More bass possible.

Username: Marcotv

Didam, Gelderland Netherlands

Post Number: 2
Goodday. Im sorry but my english writing is a bit rusty.

First to introduce myself.. My name is marco. 31springs young.
i'm from holland. and i
enjoy a good bit of music.
My current setup is a homebuild zalman htpc.
quadcore 2,66- 6gig memory- soundblaste xi-fi extreme audio
ati radeon hd 4800- 3terrab hd.

on a denon pma 1055r who controls 4x mb quart ql 1030s

I really enjoy this setup. the only thing i'm lacking is a deep bass.
high tone and low mid tones are no problem. But the low bass lacks power. My question is if its possible to put an active sub on the
computer or if its better to get a different amp and buy a passive sub.

thank u.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Stamford, Connecticut USA

Post Number: 4490
I'm not familiar with your speakers. Are they bookshelves or towers?

Are you running 4 speakers, and if so why?

If the speakers are capable of outputting the bass you want, it's most likely a placement issue. 4 speakers in a room for 2 channel music is not usually the best setup. 2 speakers should be able to get the job done, provided they're full range speakers.

Google search Audio Physic speaker set up and Master Set set up. Two very effective ways to place speakers. Different, yet very effective.

If your speakers are nookshelf speakers, you may want to look into a subwoofer. Use your current amp and add an active from someone like REL.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16882

Running through the Denon makes a powered sub a simple matter of a few more connections. Look for a powered sub with "speaker level" connections. The owner's manual will explain how to make the connections but, basically, you'll run from the amplifier to the sub and then from the sub to the speakers.

As Stu suggested speaker placement will affect bass. Place your speakers into corners of the room and you'll have more bass. Put them in corners and on the floor (or up tight against the ceiling) and the room will provide an additional +6dB of bass boost. Then you'll have to decide whether that sounds better than buying a powered subwoofer.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Canada

Post Number: 3575
I wasn't aware that MB Quart even made home speakers. I have their car speakers in my civic. MB Quart use to be known for car audio and at the time only manufactured such speakers.

Post Number: 3
http://www.yawaonline.com/mbquql63wayt.html

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/mb-quart/ql-s1030 /prd_120020_1594crx.aspx

Great speaker. A bit old.But failed to find a better speaker for the
same value. The guy who i bought them from sold 4. So i bought 4.
Going to try the audio physic.
For now im listening as it is at two speakers. the other two are dust collectors in fact.
Is not the volume they lack. i miss the bass.
guitarmusic perfect. good rock perfect.
But i also enjoy listening to this.

And with that kind of music they lack a bit bass.
@ Jan vigne. never thought of that. can u recomend a sub?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16883

I have no idea what's available in the Netherlands. There are several international companies with good reputations, REL being the most well reviewed. But KEF, B&W, JBL, etc all make a good product. If Hsu is available to audition, I would certainly rank them as high value products.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Stamford, Connecticut USA

Post Number: 4491
Looking at those speakers and specs, I highly doubt it's the speakers that are lacking bass. Placement is most likely the reason. Unless you're looking for dance club type bass, you shouldn't need a sub IMO.

Also, make sure everything is connected properly. On the speaker cables, + to + and - to -, both speakers and at the amp end.

And makes sure your settings on your integrated amp are correct, if there are any such settings.

I haven't heard MB Quart home speakers, but their car audio is superb. The home audio stuff got great reviews, but somehow didn't make an impact on the market. Not sure why.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3576
Interesting speakers...who knew?

I agree with Stu, those speakers should provide you with lots of bass IMO. Again, lots of bass could mean you are looking for dance club style bass. Stu's recommendation on checking your polarity of speaker cable to amp is key as that will cancel most bass. Make sure + goes to + and - to - .

If your simply looking for crazy bass for music but keeping it accurate I would go with a REL or HSU on a budget. Martin Logan has some killer subs as well, and of course the the king sub of all subs is the JL Fathom. But come at a hefty price. http://home.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?prod_id=375

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3577
If you stand it any one corner of the room while music is playing does the music become more noticeable?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16884

I've sold MB Quart speakers on several ocassions when they have been distributed in the US. As with many European speaker lines they come and go from the US as the companies see a large market share but never quite hit on what makes Amreican tastes in speakers sellable.

