Slot Loaded Open Baffle Project (Nelson Pass)

Gold Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 1434
Great read.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/0911/slot_loaded_open_baffle_speaker.htm

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16950
>

Almost anything from Nelson Pass is interesting reading.

I've got a few comments on the article but no time to discuss this right now. My holiday week is beginning early and I've got a few other things more important to tend to right now.

Good find though, Chris. Brings back memories of past audio products and projects - some successful and some not so much.

Gold Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 1128
I came across this post, which got me thinking that one day I should try to build my own pair of OB speakers. It doesn't seem overly complicated.

http://forums.audioreview.com/speakers/tweeter-super-37331.html

Also, here's an interesting (so far) whitepaper from Decware on the subject, which I've only started reading:

http://www.decware.com/newsite/diy/ZOBWHITEPAPER.pdf

Gold Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 1435
OB projects can be very straightforward, or not....depending on what outcomes you have in mind. Lots of good reading on the subject on the forums at Hawthorne Audio as well. Keep in mind that OB speakers require a good distance from the front wall (3' min), and depending on the size of the baffle, can dominate a room. If you get them setup correctly though, they can be very rewarding.

"Almost anything from Nelson Pass is interesting reading."

True enough.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2624
Is there such a thing as OB linesource? I'm thinking something like 8@4" vertical array. Maybe end up adding a bipole pair of supertweeters facing fore and aft and perhaps even a sub.......I know that'd make the dread 3-way, but I'd start with the simplest and no x-over.

Gold Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 1438
OB linesource ? I suppose. Although I thought the purpose of a linesource was to create a very directional speaker for large rooms. An open linesource that's also a dipole seems to me a conflict in purposes.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Canada

Post Number: 3583
Ok, I want to build an OB speaker now. Thanks for the link Chris. After reading it, I looked over the internet for a more size conscious design and found a few even with adjustable swinging sides that look interesting. Did some pricing on Parts Express, and figure you can get all the hardware including x-overs for just a bit over 200 with shipping that would provide a very very strong base for a build. Just need wood, and a design.lol

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2625
Magnepan is linesource and dipole. Love 'em or hate 'em, they have a big following and a huge DIY community.

Gold Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 1439
I guess I never thought of Magnepan as a linesource Leo. How so ?

Gold Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 1440
I just brushed up on the planar technology again, and I answered my own question above. Planars being a linesource isn't something I had thought about at all. Because of the nature of the technology though, the dynamics of the linesource is quite different from traditional cones. Planar speakers are more directional across a broader range of frequencies than a standard speaker cone to start with, the array seems to be used to gain amplitude, and perhaps a slight gain in the frequency ranges.

I guess that answers your question above as well, as in some sense planars are also "open baffle".

Gold Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 1762
Those monster speakers look neat, but my music room wouldn't be the place for 'em. I like the concept. I remember seeing a number of cheaper and smaller variations on the idea that just weren't up to the task of competing with or even approaching their performance.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us