Speaker system question

Username: Llpittner

Minneapolis, MN United States

Post Number: 1
I am looking for advice on the best home theater system available for the most reasonable price. I am looking to spend not more than $150 - this may mean purchasing a used system or just buying speakers if necessary. I already have a receiver. I am really not at all technologically savvy. This would be a gift for someone who loves blasting music in the living room.

I have been looking at the Yamaha NS-SP1800BL 5.1-Channel Home Theater Speaker System.

Any suggestions?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17004

That speaker system isn't going to blast music more than once - and, in reality, not even that long. The speakers are rated at 82dB sensitivity which indicates they will not play loud with any receiver. If blasting music is truly in the objectives, you'll need speakers which have no less than 90dB sensitivity. I know of no $150 system which would match those two requirements of price and volume potential.

If you want to buy a system that will withstand some punishment, you're going to have to up your budget. A pair of Cerwin Vega CMX5's will probably take the abuse, but a pair - no surround system, no subwoofer - is more than your presently allotted price limit.

Gold Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 1764
Laura, in addition to increasing the budget, why not go with stereo (2 channels only)? If the person you're buying this gear for just wants it for music, why have surround? Most music recordings are in stereo and sound best that way.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us