Behringer B312D Active/Powered Loudspeaker/Stage Monitor Review

Username: Jay_castro

Santa Ana, San Jos Costa Rica

Post Number: 9
Hello,
I want to discuss certain features in this new active/powered speaker I recently purchased. Here is a list of features it has, as per manufact:
- Class D amplification with Switch mode power supply
- As per Behringer specs: 12 inch paper cone woofer rated as 280 W RMS @ 8 Ohms and a 1.75 inch Titanium Diaphragm Compression Driver Tweeter, rated as 65 W RMS @ 8 Ohms.
- Servo-balanced one channel 1/4 and XLR inputs, both with a sensitivity of -40 dBu to + 4dBu and a input impedance of 20kOhms
- Level/Gain Knob: Input trim, 0 to 30 dB and max input level of +22dBu
- High EQ: 12Khz +/- 15 dB
- Low EQ: 80Hz +/- 15 dB
- Integrated sound processor for speaker clipping protection and control of audio signal.
- Frequency response 60Hz to 18 kHz
- Xover Freq 2.1kHz
- Sound Pressure Level: max 125 dB SPL @ 1 m
- Weight: 49 lbs
- Price in amazon.com : 313 US Dollars, free shipping
So I purchase this active/powered speaker/monitor, for PA applications, like connecting a dynamic microphone for vocal/singing, as well as for playing acoustic electric guitar and also for music (iPod, cd player, computer) playback, for small parties and events.
This thread is for opinions on the speaker and also meant for resource for who ever is interesting in buying one of this speakers.

So my thoughts on it:
For one thing I was never a fan of titanium tweeters, I can of had the impression that they were a little harsh and shrill sounding. The tweeter or high freq compression driver on this speaker is not harsh or shrill sounding, I mean it is very powerfull though, and you have to tweak the High level knob on it and on your mixer, for certain songs. So the dedfinition of high freq of this titanium tweeter is super good, and the cymbals and other wind instruments really come alive on it. I now think that there is a purpose for this, I mean, mostly I had focused on car audio, where you sit like 4 feet from the speaker, so anything that was not mellowly set, will had sound harsh. Now for this setup, this are PA speakers, they need to have a stronger Sound Pressure Level, so that would probably tell me why they use Titanium tweeters, since they can achieve more power without not being able to handle themselves. Now I think It was a great choice of material and also the way it was coupled in it's structure seems to have aided in the powerlful and flawless reproduction. The dispersion even off axis is very good. I have tested by going at least as far as 120 yards from it, of axis and with trees in between, and the high frequencies sounded with detail and definition.
The woofer, I have always been fan of paper cones, but of course they are better for a home environment, where humidity is not an issue. This woofer aids in a the job of reproducing vocals in the most amazing way I have heard in home use speakers. Really the vocals definition is the best thing in this speaker. The mid bass reproduction, 80 hz to 800 kHz, is also a strong side of this speaker as well. It has a decent bass punch, but of course is not a subwoofer.
The clean power of this speaker is strong too, I of course could not tell if it is making the rated rms clean power, but it sure has enough clean power to go arround, from what I have tested so far. I have not yet being able to test it's limits, I mean, when I get the chance to do a party with at least 30 people of more in a closed room or open area, but as soon as I do I will post on it. I have though, played at high volume levels for testing sakes, and a couple of times I got the ''clip'' led light on and off, but it was just a matter of adjusting the eq and it went off. Even though I got the ''clip'' light the sound was not distorting, but for overload protection, the speaker lets you know. I get a moderate to strong ''hiss'' sound from the tweeter, when the speaker is at iddle, but as soon as you play sound on it at low to normal levels, you cannot notice it and it does not affect the playing sound quality at all, so I don't mind about that, it always had it since I played to test it in the local store I bought, and also it was the same on the other same models. I have use it for singing vocals, with a Sennheiser e835 dynamic cardiod mic and it sounds amazing, very detailed and articulate. I also tried using the mic to mic the sound from a small home theater front speaker and it sounds amazing ! The acoustic electric guitar plugged in to it, sounds really good too, excellent response across the guitar's frequency spectrum. Overall I think this is a great powered/active loudspeaker/PA/monitor and just for the price, without price being a matter. Honestly I could not believe you could get such an articulate, high sound definition and powerfull speaker for such a good price. I had never had Behringer products, but I have to say I am impressed with their engineering and technologies. Highly recommend this product !

Gold Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 1778
I once read where someone described cymbals through titanium tweeters as "sounding like the drummer was banging on a piece of metal with a ball peen hammer".

I haven't heard the particular speakers you're talking about, but mine have titanium tweeters and sound great. They are Mirage Omnisat OS(3)s ($250 each). They're free of any harshness, shrillness or ball peen hammer effects. In fact, IMO, these are the about the best sounding speakers I've heard so far for under $1k each. So, my guess is that detractors have either used speakers with titanium tweeters with amps that weren't a good match, used them in poorly matched room acoustics, their ears don't like the tweeters or a combo of these and possibly other factors.

Post Number: 10
Thanks a lot for the reply superjazzyJa(me)s ! Yes I see how the matching of the amps and the driver has a lot to do with the wonderfull sound in them. I also read on another thread that the issues related with ''harshness, shrillness or ball peen hammer effects'' can also be found on textile or silk tweeters, it seems like you said that the amp matching and I read also, the crossover frequency point or something related with crossover and resonance can also affect the way the driver will sound, if wonderful and live or harsh, shrill and ball peen hammer like.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1779
Yes Jay, there are many factors that effect sound quality. Room acoustics, an individual's ear/brain combo and others still.

Btw, most folks here just call me "James" rather than type out the whole nick. Glad to meet you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Thanks a lot James ! So for example how would room acoustics affect the sound quality ? Like would it sound better in an open area ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1786
Every room is different Jay. The shape, size, material, location of speakers and many other factors effect sound quality. More about this later.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1787
Sorry Jay, got interupted. Late last month, I moved my speakers to a new location within my listening room. It's a small room and choices are limited, so I have to be inventive. One thing I wanted to do is get the speakers further away from the wall without having them in the way. I'm happy to say, I was able to do this with fantastic results. The midrange benefits the most in this particular case.

Basically, moving your speakers closer to a wall will boost the bass. Moving them closer to corners will boost it even more. My speakers were too close to the wall. Moving speakers closer together or further apart will effect your sound stage. Having carpet vs tile or hard wood floors, furnature and its placement and many other factors will effect the sound. I would recommend trying your speakers in different places around the room, closer together, further apart, closer to and further from walls, etc. Don't be afraid to try ideas of your own. Let me know how it goes ok?G6

Gold Member

Post Number: 1791
Also Jay, Stu Pitt told me about a book by Jim Smith called "Get Better Sound". I understand it was $30 and is now $50 with a DVD. I do not know if the $30 sans DVD version is still available, but it would probably give you a few good ideas. Btw, I don't know where that "G6" came from on my last post. Maybe my subcon was thinking about Pontiacs. Lol!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us