Cant get Marantz 6005 to play back DTS Surround.

Bronze Member
Username: Diggytooth8

Post Number: 20
I have my Marantz 6005. I have it set to "auto" so it automatically plays back whatever is sent to it. I don't have surround speakers yet. When I put in a DVD with DTS it will only play Dolby Digital 5.1. I then went to the Marantz menu and told it to only play DTS Surround signals, then no sound came out. I have tried this with 2 different DVD's, both with a DTS option. Again I am using a progressive scan DVD player, hooked up with a optical digital cable. My old JVC AVR would except and play back DTS from this very same DVD player watching the very same DVD's.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16905

I assume you are setting the DVD player to extract the DTS files for each disc you insert. In other words, in the set up menu of the DVD disc, you are going to the "DTS" option and selecting that as your preferred playback format for that specific disc.

" I don't have surround speakers yet. When I put in a DVD with DTS it will only play Dolby Digital 5.1. I then went to the Marantz menu and told it to only play DTS Surround signals, then no sound came out."

Your wording here is not informative and actually reads as contradictory to itself. If you have no surround speakers, you cannot play back a surround (5.1) format. The receiver might default to a Dolby Digital mode which allows 2.1 or 3.1 playback but you obviously cannot playback on speakers you don't have.

Try setting the receiver to something like "DTS Stereo" and you should have some sort of playback. I don't know the specific mode selections you have on the new Marantz receiver for DTS playback, but select whichever comes closest to your present system set up and you should have sound.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Thank Jan,
Yes, in the set up menu of the DVD disc I set it to DTS. I guess I get confused with terminology. There are numerous different DTS modes on the AVR .None say DTS stereo. It doesn't give you an option to switch between them anyways. I set the AVR to "Auto" which is what the Marantz tech suggested, according to the manual automatically plays whatever signal is sent to it. I set the DVD to DTS. The AVR will only play it in Dolby Digital 5.1. If you then hit the surround button on the remote, none of the DTS modes come up as an option.
FYI: I was able to listen to these discs in DTS on my really old JVC AVR with the same speakers, no surround speakers hooked up either. Same DVD player.

Thanks Jan.

http://www.manualowl.com/m/Marantz/SR6005/Manual/222912

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16908

Did you buy the receiver locally?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Yes. Authorized dealer. I am going to talk to a Marantz tech while I am sitting in front of the unit in a little while.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16909

The tech should be able to answer your questions. Otherwise, and possibly in addition to, I would go down to the dealer and ask for some after the sale service. They should be able to load a DTS disc into their source player (certainly they should if you take one down with you) and check for proper function of the 6005 they have on display.

Call ahead to make an appointment if needed and ask about any difficulties you might encounter with their displays; i.e., is this sort of demonstration possible or do they have cables they can use that are a similar type to your optical cables. Not the same brand but just an optical cable to make a connection identical to your own. Just get an idea they are willing to help someone who just dropped a fairly good sum of cash with them.

If your receiver or their's doesn't perform as Marantz suggests it should, I would become more interested in pursuing a resolution from Marantz.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
I will continue to look into this.
Thanks again Jan.
You provide top notch advice.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us