MB Quart has issues which are common to many of the European brands, they aren't voiced to a typical American taste. For the most part they are meant for smaller rooms and have a more "BBC"-ish flavor to their balance. Qualities are more likely to be aimed at midrange clarity and nuance plus a speaker system that doesn't draw attention to its location in the room. It wasn't until the mid-'80's when B&W and then KEF made a serious effort at building speakers which appealled to the "big" and bass heavy, more three-way-speaker-sounding US taste (think JBL and you're not far off other than JBL in America has actually become more "European" than their pre-1990's ancestors which were basic "just cut a hole in the box" bass reflex boomers - this was long before any speaker manufacturers knew about and certainly before they embraced Thiele-Small parameters) that European speakers began to sell in substantial numbers in the States and thus worldwide.

When thinking about the MB Quart line I would say think more of a Harbeth or even Canton-like balance to the speakers. Bass extension is typically not the problem but bass weight can be for certain types of music and listeners. I don't know what the op would label his typical music but I would guess - judging from what he's offered as examples - his preference tends toward trance music. This music relies on a somewhat heavy bass drone and certainly MB Quarts wouldn't be the first speaker I would have demonstrated for anyone who gave that as a musical preference.

Still, room placement would be my first suggestion as a primarily electronically originated musical style is unlikely to depend on outstanding holographic soundstaging and three dimensional imaging. Walking the room from one end to the other would be the place to begin. If the bass changes in character and quanitity along the distance of the room, exploiting that room addition or ignoring the room problems would have obvious results in speaker sound. Should the speakers or listening position be settled in a room null, standing waves would wipe out all but the upper regions of the speakers' bass response aming them sound even more unbalanced than they really are. In this case, moving the speakers or the listening chair are the best options. Any subwoofer placed in that same room-null position would suffer the same standing wave issues and still wouldn't produce satisfactory bass power and weight.

But I wouldn't go by a photo or even the specs on most European speaker lines should I be trying to judge just what response they might produce. If you're generally used to American or built-to-American-tastes speaker lines, what you expect isn't likely to be what you hear.

Post Number: 5
Sorry for the late reaction. Dont have lots of time to visit the www.
Great tips btw. thx.

The connections are good. The cables have a print on them. And i've run them through from one end to the other.

You have a very good point jan. And thats the understatmend in the difference in taste. My first set was marantz. stylish as a brick but the sound of angles. untill my small cousin helped them with a screwdriver. A shame. Then i owned i home theatre set of jbl. Dont remember the serie number. But the sound was to american for me.
Very very loud. but lacks the finesse. Great sub but lousy in the high. Great for watching movies. And electronic music or reggea. But to rough for the other kinds of music i like to listen.

I was shopping for a more expensive set of B&W. And the guy selling them also sold this set of mb's My first listening to them was with the simpel minds. ub40 and creedence clearwater. i must tell you is was sold.

But i also like to listen to percussion. drum and bass and a loungy form of dubstep.
The jbl's where great for that sort of music. But when u turned the sub down for the other kinds of music. the sound was poor at least.
The speakers i own now are great with guitar, accapellas ballads ect. But they lack the bass with the dnb.

I've looked into kef and rel. But the only ones i could find here are active ones. What is better. Is it possible i buy a passive sub and connect it to a port on my amp as regular speaker. or should i buy an active and connect is to my computer. active ones are easier to come by. The most passive ones are the big drive in home disco ones who are to big and ugly to put in my room .
i like it when i can turn the sub off when i want to.

thx.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 5609
An active sub would be just fine. Passive subs as you mentioned aren't really meant for home audio use; in fact many of the passive subs are either for commercial use or very cheap ones used in box-set home theater systems.

Your two music clips sound phenomenal with a subwoofer.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16888

Buy the active sub. You can adjust an active sub more to your tastes and to the room than is possible with a passive sub.

Post Number: 6
thanks for the great advice guys.
i've found a rel quiake 2 which is in my budget range at the moment.
100-120w small box. speaker facing downwards

when this setup is complete i'll show them here.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us