nearing their half century or greater mark. I chose these pieces and this house to reflect my ideas of, I suppose, "retro" as I see it from the perspective of an aging baby boomer.

As I watch the guitar and musical instrument market go to really crazy pricing over anything "retro" which is merely a marketing term and the thinking that "retro" is whatever the designer cares to label it, I honestly don't know what to make of fake retro which only pretends to be what it is not. I always shake my head at "tube" audio which feels it has to show the owner the tubes to prove what it is while it really isn't anything like it claims to be. I don't want to sound like the ever complaining curmudgeon here but I just don't get the idea all that often.

Gold Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 1795
How about the solid state table radios with faux tubes up top? I saw one in a novelty shop a few years ago.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Stamford, Connecticut USA

Post Number: 4534
"...reflect the Arts and Craft Bunglaow feel of the early 1990's. I have many prices of furniture from that time period..."

Early 1990's? Man, I really feel old. I graduated high school in '94.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17081

Believe me, Stu, I turned 59 this year and there are more than a few times were I literally feel old. A friend - who's 63 - was talking to her brother - who's 58 - about all the old people she was seeing. I had to reminder her that she, her brother and I are the "old people" nowdays.

You can see it in my typing skills, no? One too many 9's.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Fort Hamilton, NY United States

Post Number: 3538
I think it's an attractive sucker. I'd rather see all-in-one docking units that look like this than look like a Bose.

I'd like to hear it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us