Receiver/Speaker Combo Question

Username: Bburgdave

Post Number: 1
I have a pair of Cerwin Vega VS-100 speakers http://www.amazon.com/Cerwin-Vega-VS-100B-Single-Floorstanding-Speaker/dp/B00003L4EX (125 watts, 6 ohms, 95 db sensitivity) that I have been driving with an Onkyo TX-V940 stereo receiver (100 watts at 8 ohms). The receiver is going now (after about 20 years) and I need to replace it, and I am wondering if, really, the Onkyo TX 8050 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UR486G) would be adequate for my needs (it is rated 80 watts @ 8 ohms, 160 watts @ 4 ohms). I like the receiver, but want to make sure it is sufficiently powered for these speakers without causing distortion or damage to either component. I have noticed that there seem to be two camps on this issue: (1) overpower the receiver compared to the speakers so that you only use clean power and (2) unless you are blasting, you only need a few watts to drive the speakers if they have good sensitivity, so even a smaller receiver should work for most uses. I do not really blast my music, so I think this receiver should really be fine, but would appreciate hearing from others!

Dave

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2652
Given that CV speakers are generally easy to drive and you claim moderate habits, no problem.

The sub out may come in handy downstream sometime.

Both of your suppositions may be true. Your speakers will tell you when they are distressed with too much power. Too little with CVs is not likely. One of those little 10 watt T-amps would technically be enough power.

You'll never use more than 30 or 40 watts anyway, even when trying to get evicted or have the neighbors burn you out. What you would be covered for with the Onkyo at nearly 150 watts is the fact that music is NOT RMS. The peaks in music will use maybe 10x the average power. So, Cruising along at 15 watts with 10x that in 'reserve' sounds fine and will not damage anything....except perhaps your relations with neighbors. Is it TOO late to convince them you are deaf?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16998

As leo suggests a T amp would be fine with your CV's. I can guarantee better sound with one of the small chip amps over either Onkyo; http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?srchExt=MFG&srchMfg=470

However, the T amps trade their sound quality for bare bones features. No tuner, though you can buy a tuner or possibly still use the old Onkyo receiver's tuner. And they are input limited along with few buttons and knobs. They are, though, an absolute blast when you hear the quality and quantity of sound that can come from an amp you can hold in the palm of your hand.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the feedback guys. As an experiment, last night I tested volume on my old Onkyo (it still works, it just has a few "issues") to see how high I was really turning it up to get it to what is probably the maximum volume I can listen to without being expelled from the house. The volume control, at that point, was at 8 out of about 40. For me, at least, that supported what I was thinking and what you said. Regarding the T amp, etc, I have been quite happy with my Onkyo until recent issues started to crop up, and I am very interested in the features provided (at a reasonable price) by the 8050, so I think I am going to try that one out. I have a nice Wifi setup in the house and I have a pile of music on the home LAN, and I am also interested in trying out Pandora, Slacker and some of the other internet music providers with it. I will be sure to post my thoughts on it after I have tried it.

What is your view on the speakers I currently have, btw? I have read mixed reviews as I have been researching this. They are still in mint condition, btw ... (see my prior comments on not being "allowed" to blast my music ).

Dave

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17001

The CV's are exactly what they are billed to be. Nothing more and nothing less. If you like them, keep them. If you hear better, don't look back.

Post Number: 3
In case folks are curious, I did end up getting the Onkyo TX-8050 receiver and I was worried for nothing. It is a nice receiver and I only have the volume set at "10" for normal listening on this combo of speakers and receiver (10 out of 80 I believe). I did get "permission" to crank it up over the weekend, just to test it (Pink Floyd of course) and the highest I could go to without breaking windows was 40 on the receiver (at which point the speakers sounded great, no distortion or clipping). So Leo and Jan were correct and I do believe that even a much smaller receiver or amp would have worked for me.

Gold Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 1792
I'm glad that worked out for you. Thanks for letting know how it went.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us